Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackson113

the one problem I see with Cam

151 posts in this topic

great point

next caller

Delhomme had much more experience before coming to Carolina, Cam is a rookie.

I asked Cam if he had change for a dollar. He gave me three quarters and when I asked why only three... He said "I don't have a 4th quarter."

Waka Waka Waka!

1 person likes this

Cam does what he can. Defense allows four TD passes in the fourth, Cam can only do so much...

it seems like its the third quarter that we sputter to me.

Not asking any player for perfection.

What sets the great qbs from the rest, is their 4th quarter play.

Rookie or not, cam doesn't play well in the 4th quarter.

Could just be a mental thing for him. Whatever it is, he has to improve his 4th quarter play, or he'll be nothing but a shoulda, woulda, coulda.

I saw a Packers fan post on PFT in response to their recent article about Rivera start to get fed-up, and they noted that prior to last season Aaron Rodgers also had a reputation for losing close games and not being able to be clutch.

I think Cam will be fine in the long run. Of course it'd help if we had a defense that wouldn't give up 24 second half points.

it seems like its the third quarter that we sputter to me.

Cam Newton

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 1(9 opportunities. 11%)

Andy Dalton

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 4(7 opportunities. 57%)

TJ Yates

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives:2(2 opportunities: 100%)

And we can't leave him out....

The Golden Calf of Bristol

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 5 (5 opportunities. 100%)

*Denver's 6 for 6 in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives but The Golden Calf of Bristol scored 14 points in the 4th quarter against Oakland and blew them out.

No, it's definitely the 4th. And it's not the defense. All of these guys are in the same situation. You either got it or you don't.

PS: Nice to see it's ok to talk about this now, btw, 13 weeks later.

Cam Newton

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 1(9 opportunities. 11%)

Andy Dalton

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 4(7 opportunities. 57%)

TJ Yates

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives:2(2 opportunities: 100%)

And we can't leave him out....

The Golden Calf of Bristol

4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives: 5 (5 opportunities. 100%)

*Denver's 6 for 6 in 4th quarter comebacks/game winning drives but The Golden Calf of Bristol scored 14 points in the 4th quarter against Oakland and blew them out.

No, it's definitely the 4th. And it's not the defense. All of these guys are in the same situation. You either got it or you don't.

PS: Nice to see it's ok to talk about this now, btw, 13 weeks later.

Ring ring.

It's already been pointed out, but a big part of fourth quarter comebacks is the defense shutting the other team down and getting you the ball back. Dalton, Yates, and especially The Golden Calf of Bristol have that. Newton doesn't.

It's also been pointed out that he's young. And that's been ignored as well. And he's in his first year in the system, and he didn't get a training camp, etc...

I'm just curious, for those of you who are disappointed with Newton. What expectations did you have of a rookie QB that he's not meeting?

Not to mention that the offense is put in positions where it must have long sustained drives. Carolina leads the league in scoring drives of 80+ yards.

He's still a kid, and no he hasn't been perfect. But as many of you have noted, it's not all on him (though he is the first to own his share of the goof-ups), and he will get better with time, experience, training and conditioning. I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack, given what he has done for this team in just a few short months.