Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cyber Security Bill

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Its not burning the constitution. Thats just as wrong now as all the "bush is destroying the constitution" threads were during the Bush administration. Heck, the bill isn't even before congress yet.

Some seem to pretend otherwise, but the constitution granted the government emergency powers during national emergencies. Technology and requirements have changed, so those emergency powers need to change. We need to actually wait to see if the bill actually becomes a law and what it consist before we go into panic mode/black helicopter mode.

If you wait until it become law, it's too late!

It has a number now, S773 ... is it time to worry now?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/04/should-obama-control-internet

The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (PDF) gives the president the ability to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" and shut down or limit Internet traffic in any "critical" information network "in the interest of national security." The bill does not define a critical information network or a cybersecurity emergency. That definition would be left to the president.

Posted · Report post

yeah that dang dem Olympia Snowe ®

Everybody knows shes a RINO.

Posted · Report post

theres the excuse, it's picking up steam

Posted · Report post

huh?

Posted · Report post

He longs to be cookinwithsteam

Posted · Report post

Everybody knows shes a RINO.

lol.

Posted · Report post

If you wait until it become law, it's too late!

It has a number now, S773 ... is it time to worry now?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/04/should-obama-control-internet

Nope.

I gave the actual text a quick read, didn't really see anything all that bad.

Mother Jones site said this.

The bill does not only add to the power of the president. It also grants the Secretary of Commerce "access to all relevant data concerning [critical] networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule, or policy restricting such access." This means he or she can monitor or access any data on private or public networks without regard to privacy laws.

Thats actually not true as there are already other laws that safeguard private information. And then, there is always the fourth amendment.

They do need to clarify what would constitute a national emergency though.

Posted · Report post

why do you always capitalize "dems?" I get the same feeling reading your posts as I do when my girlfriend says something real passive aggressive about "the TRASH not taking itself out."

Yeah...DEMS/TRASH...All the same.

Posted · Report post

You have got to be the funniest guy in the trailer park.

Posted · Report post

I for one never plan on stopping the free exchange of ideas until Big Brother shoves a gun up my ass and pulls the trigger. Till then, they can talk about the legal ramifications all they want.

That said, this isnt the first time that the idea of the president being able to do anything in a time of peace without the need for review or proof has ever come up and it won't be the last.

Posted · Report post

I for one never plan on stopping the free exchange of ideas until Big Brother shoves a gun up my ass and pulls the trigger. Till then, they can talk about the legal ramifications all they want.

That said, this isnt the first time that the idea of the president being able to do anything in a time of peace without the need for review or proof has ever come up and it won't be the last.

The bill actually doesn't say anything about any of that.

It basically gives the president the authority to do to the Internet as was done to air traffic on 9-11. In my opinion, this is a neccessary thing, that probably will never be needed.

Posted · Report post

people screaming about wiretapping terror suspects are fine and dandy with this bill ... go figure.