Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

i aint neva gooton non a dats

#18 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

well... they obviously put a lot of money into the site.. its a nice site.

And he sayeth unto the crowd "First poureth all your riches into a proper website, the remainder give to the poor."

#19 HSCBandit07

HSCBandit07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

Pop Up Ads?

Some of you don't know how to computer.

:rofl:

#20 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Elevation's a nice church; Steven Furtick's preached at NewSpring and couple of times and he seems like a great guy, very well spoke and very passionate.

#21 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,707 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

And he sayeth unto the crowd "First poureth all your riches into a proper website, the remainder give to the poor."

thats what i hate about churchs that dive into massive sound systems and huge buildings and elaborate seating. none of that actually matters.

#22 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

thats what i hate about churchs that dive into massive sound systems and huge buildings and elaborate seating. none of that actually matters.

Gotta do something with all the tithes

#23 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

show me your tithes

#24 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

I would argue that it does matter, in this day and age at least. You have to be able to reach people, in America, in the 21st century. Christianity's great advantage, through history, has been its ability to change and evolve without changing its tenets one bit. This is just another form of that.

#25 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

hmmm...if only there was an annual membership fee that posters could pay that would eliminate the need to have advertising on the huddle!!!

wonder if I can get that in ontime for consideration for the best idea category on the annual huddle awards?

#26 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,004 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

I would argue that it does matter, in this day and age at least. You have to be able to reach people, in America, in the 21st century. Christianity's great advantage, through history, has been its ability to change and evolve without changing its tenets one bit. This is just another form of that.

where I go to church im always at odds with leadership over this. its a balance on doing stuff thats relatable and not letting that get in the way of the message.

i get to speak about 4 or 5 times a year to close to 700 people and because im not paid staff i can get pretty free on what i say(they can't fire me). i throw in tons of modern day references and have fun and I get some amazing responses which shows people do want some kind of fresh and interesting take.

#27 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

i get to speak about 4 or 5 times a year to close to 700 people and because im not paid staff i can get pretty free on what i say(they can't fire me). i throw in tons of modern day references and have fun and I get some amazing responses which shows people do want some kind of fresh and interesting take.

You are an increasingly odd individual.

#28 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

where I go to church im always at odds with leadership over this. its a balance on doing stuff thats relatable and not letting that get in the way of the message.

It's really a shift in methodology I think. For too long many churches have been of the mind, okay, we're here, so you need to come to US...and then maybe we'll let you in if you don't have long hair and are a Republican. I think a it's a reaction, espeically over the past ten years, and pastors and congregations are realizing that the idea is to meet people where they're AT, and then guide them to where they need to be. And, quite frankly, in America, the best way to do that is by loud, concert-like music and flatscreen TVs and well-made websites. Would that matter as much in, say, Kenya, where my church does missions? No. But it does matter here. No one is going to take Elevation seriously if they have a Web 1.0 angelfire hosted website. They certainly aren't going to take an interest in it.

#29 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,707 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

i guess the question is, where do you draw the line?

you don't want to be in some dusty warehouse yelling at the crowd because you didn't want to spend any money on a PA system. on the other hand spending truckloads of cash on the building is pointless because the people who are already in church aren't the ones that that need to be reached with jesus' message.

how do you strike that balance?
where do you draw that line?

my church has a serviceable sound system but the vast majority of our funds go towards community outreach, feeding the homeless, pumping resources into the foster care program, etc. we rent out a elementary school auditorium on sundays to avoid spending money on a building that we don't actually need.

not knocking the discipleship-centered model buuuuuut who are the ones jesus really calls us to go after?

just a thought.

#30 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

i guess the question is, where do you draw the line?

you don't want to be in some dusty warehouse yelling at the crowd because you didn't want to spend any money on a PA system. on the other hand spending truckloads of cash on the building is pointless because the people who are already in church aren't the ones that that need to be reached with jesus' message.

how do you strike that balance?
where do you draw that line?

my church has a serviceable sound system but the vast majority of our funds go towards community outreach, feeding the homeless, pumping resources into the foster care program, etc. we rent out a elementary school auditorium on sundays to avoid spending money on a building that we don't actually need.

not knocking the discipleship-centered model buuuuuut who are the ones jesus really calls us to go after?

just a thought.

I think you don't have to pick and choose. I'm going simply by Newspring, since that's the church I attend. They started with a group in a living room, then something like an auditorium, then the Sullivan Building in Anderson University, finally a multi-million dollar building in Anderson. They funded this venture entirely by donations and generosity of the congregation, BUT they could have never gotten the funding at all had the congregation grown to thousands upon thousands of people. And now I think the attendance is 15,000 with something like 7,000 salvations over the last few years, and I cannot say with any honesty that that would have occurred without all the affectations.

I guess it depends on your definition of need. Do we "need" the sound system and the three-thousand seat church and the huge screens? I don't guess we do. However, have THOUSANDS of people come to Christ because of them. I fervently believe that yes, they have. And in my mind, that makes them completely worth it.

It's certainly not the only model, and maybe not even the best, but I think it has done great things.To sort of bring it back to the OP, Elevation runs along the same lines of Newspring, so I think it's fair to compare the two. Newspring/Elevation have been able to minister, do missions, AND build large buildings because their congregations believe in Christ and tithe like they're supposed to...like I said at the beginning, I don't think it necessarily has to be a one or the other thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com