As requested...Cam Newton Record watch

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,242 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

No, he had obvious flaws coming out that were addressed. Based on those flaws, I didn't know how he would perform.

I didn't want any QB.

So far, he hasn't been hurt too much by those flaws although his accuracy issues still come to light pretty often. As long as he progresses over the next 2 years, everything will be fine. He still has more Ints than TDs which is an issue he needs to correct.

As more teams watch tape on him, he'll have to evolve his game and continue making his weaknesses his strengths.

I hope he is an elite QB for this team for the next 12-15 years, but I'm gonna wait a while until I proclaim that he is.

true, but name a rookie who starts 16 games and isn't asked to only dink and dunk......that doesn't have accuracy issues. Even the dink and dunk rookies have them usually.

If he was asked to do what say a Sam Bradford was asked as a rookie....I would be more concerned of his TD/INT pass ratio. But he is asked to make game changing plays all game.....so the turnovers simply are almost unavoidable considering he is a rookie.

#62 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, you expect lots of interceptions, but with this big play offense, you also should expect a lot of TD passes.

Like I said, if he can avoid the sophomore slump and then show even more improvement year 3, we'll be fine. If he doesn't develop his passing anymore, we are never going to win anything.

#63 smitty_89

smitty_89

Panther for Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, you expect lots of interceptions, but with this big play offense, you also should expect a lot of TD passes.

Like I said, if he can avoid the sophomore slump and then show even more improvement year 3, we'll be fine. If he doesn't develop his passing anymore, we are never going to win anything.

I agree. He has to continue to play well next year also. However we all know that the TD passes number is misleading. There have been about 5 times where Smitty or someone else caught a big pass and was down at the 1 yard line. There have also been multiple times in the redzone where instead of passing we chose it run it in with Cam. He could have as many passes as Peyton did his rookie year (26) or at least more than 20 by this time.

#64 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I agree. He has to continue to play well next year also. However we all know that the TD passes number is misleading. There have been about 5 times where Smitty or someone else caught a big pass and was down at the 1 yard line. There have also been multiple times in the redzone where instead of passing we chose it run it in with Cam. He could have as many passes as Peyton did his rookie year (26) or at least more than 20 by this time.

Unless you look back at everyone's passing plays and see how many "almost" TDs there were, you can't count them for Cam. How many almost TDs did Peyton have his rookie year?

Those running plays are great in the redzone but eventually you have to develop as a passer in all areas of the field. If you think he's going to always be able to rely on his running once we get down there you are only kidding yourself.

Those 1 yard TDs are nice, but you need to be able to punch it in from the 18, 4, 9, 13, 7, etc.

#65 smitty_89

smitty_89

Panther for Life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

Unless you look back at everyone's passing plays and see how many "almost" TDs there were, you can't count them for Cam. How many almost TDs did Peyton have his rookie year?

Those running plays are great in the redzone but eventually you have to develop as a passer in all areas of the field. If you think he's going to always be able to rely on his running once we get down there you are only kidding yourself.

Those 1 yard TDs are nice, but you need to be able to punch it in from the 18, 4, 9, 13, 7, etc.

Passing in the red zone is more difficult, especially for a rookie. So I am fine with letting Cam run it in now but I agree that in the future he will have to rely more on his passing in the redzone. I think having that run threat will be a good advantage anywhere on the field. So if he continues to improve going into and through his sophomore year, we will be fine.

#66 haccess

haccess

Bread Loaf

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

Why emphasize on the passing when Cam offers much more? He's 5th of all NFL players in total touchdowns as a rookie. Coming off a short offseason. In last year's worst team in the league. He's not running because he's unable to pass, he's running because it's difficult for defenses to deal with. If you don't accept what he's doing as something new and great you are dumb. (You are dumb.)

#67 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

Why emphasize on the passing when Cam offers much more? He's 5th of all NFL players in total touchdowns as a rookie. Coming off a short offseason. In last year's worst team in the league. He's not running because he's unable to pass, he's running because it's difficult for defenses to deal with. If you don't accept what he's doing as something new and great you are dumb. (You are dumb.)

