Photo
- - - - -

Thinking Towards Next Season: Who Is Safe?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

Who is guaranteed to start?

Cam, Smith, Gross, Kalil, Olsen, D-Will/Stewart

Beason, Gamble, Anderson, CJ

Godfrey, Wharton, and Lafell are likely starters

#32 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

i think we'll cut wharton. 31 years old and not playing anywhere near up to his contract. bernadeau fits in at LG nicely.

cam, double trouble, smitty, lafell, olsen, gross, and kalil are safe on offense. i think all of our DEs are safe (including backups), beason, anderson, godfrey, gamble, neblett, senn, and captain will stick around. senn and capn for ST purposes mainly.

#33 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

I'm gonna focus just on defense:

(+)

First off: Beason, Anderson, Gamble, Godfrey, CJ, Hardy, & Edwards are safe

Guys like Butler, Applewhite, Nebbles, Shirley, Senn, Kearse, & Keiser (especially) have looked solid and have exceeded the expectations of a random depth player that goes nowhere. If they keep it up, I say most of these guys will be here at least on the big roster before cuts.

(-)

Guys like Munnerlyn, Martin, Connor (who has not played well), Stanford, and Norwood may in fact be gone if they do not show some late season spark...within this group may be the players that carry the late Fox-era "losing" attitude that many have alluded to recently. These types weren't here when Fox was at his peak therefore are in that murky transitional zone and have only experienced bad seasons/bad teams.

My only 100% sure-fire prediction: Pugh's as$ is gone

(~)

The Williams LBers, & Gaither are meh (probably gone) and the rookie DTs should be safe...but I'm not certain with Fua.

So with this in mind, priorities:

-Better LB depth, a healthy Beason (our whole team's leader)...and possibly a new starting OLB

-A more forceful D-line needs to be built through FA or draft...it doesn't matter. If the staff thinks they can upgrade, upgrade.

-CBs!! We're definitely getting at least 1 CB in the draft and I wouldn't mind going after a legit seasoned player in the FA. I haven't checked who's gonna be available yet but having someone who you know can make turnovers is a must.

-A legit safety to compliment Godfrey. Godfrey can be good, but he needs a supporting cast. Get him a better supporting cast.

#34 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'd like them to keep the current DTs for next year and avoid using a high pick on one

My guess is we go free agency to try getting our DT need fixed, instead of the draft.

#35 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

My guess is we go free agency to try getting our DT need fixed, instead of the draft.

The DT direction will be interesting to watch unfold this offseason

Right now it seems many are trying to convince themselves we should stay where we are simply because we have 3 upcoming sophomore DTs with only the UDFA who has looked the best (by a mile), McClain looking meh, and Fua showing absolutely no development.

Like I've mentioned, if this staff thinks they can upgrade...a change is gonna happen regardless of the returning Ron Edwards who really only showed average play with KC (and I'm not just looking at stat lines). There's a reason he didn't start in Buffalo (minus replacing injured guys) his first 5 years in the league

#36 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:07 AM

The FA market for DT's is bare. Wouldn't be a stretch to assume we invest a high pick in the position.

#37 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

No one playing the panthers next year will be safe from the ass whippings the Panthers are sure to hand out week after week

#38 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

I'm not sure both our RBs are safe...I wouldn't be surprised if we go into the season with only D-will or only Stew

#39 redbuddha

redbuddha

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

Can we close this thread during the Christmas holiday, it is kind of insensitive to be plotting somebody's demise on Xmas. Feel free to restart next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com