Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inside the Play: Cam Newton to Steve Smith

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I didn't understand the point about throwing into a tight window that didn't exist yet. That doesn't make any sense.

Posted · Report post

I didn't understand the point about throwing into a tight window that didn't exist yet. That doesn't make any sense.

In other words, he had to place the ball within a window of opportunity that wasn't clearly framed by the players around it or by Steve Smith's simply standing there. He had to envision the play before it happened.

Posted · Report post

In other words, he had to place the ball within a window of opportunity that wasn't clearly framed by the players around it or by Steve Smith's simply standing there. He had to envision the play before it happened.

Good write-up dude! Go ahead and add this to your blog as well

Posted · Report post

Good write-up dude! Go ahead and add this to your blog as well

Thanks! I've added the video. Did anyone catch the announcer calling Cam "Peyton" right before the throw? How prescient. . .

Posted · Report post

Very nice analysis. I wish I could see the game like this.

Posted · Report post

Some good points were made, nice write up. Says sumn about Smittys explosiveness too. He got to the ball in a hurry!

Posted · Report post

Very informative keep up the good work.

Posted · Report post

Some good points were made, nice write up. Says sumn about Smittys explosiveness too. He got to the ball in a hurry!

Don't you you mean tumblr_lvn0e0WchO1qhjhdro1_250.jpg?

Posted · Report post

Out freakin standing breakdown.

Very, very good.

Cam makes a few passes every games that are kinda 'wow' throws.

This pass is an example of the outstanding coaching/gameplan/play design/teaching form Chudz and staff.

It shows the staffs confidence in Cam.

It shows Cam's confidence in his arm, the coaching behind the called play, Steve Smith and his fearlessness as a passer to make a throw into a tight window and of course it shows of his elite velocity.

Posted · Report post

Out freakin standing breakdown.

Very, very good.

Cam makes a few passes every games that are kinda 'wow' throws.

This pass is an example of the outstanding coaching/gameplan/play design/teaching form Chudz and staff.

It shows the staffs confidence in Cam.

It shows Cam's confidence in his arm, the coaching behind the called play, Steve Smith and his fearlessness as a passer to make a throw into a tight window and of course it shows of his elite velocity.

Thanks, I wanted to point out a throw that wasn't one of his deep bombs that, while great plays, also have an element of randomness to them unlike the more surgical darts typical of a Manning or a Brees.

And everytime I see a throw like this I go back to the draft scouting reports and wonder where the hell they got so far off on him.

Posted · Report post

This post does have excellent analysis, but I do have one issue with it...

Was this really the smartest play for Cam to attempt on that snap? Smitty was triple covered.. Yes...the throw and catch beat the coverage and it was an amazing play (having seen it live on TV), but come on! Shouldn't that mean that there was another reciever open. If Cam had pumped faked on that play and checked down to LaFell on the under route, they still would have picked up 10 yards and it wouldn't have been as risky of a play. What if the throw had not been perfect or what if Smitty had tipped the ball up instead of catching it. In both cases it is a sure interception. In fact most of Cam's INTs have come on similar plays. Its a tight window and the ball gets tipped.

I give Cam and Smitty credit for making the play...and to you for the great breakdown...but in my opinion it also reveals that Cam likes to force plays when there are more efficient (admittedly less flashy) options. I think this not only illustrates his tremendous skill, but also his inexperience.

Posted · Report post

This post does have excellent analysis, but I do have one issue with it...

Was this really the smartest play for Cam to attempt on that snap? Smitty was triple covered.. Yes...the throw and catch beat the coverage and it was an amazing play (having seen it live on TV), but come on! Shouldn't that mean that there was another reciever open. If Cam had pumped faked on that play and checked down to LaFell on the under route, they still would have picked up 10 yards and it wouldn't have been as risky of a play. What if the throw had not been perfect or what if Smitty had tipped the ball up instead of catching it. In both cases it is a sure interception. In fact most of Cam's INTs have come on similar plays. Its a tight window and the ball gets tipped.

I give Cam and Smitty credit for making the play...and to you for the great breakdown...but in my opinion it also reveals that Cam likes to force plays when there are more efficient (admittedly less flashy) options. I think this not only illustrates his tremendous skill, but also his inexperience.

He wasn't so much triple covered as there was just three defenders in the area. Cam threw the ball to a hole in the zone where he knew the route was heading. I'll take that decision making every day of the week.