• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

I've made a couple of adjustments to my mock draft after seeing a couple on different sites. In most of the mocks I've seen, some really good players fell to the second round. (I don't think this will happen come draft day).

1st round (2nd overall)

Matt Kalil

Posted Image

What more can I say. Right now he is the best tackle in the country, a much better prospect on the O-line then his brother coming out of college. He's done a great job in keeping his QB (Matt Barkley) upright, and would be a great addition to the Panthers' line. Next year our line should be one of the best with Kalil-Wharton-Kalil-Bell-Gross. (Mr. Scot, go ahead and update your sig right now)

2nd Round (34th overall)

Manti Te'o

Posted Image

This is one of the players who most current mock drafts don't have going in the first round. If this is the case, we should nab him. He shows to have good speed, and can rush the passer. He's a sure tackler, and has size as well. His coverage skills aren't that great, but he more than makes up for it with his speed. Te'o also has a knack for the ball. Not easily fooled by play fakes, and that is deadly to QBs if he is rushing them.

2nd round (Via trade)

Jared Crick

Posted Image

Again, another guy that has fallen in most current mock drafts. The main reason he has fallen is because of his injury, which didn't allow him to play up to par this year and sidelined him halfway through the season. If he does well in the combine process, he will be a sure fired first round pick. If he doesn't, I think he will be the steal of the draft for us. In all the videos I've saw him in, he was constantly in the back field, making the QB move out of the pocket. Entering this season, he was the top prospect at DT in college. It baffles me how people seem to forgotten he even exist. With Ron Edwards coming back next year, if we brought this guy in, we will finally have a run stopper and a disruptive force in the middle of our D-line.

3rd Round (Via Trade)

Joe Adams

Posted Image

As someone else said before, Joe Adams is a Steve Smith clone. The Armanti Edwards experiment is pretty much officially done, so Joe Adams will give us a legitimate threat on punt returns. I don't expect Naanee to be here next year, giving Adams the opportunity to be either the third or fourth guy in the receiver line-up. (battling with Lafell to be the third guy)

4th Round

Robert Blanton

Posted Image

A local talent who I believe will be star at the corner position in this league. Not only does he have size and long arms to bat away passes, he also has Asomugha-like technique in man coverage schemes. Having him and Gamble gaurding their guys will allow our safeties to roam free. (This year, all I see is Godrey and Martin hauling tail to cover Munnerlyn's or Butler's mis-tackles, not to mention the mis-tackles of pretty much the whole team.) All of the guys I mentioned so far in my mock are quality starters, but I am the most excited about getting this guy!

5th round

Robert Golden

Posted Image

Lately I've watch a whole lot of sorry special team play, and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. For once can we get some cats in there that can tackle the opposing punt returner or kick returner! With Robert Golden, I believe I'm getting that guy. He is a hard hitter, and has the speed to close in on guys. He's also a true defensive back. By that I mean he can play safety and corner. I'm still holding out on Sherrod Martin, because as many of you know, he's dropped a bit in tackling guys and still hasn't lived up to any ball hawking potential. So instead of having guys like Jordan Pugh sitting behind him, Robert Golden will give Martin a real run for his money.

6th round

Danny Trevathan

Posted Image

I'm stealing one from Cat'sGrowl's mock haha. According to nfldraftscout's website, they have Danny going in the 6th round. As CG stated, he's a tackling machine, and that is exactly what we need right now on special teams. Having both Golden and Trevathan on special team coverage, between the two of them, we shouldn't see another run back for a score next year.

7th Round

Kellen Moore

Posted Image

Projected starters for next year. (Along with FA acquisitions and not including traded players.)

Offense

QB: Cam Newton, Derek Anderson?, Kellen Moore ®
RB: DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Josh Vaughn?
FB: Jerome Felton, Richie Brockel
TE: Greg Olsen, Gary Barnidge, Ben Hartsock
WR: David Gettis, Brandon Lafell, Early Doucet (FA)
WR: ?, Joe Adams ®, Kealoha Pilares
LT: Matt Kalil ®, Garry Williams
LG: Travelle Wharton, Mackenzy Bernadeau
C: Ryan Kalil, Geoff Hangartner
RG: Byron Bell, Geoff Schwartz
RT: Jordan Gross, Lee Ziemba?

