Photo
- - - - -

Just say NO! to drafting a CB in the 1st.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

In an insanely deep draft class for the CB position, there is a slew of top talents that could be had in the second and third round that would be legitimate first round prospects in other years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Address the front 7. Get pressure on the QB and our Secondary instantaneously looks better. Address the CB position. Add very legitimate potential to it-but don't waste a 1st rounder on it. I could also list a handful of decent veteran CB's that should be available via Free Agency if you would like me to do that, also. Or, I could make mention of Hogan's potential. There are plenty of reasons that taking a CB in the first round is a wasted pick. Patrick Peterson went at 5 last year. We are currently sitting at 5. Is Morris Claiborne the prospect Peterson is? No.

Face it folks. We had our sexy pick last year. We aren't in line for another one this year. It's going to be a boring first round. Accept that. It's for the good of the franchise.

Edited by Cat'sGrowl, 01 December 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#2 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

if you can't find anything better than 'boring' at the 5 spot, you need to start drafting better

#3 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

The only way I see this happening is if we go Kalil in the first. But I can't see that working out.

I don't think drafting a DT/OLB where we would be drafting would have much value. I am not sure who'd be worth that pick at those positions. Devon Still? Not sold on him at our position.

#4 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Jblack or trade down. That said, PP7's don't grow on trees, Claiborne is really frickin good

#5 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Jblack or trade down. That said, PP7's don't grow on trees, Claiborne is really frickin good

Claiborne > PP7 when it comes to cornerback skills.

#6 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

For starters I envision us picking higher than five(by higher I mean I Serbia winning a few
more games this year) Secondly, as I've said many times now, trading almost seems like a certainty at this point. With the depth of this class, and Hurneys infatuation with moving down, I just have a hard time seeing it not happening at this particular spot.

#7 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Many analysts aren't even sold that Claiborne is the best CB propsect in this class. To say he's better than PP is well...hype.

#8 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Claiborne > PP7 when it comes to cornerback skills.

I think his ball skills are just as good too. PP is 6'3" 225 though.. ridiculous

#9 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I think his ball skills are just as good too. PP is 6'3" 225 though.. ridiculous

Hes 6'0 220
http://espn.go.com/n...atrick-peterson

Morris Claiborne seems like a hawk to me, but I honestly would be happy taking one in the 2nd round. Jenkins' stat lines are great and Hosley from Tech is a freak at times.

#10 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Unless we trade back in the first to get two first round picks, it's going to be tough hoping Jenkins falls to the 2nd. Him and Claiborne are really the only 2 I feel comfortable taking. Not saying the others won't amount to anything. But I have seen enough of Mo and Janoris that I feel confident saying they are great corners.

#11 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

Gilmore has really taken that next step this year. I wasn't his biggest fan comin into this year, but man, the guy has been truely a
shutdown guy this year. He's only a Junior, I could see him staying and being a guaranteed top 10 guy next year unless his play drops off.

Dennard is another one I really like. Nfldraftscout has him pegged as the best CB in this year's draft.

#12 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Gilmore has really taken that next step this year. I wasn't his biggest fan comin into this year, but man, the guy has been truely a
shutdown guy this year. He's only a Junior, I could see him staying and being a guaranteed top 10 guy next year unless his play drops off.

Dennard is another one I really like. Nfldraftscout has him pegged as the best CB in this year's draft.

Yeah I have heard of Dennard, just haven't seen him play.

I guess it all depends on where we pick. If we are anywhere from like 4-7 and Mo Claiborne is there take him. If Kalil is there (doubtful) select him, and then draft a CB in the 2nd.

#13 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 3,185 posts
  • Location910

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

I agree with the op, that why I don't have cb as a priority entering the draft. Well that and I think Hogan will be very good. We need to add more depth/talent to the DL, and LB crew with our early picks.

#14 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,512 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Obviously it could just be talk, but assuming the coaches really do like who we have at DT, and assuming there isn't a huge stud to take there early in this draft class, then why would we draft DT early?

I think CB and OLB are larger needs in some ways than DT when it comes to youth anyway. We are already so young at DT...

#15 dc6738549

dc6738549

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Many analysts aren't even sold that Claiborne is the best CB propsect in this class. To say he's better than PP is well...hype.

link?

maybe they said that last year but Claiborne now has pretty much unanimously solidified himself as the #1 defensive player in the draft.

There are a number of very good fringe first/second round LB prospects in the draft and a number of very good fringe first/second round WRs as well. Also just because those CBs you posted have nice grades doesn't mean they will be the difference makers that this defense needs. The top CBs in the league who are true difference makers (Revis, Bailey, Woodson) were all top 15 picks.

Edited by dc6738549, 01 December 2011 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com