Photo
- - - - -

Quinton Coples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#13 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

I'm not a big fan of Coples. I watched a good bit of UNC's games this year and he never popped off the screen. I agree he has a lot of talent, he just doesn't pass the eyeball test.
Plus, he got 4 of his 7.5 sacks against James Madison and Duke. Disappears in big games.

That is good insight.

#14 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

HUDDLER

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Yes for this year but Rivera and the DC said that they were forced to run the 4-3 because of the lack of training camp an oat's and because of the loss of key personnel i fully except the opposite to be the case next year with a base 3-4 defense and 4-3 looks!

I am not sure about that. Fua is not a 3-4 dlineman.. McClain might be able to play the 5 tech, but not sure... I don't think we waste a 3rd rounder on Fua if we plan on switching to the 34.

#15 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

HUDDLER

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

I am not sure about that. Fua is not a 3-4 dlineman.. McClain might be able to play the 5 tech, but not sure... I don't think we waste a 3rd rounder on Fua if we plan on switching to the 34.

Stanford ran a 3-4 defense and Fua was the nose tackle.

#16 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Stanford ran a 3-4 defense and Fua was the nose tackle.

Fua can't anchor a 4-3, much less a 3-4. Not in the NFL.

Let me be the first to say, I do not think DE is a top need of ours.. however, I think Coples would be a drastic upgrade over Hardy in terms of run stopping and I don't feel we would lose anything in pass rushing.

I'm not of the camp that believes Coples would be much (if any) of an upgrade over Hardy. I think people who think Hardy is a liability are just looking at sack numbers and thinking that tells the whole story for a DE. His only real flaw is that sometimes he over pursues letting a RB get to his gap, but he is in the backfield almost every play and plays the run a lot better than most seem to think. Coples looks good, but he's far from being the sure thing that Peppers, M. Williams or most top 5 or so picked DEs are. I don't think he's even as good a prospect as Quinn was.

#17 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

don't want Coples, would be a wasted pick..

#18 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

apparently people are sleeping on Hardy.. which is extremely hard to believe since dude has been a beast majority of the year..

#19 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'm not a big fan of Coples. I watched a good bit of UNC's games this year and he never popped off the screen. I agree he has a lot of talent, he just doesn't pass the eyeball test.
Plus, he got 4 of his 7.5 sacks against James Madison and Duke. Disappears in big games.

I watched every UNC game this year and this is exactly how I feel

He should be dominating and half the time Kareem Martin fairs just as well as him.

#20 Mainter

Mainter

• PipPip
ROOKIE

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

In case that we are switching towards a 3-4 defense it would be ideal to trade down and accumulate more picks.

Draft Devon Still in the 20's, then Dontari Poe in the second and BPA corner/LB with the extra pick gathered from trading down in the first.

#21 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

But...we're not switching to the 3-4. We're going to use it sometimes...just like we have been...

#22 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

But...we're not switching to the 3-4. We're going to use it sometimes...just like we have been...

not quite..

Here is the article on switching to the 3-4 defense in the future.. I think we start picking up the pieces to transition to the 3-4.. it says we are keeping the 4-3 base defense (for this year). So Poe could be the NT we are looking for.

http://www.cbssports...e-from-panthers

#23 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I think its the Pats that use a hybrid defense that switches between a 4-3 and 3-4. With Rivera's extensive knowledge of both it could be quite effective

#24 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

not quite..

Yea, I read that article. I think McDermott might have jumped the gun with some of those comments. I'll believe our switch to the 3-4 when I see it. For now, I still think we're just going to use it as a wrinkle occasionally.