37 replies to this topic

#1 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

http://www.eweek.com...-Powers-504520/

This was originally posted by E9 in the lounge...I took the liberty of posting it here since I think it deserves further discussion among you serious-minded folks...I for one think this is pretty damn scary.....

...The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 introduced in the Senate would allow the president to shut down private Internet networks. The legislation also calls for the government to have the authority to demand security data from private networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule or policy restricting such access...

...According to the bill's language, the president would have broad authority to designate various private networks as a "critical infrastructure system or network" and, with no other review, "may declare a cyber-security emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic to and from" the designated the private-sector system or network...

...In another section of the bill, though, the president is required to report to Congress on the feasibility of an identity management and authentication program "with appropriate civil liberties and privacy protections."...

...The CDT's Nojeim stressed that are a "number of good things in the bill," including creation of a cyber-security czar, scholarships for cyber-security programs and collaborations between the government and the private sector. While urging Congress to change the bill, he argued that the "problematic provisions shouldn't crowd out the beneficial provisions of the bill." ...

#2 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,362 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

One right after another will fall till the people start revolting against.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

http://www.eweek.com...-Powers-504520/

This was originally posted by E9 in the lounge...I took the liberty of posting it here since I think it deserves further discussion among you serious-minded folks...I for one think this is pretty damn scary.....

Like anything, depends on how it is defined, and used. In many ways, the president already has this power, I guess they are just trying to better define it.

The president aleady has the power to close roads, airports, etc... in a national emergency. Some may not like it, but sometimes its necessary.

Do you know that the government has the legal authority to lock people up without a trial in a national emergency, and that it was actually spelled out in the Constitution?

#4 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

the obama administration hasn't even finished their review of cyber security policy. this bill doesn't have a number yet, much less have a chance of seeing the light of day.

it was written by olympia snowe and john rockefeller. two of the most bipartisanly and universally hated people in government.

people concerned over this are a) ron paul nerds or B) drama queens

#5 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

the obama administration hasn't even finished their review of cyber security policy. this bill doesn't have a number yet, much less have a chance of seeing the light of day.

it was written by olympia snowe and john rockefeller. two of the most bipartisanly and universally hated people in government.

Just wait til you can't get on the huddle one day...:)

#6 dexterpyro

dexterpyro

Huddle's Master Chef

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationWilson, NC

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

It is kind of ineresting as there have been thoughts that terrorists were/are using MMORPG games to communicate... I guess we might as well give up all privacy so we can be "safe"

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

The only reason I am posting now is because TEH TERRORISTS CRASHED MY GAME SERVER!

#8 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

I'm sorry we all won't apathetically sit idly by while the government burns the Constitution... how could you not be concerned? These bills are streaming in, one right after another, and they are all very unsettling... what is even more unsettling is how easily they are all passed through Congress. I am not a "Ron Paul" nerd... This movement may have been ignited by his campaign, but spreads so much farther than that. Dramatic? If the language in the GIVE Act didn't make you just a little bit dramatic, then the problem lies with you, not me. The worst part of all this, is while all of this is happening, you don't hear a peep from the American people.. Why is it that people like yourself are the ones doing all the smearing?

Edited by StepandFetch, 05 April 2009 - 02:35 AM.

#9 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

I'm sorry we all won't apathetically sit idly by while the government burns the Constitution... how could you not be concerned? These bills are streaming in, one right after another, and they are all very unsettling... what is even more unsettling is how easily they are all passed through Congress. I am not a "Ron Paul" nerd... This movement may have been ignited by his campaign, but spreads so much farther than that. Dramatic? If the language in the GIVE Act didn't make you just a little bit dramatic, then the problem lies with you, not me. The worst part of all this, is while all of this is happening, you don't hear a peep from the American people.. Why is it that people like yourself are the ones doing all the smearing?

He was only concerned when he perceived that Bush was doing it...The fact that the DEMS are enslaving us to big government doesn't concern him at all.

#10 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,440 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

Its not burning the constitution. Thats just as wrong now as all the "bush is destroying the constitution" threads were during the Bush administration. Heck, the bill isn't even before congress yet.

Some seem to pretend otherwise, but the constitution granted the government emergency powers during national emergencies. Technology and requirements have changed, so those emergency powers need to change. We need to actually wait to see if the bill actually becomes a law and what it consist before we go into panic mode/black helicopter mode.

#11 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

He was only concerned when he perceived that Bush was doing it...The fact that the DEMS are enslaving us to big government doesn't concern him at all.

yeah that dang dem Olympia Snowe ®

#12 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

why do you always capitalize "dems?" I get the same feeling reading your posts as I do when my girlfriend says something real passive aggressive about "the TRASH not taking itself out."

#13 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

Its not burning the constitution. Thats just as wrong now as all the "bush is destroying the constitution" threads were during the Bush administration. Heck, the bill isn't even before congress yet.

Some seem to pretend otherwise, but the constitution granted the government emergency powers during national emergencies. Technology and requirements have changed, so those emergency powers need to change. We need to actually wait to see if the bill actually becomes a law and what it consist before we go into panic mode/black helicopter mode.

If you wait until it become law, it's too late!

It has a number now, S773 ... is it time to worry now?

http://www.motherjon...ontrol-internet

The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (PDF) gives the president the ability to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" and shut down or limit Internet traffic in any "critical" information network "in the interest of national security." The bill does not define a critical information network or a cybersecurity emergency. That definition would be left to the president.

#14 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

yeah that dang dem Olympia Snowe ®

Everybody knows shes a RINO.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

theres the excuse, it's picking up steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.