Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers128

Ron Paul furious over indefinite detention act

149 posts in this topic

Government isn't the victim, they are just part of the system. Our system was hijacked and made a part of big money a long time ago. You might as well look at it as a bunch of various level managers of a big corporation.

you can go ask kenneth lay what happens when government has used you up and is ready to wash its hands of you

It was signed into law last night, just an fyi.

It was signed into law last night, just an fyi.

The constitution is officially dead. This is probably literally the worst thing that has ever happened to this country.

It's a New Year's gift from Republicans and Democrats

The constitution is officially dead. This is probably literally the worst thing that has ever happened to this country.

Patriot Act killed the constitution. Obama just finished it

1 person likes this

Patriot Act killed the constitution. Obama just finished it

haha yea true that.

literally the worst thing that has ever happened to this country.

That is a far reaching comment don't you think?

I was doing some reading up on Ron Paul and came across this bill... This is the first I had heard of this act and it's crazy. Just wondering why this thread died?

What is next in regards to this bill now that it has been signed into law?

I was doing some reading up on Ron Paul and came across this bill... This is the first I had heard of this act and it's crazy. Just wondering why this thread died?

What is next in regards to this bill now that it has been signed into law?

Because its not as big of a deal as the conspiracy theorist make it out to be. Here is some of the text from the actual legislation.

14 (e) AUTHORITIES.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are

captured or arrested in the United States.

(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody under

this section does not extend to citizens of the United States.

(2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The requirement to detain a person in military custody under

this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct

taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United

States.

So basically, if you are a citizen or legal resident of the US, or captured in the US, then this ruling doesn't apply to you. Which is the way things are now, The primary complaint from some is that the wording is a little vague, and I agree that they should have changed the word requirement to authority in section 12, but the truth is this legislation doesn't really change anything, it just clarifies a few things. Basically, its saying that Al Qaeda members and associates that that are captured are treated the same as POW's.

Thanks for clarifying DD... Seemed pretty scary at first as I'm not familiar with the previous precedents set forth for POW treatment and exactly how different this law is from those. Thanks.

For real? Read the text from the bill DD posted. REQUIRED.