We've seen running QBs in the NFL before with accuracy issues.

I don't care how many 1 yard TDs he gets from our RBs, he needs to be a better passer to be a contender in this league.

For some reason, I don't think most of you care if we ever are contenders as long as Cam puts up flashy yards and rushing TDs.

#68 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

TRD is right, you can't count "Down at the one yard line" as a passing TD.

Nor can you really count 1 yard rushes as passing TDs, either. However, you can count 1 yard rushes in "total touchdowns."

You can't ignore Cam's rushing game just because it's rushing; it's a major part of what he brings to the team and the fact that he has the ability to be explosive with his legs changes the way teams play him. At the same time, we have seen him show some very nice passing ability as well this year, more than I thought he'd be capable of in a shortened offseason.

I do think that passing on short fields is an area this offense has had trouble with all year, but Cam has improved in the second half in that regard I think.

#69 panthernation23

panthernation23

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Does anyone else imagine TRD sitting in his parents basement yelling up to his mom MORE HOTPOCKETS!!! so he doesn't lose time on the internet to troll posts?

#70 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Defenses will eventually game plan to stop his run and make him pass, especially in the redzone.

If you don't throw for many TDs, you can't throw that many picks either.

#71 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Defenses will eventually game plan to stop his run and make him pass, especially in the redzone.

If you don't throw for many TDs, you can't throw that many picks either.

This is true but until defenses *do* stop it, there's no reason for us to stop doing it. It's purely my feelings on the matter, but it seems that Cam has improved on his short yardage throws greatly since the start of the season.

As to the picks, I think it's too early to be all that concerned about his turnovers. Rookies tend to have turnovers, and his are not actually all that outrageous given the amount of passes he has and given the fact he's a rookie. Still, it is something that he is working on by all accounts, so...

#72 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

We've already seen teams do that and we've adapted and overcome it. You get do stuck in your composed notions and hopes of seeing Cam struggle that you fail to see what is going down on the field.

#73 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,242 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

yes, but you have to understand his 13 rushing TDs factor into that....instead of dinking it down for a TD or handing it off....he runs it in. Points are still being put up but he opts for the easy method of picking them up. I mean to an extent you are pretending so many of those long drives where his big pass plays where Smitty gets brought down to the one......don't factor in since he popped it in 1 yard on the ground.

Cam does need work. Mostly between the ears, his short passes, and being more consistant w/ his throwing motion. I don't think he is inaccurate.....I think he is inconsistant w/ his throw mechanics and reverts back to thinking his arm alone can do it all. When his mechanics are good....he has made passes you don't see rookies make at times.

Edited by CRA, 15 December 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#74 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Those 1 yarders are great for history and the record books and all that, but I want my QB to develop. This whole season is about development right? I want him working on play action at the one and dumping it to a TE. Bootleg and hit someone in the corner of the endzone. Things that will make him a better QB in the long run.

I want Newton to be a better passer because his running will not carry us in the future.

#75 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,242 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Those 1 yarders are great for history and the record books and all that, but I want my QB to develop. This whole season is about development right? I want him working on play action at the one and dumping it to a TE. Bootleg and hit someone in the corner of the endzone. Things that will make him a better QB in the long run.

I want Newton to be a better passer because his running will not carry us in the future.

Cam is being asked to develop as passer. Runs shouldn't be limited given the absurd amount he is being asked to throw as a rookie.

Cam will be able to be a runner for about 5 good years. Kid is a tank. He will develop some of that goalline work in that time span. For right now, it is easy points. Really silly to want to go about it a more diffiult way.....b/c some think it would be prettier if he was throwing it in.

Cam isn't a traditional QB. Running has to be part of his gameplan.....otherwise it wastes a mismatch he presents. I was fine w/ Cam being drafted only under the condition they didn't try to take his legs and body out of his game b/c they were "worried" about his health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.