Defense

DE: Mario Williams (FA), Thomas Keiser
DT: Antonio Garay (FA), Ron Edwards, Sione Fua
DT: Jared Crick ®, Terrell McClain
DE: Charles Johnson, Antwaan Applewhite
OLB: James Anderson, Danny Trevathan ®
MLB: Jon Beason, Manti Te'o ®, Dan Connor, Thomas Williams
OLB: Manti Te'o ® or Thomas Davis
CB: Robert Blanton ®, Capt. Munnerlyn, Robert Golden ®
FS: Sherrod Martin, Myron Rolle (FA)
SS: Charles Godfrey, Robert Golden ®
CB: Chris Gamble, Brandon Hogan, Robert Golden ®

Special Teams

K: ?
P: ?
KR: Kealoha Pilares
PR: Joe Adams ®

Edited by Matthias, 23 November 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#2 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

6th round

Danny Trevathan

Posted Image

I'm stealing one from Cat'sGrowl's mock haha. According to nfldraftscout's website, they have Danny going in the 6th round. As CG stated, he's a tackling machine, and that is exactly what we need right now on special teams. Having both Golden and Trevathan on special team coverage, between the two of them, we shouldn't see another run back for a score next year.

I mentioned him over the weekend in the SEC thread.

We all disagree on where he would go. A lot of time between now in the draft but I'm guessing he'd be gone by this round.

#3 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

I mentioned him over the weekend in the SEC thread.

We all disagree on where he would go. A lot of time between now in the draft but I'm guessing he'd be gone by this round.

Yeah, I'm guessing perhaps 5th as the latest. Yet if he's there in the sixth, we will be in good position to get him.

#4 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

so ummm how did we get an extra 2nd and 3rd?

#5 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I still think trading Smitty would cripple this offense and not get us near the value of keeping him. I understand your contract concerns with him but I think that can and will be worked out.

so ummm how did we get an extra 2nd and 3rd?

smith trade is probably the 2nd, not sure on 3rd

#6 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

It should be somewhat easy to pick up a third. If we get Mario Williams, then Greg Hardy could pull a third in, if not a second. I still want to see what Smith can bring in, because even despite his age, I think a team on the cusp would be willing to give something for him. I also believe Gettis will turn out to be a taller Marvin Harrison. He has speed, and can run crisp routes. If we keep Smith (who has an argument of still being payed elite money), we will have problems in keeping J-Stew and other young guys who are and will be excelling. I'm still reserved about the whole thing for now.

#7 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Damn man your living in a dream world

#8 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Smith is worth far, far more to this offense than Stew is, but I hope we can find a way to keep them both. I just don't think that a 2nd round pick would really be worth to this team what Smitty, even an aging Smitty, is worth to the offense. Obviously getting something over nothing is good but I feel like there is another option.

I can not believe we would get a 2nd for Hardy. While there is reason to be excited, that seems extremely high.

I also think keeping Hardy and going after other needs on the O or D line, or even CB, would be a better bang for our buck than trading Hardy and signing Mario Williams. Obviously a lot of that depends on where we go in the draft though... but I have this feeling that Mario Williams won't be a Panther next year.

#9 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

who's going to be the first poster on here to post a mock that doesn't include the perpetually popular "trade-down" scenario

#10 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

He's not trading down, he's trading Steve Smith and Greg Hardy

#11 Gin and Juice

Gin and Juice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

With all due respect, this draft is highly not likely. If it did then I would nut myself! However, we do not trade Hardy to make room for oft injured Williams. Dont know where williams goes but Im pretty confident it will not be here. If he is......great. Maybe he gives us the home area discount, but hardy has to stay with the team that builds through its draft.

#12 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Our passing game is the only thing keeping us remotely competitive and you want to enter the season with our top 2 WRs being Brandon LaFell and David Gettis returning from an ACL tear...

Posted Image

#13 Gin and Juice

Gin and Juice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

I noticed your depth chart is clausenless! We will trade him for something not just cut him. I'm mean Damn, look what Charlie Whitehurst brought in. I think we can at least get a 6th for him!

#14 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

He's not trading down, he's trading Steve Smith and Greg Hardy

lol just started reading this

he's got Gettis at WR1 and a question mark at WR2.... yea that's a much improved WR core

#15 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

matthias managed to condense all the terrible roster move suggestions he's made the past few days in one convenient thread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com