Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JawnyBlaze

Random mocks from around the net

28 posts in this topic

I went searching for videos or stats, but trying to find info on a DE's run defense isn't easy. Here's what ProFootballFocus said about him in general before the Indy game: .

And about the Lions game: .

Vikings game:

Couldn't find anything to help my argument about his run defense, but nothing pointing out that it was lacking either. I still thinking he is at least average when it comes to run defense and above average in pass rushing. And he's only played a year and a half. I think MUCH bigger upgrades can be had at other positions. I'd even rather get Brown from UNC in the 1st than Coples because it'd be a bigger upgrade by far, and I don't believe in spending picks that high in the 1st on a non 3-4 pass rushing LB.

Interesting find. I suppose I underrated Hardy's pass rush ability. Using the eyeball test, I see Hardy losing contain all the time which is mental aspect of run defense.. he just isn't filling the proper lane a lot of time because he is trying to make a play. This was Riveras only critiscm of Hardy.. he needs to trust the scheme and do his job.. otherwise he gives up big plays at times. And other times he doesn't hold the point of attack which is something else entirely. Either leverage, pad level, or strength.. not sure which.

But after reading this, I'd definitely give him another year before spending a high pick on a DE.

Hardy is a beast.. we can use some depth, but we have 2 fine starting DE's in our future..

Hardy is a beast.. we can use some depth, but we have 2 fine starting DE's in our future..

Yea when rushing the passer, he's always been weak against the run. He's always been poor at setting the edge and gets washed in the run game. He's getting better against the run game though and I'll give him credit for finally buying into playing run defense.

Yea when rushing the passer, he's always been weak against the run. He's always been poor at setting the edge and gets washed in the run game. He's getting better against the run game though and I'll give him credit for finally buying into playing run defense.

he has a year and a little more than half under his belt. chances are high a DE in the draft isn't going to be an immediate upgrade..

I see Hardy get pushed completely out of the play on run plays quite often. I would say he is below average in playing the run and average in pass rushing in comparison to other starting DE's in the NFL. You don't see Hardy blowing up running plays (ever) like CJ does.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hardy has all the tools to become a good DE for us, and this is a learning year for him, just like several players on our team. But, I do not think Hardy would be a starter on most NFL teams (right now) based on his inconsistency to hold the point of attack on run downs.

I specifically watch Hardy on most of the plays on defense, and I'm wondering if you watch any of the games at all. I've seen him make a couple of mistakes that are expected of a young DE, but nowhere near to justify hitting the restart button on the position. Hell, if anything, all I have seen is that the kid has amazing potential and was a steal.

Do not underestimate the Kraken! Next year will be a huge year for him, when DT's show up to help the line.

Do not underestimate the Kraken! Next year will be a huge year for him, when DT's show up to help the line.

Yes; the poo DT play has just further cemented how well Hardy is playing. Coples is unnecessary

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

Walter's Dec 15th update is pretty nice. Has us taking Claiborne in the 1st at #6 and Brandon Thompson in the 2nd (with Dontari Poe still on the board, not sure which I'd prefer at this point). The only other guys he has still available I would consider instead of Thompson or Poe (assuming our new scrub DTs still perform well for the rest of the year) would be one of the two Safetys (Markelle Martin or Mark Barron) or Dwight Jones or Lavonte David or Travis Lewis (I don't know anything about the two OLBs, but people have been talking about them around here and we need some quality OLB depth/possibly a starter).

http://footballdraftanalysis.webs.com/

Here's a 2 round mock updated today, notable because it's a combination of picks for us I hadn't seen before. It has us taking Devon Still in the 1st (with Kirkpatrick still on the board) and Vontaze Burfict in the 2nd. I'd consider that a successful first two picks. It loses a little credibility with its first round pick for the Bucs - Coples. They'd be more likely to take Still than Coples, in my opinion. But after spending their first two picks in each of the past two drafts on DEs and DTs I'd be shocked if they picked a Dlineman with their first pick this year.