Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With two games to go

51 posts in this topic

Posted

We are out of the running for the top 5 marquee picks.

Luck

Barkley

Blackmon

Kalil

Claiborne

will all be gone by the time we pick at 10/11.

Christmas list wishing will not help. What we pick at 10 will not be a great deal better than could be had at 15-20, and nobody will want to trade with us. It is what it is.

We feel all better about winning against 2nd and 3rd stringers the last couple of weeks but what you get is no idea what your own second and third stringers can do, but also good and not great picks in the draft. It is a trade off.

Posted

how do we end up 10 or 11? we'll beat the bucs, but I doubt we win at NO with them trying to get the bye week. So 6 wins.

Posted

KC is currently picking 12th with 6 wins

Posted

damn. didn't realize the standings were so close at the bottom. just looked and our current pick is 9th.

Posted

I agree to an extent. Let's say we have a need at WR, OT, and LB.

Let's also say that Blackmon/Reiff/Brown are on the board.

We have Blackmon rated at 8.1, Reiff at 8.0, and Brown at 8.0.

So Blackmon is the highest rated player on the board. Do you take him?

I'd think not. At that point, you have to take the player that fits the biggest need. Agree? It's not strictly BPA.. I think that would be foolish to go strictly BPA. But, there has to be a big enough gap in how you rate the people on your board. If Blackmon is far and away higher rated than any other player, then you have to take him even if it's not our top need. I am talking about a .3 difference or more. If not, you need to take the player that fills the biggest need. In this case, it would probably LB. (This is just an example, I am not condoning that we take a LB).

yes or the OT Reiff because of the value. you dont want to draft for biggest need than you will begin to reach for players, but you just dont want to draft bpa either as well. who ever fits the best i guess and out of those 3 i would say the WR or OT do. also you want to look at the drop off from 2nd round to 1st. is their a huge drop off from a top 10 OT compared to 2nd rounder? is their a huge drop off from Brown compared to Lewis or David who could be had in the 2nd?

Posted

I think Alshon Jeffrey might become an option if we are picking down at #10. Not that I think we should take him.. but that is about the area he will be taken.

I don't think he would be a bad pick at all if Claiborne is off the board. I could see Claiborne slipping to 8, which would be great.

Posted

I don't think he would be a bad pick at all if Claiborne is off the board. I could see Claiborne slipping to 8, which would be great.

If he lives up to his potential, I think his size and hands make him just about indefensible in the red zone.. we could use someone like that. Also, being the huge target that he is, Cam can throw it up to him on emergency plays and make Jeffrey a security blanket for Cam.

I don't know about Jeffrey's work ethic though.. doany Gamecock fans have any insight on that? And why are Jeffrey's stats dropped off so much this year? Garcia played the first 5 games of the season and Jeffery looked like nothing special. The same guy was throwing to him the previous season, so what gives? Jeffery has looked borderline terrible lately. I would be extremely skeptical taking him with a top pick.

Posted

If he lives up to his potential, I think his size and hands make him just about indefensible in the red zone.. we could use someone like that. Also, being the huge target that he is, Cam can throw it up to him on emergency plays and make Jeffrey a security blanket for Cam.

I don't know about Jeffrey's work ethic though.. doany Gamecock fans have any insight on that? And why are Jeffrey's stats dropped off so much this year? Garcia played the first 5 games of the season and Jeffery looked like nothing special. The same guy was throwing to him the previous season, so what gives? Jeffery has looked borderline terrible lately. I would be extremely skeptical taking him with a top pick.

Garcia has a TERRIBLE work ethic. He was the main reason for the Gamecocks loss in the bowl game against Florida State because of the crap he pulled the night before the game. Simply, he did nothing over the offseason and showed up this season terribly. It wasn't even a question, he was the worst QB in D1 football before he was kicked off the team.

As far as Jeffery's character goes, he is a great one. In his three years, you haven't even heard a peep out of him. He is a leader on the field and a great team player. After Lattimore went down teams figured that the only legitimate threat was Jeffery so they started putting a CB on him and a S right over top of him. When I say they put a safety over top, I don't mean that they let a safety cheat to his side... I mean there was literally a safety standing 5-10 yards behind the CB and following Jeffery.

After this happened, some media members started talking about how Alshon was disgruntled but Alshon and the coached quickly put that to rest. Alshon said he didn't mind not getting the ball much as long as his team was winning.

As far as his work ethic goes, he's right up there with some of the best. The only concerns anyone has had has been his "weight problem". This was started with a couple pictures posted on the internet that made him look like he had a gut. Unfortunately for trolls/Clemson fans, Alshon put that crap to rest as well. Alshon may not be the most fit guy but he has no weight issue to speak of.

In summary, Alshon is just as great of a prospect off the field as he is on the field.

Posted

Garcia has a TERRIBLE work ethic. He was the main reason for the Gamecocks loss in the bowl game against Florida State because of the crap he pulled the night before the game. Simply, he did nothing over the offseason and showed up this season terribly. It wasn't even a question, he was the worst QB in D1 football before he was kicked off the team.

As far as Jeffery's character goes, he is a great one. In his three years, you haven't even heard a peep out of him. He is a leader on the field and a great team player. After Lattimore went down teams figured that the only legitimate threat was Jeffery so they started putting a CB on him and a S right over top of him. When I say they put a safety over top, I don't mean that they let a safety cheat to his side... I mean there was literally a safety standing 5-10 yards behind the CB and following Jeffery.

After this happened, some media members started talking about how Alshon was disgruntled but Alshon and the coached quickly put that to rest. Alshon said he didn't mind not getting the ball much as long as his team was winning.

As far as his work ethic goes, he's right up there with some of the best. The only concerns anyone has had has been his "weight problem". This was started with a couple pictures posted on the internet that made him look like he had a gut. Unfortunately for trolls/Clemson fans, Alshon put that crap to rest as well. Alshon may not be the most fit guy but he has no weight issue to speak of.

In summary, Alshon is just as great of a prospect off the field as he is on the field.

I did a little research and went to a gamecocks fan forum. They said that Alshon usually comes in to camp about 10lbs over weight, but loses it in the first 4 weeks and is in football shape by the beginning of the season. To me, that sounds like a lack of dedication. You'd like a guy to stay in shape through the offseason and not let himself go.. but you were right about his character.. he seems to be pretty spotless. He might be a guy who trys to get away with his superior athletic ability.. almost reminds me of Dwayne Jarrett. Hope I am wrong about him, if that's the direction we head.

Posted

Lol at you thinking Stephen Garcia is a decent QB.

Guy is atrocious. Jeffery has bailed him out so many times.

Stupid pothead was a bum. Destroyed Jeffery's junior season. Hate that guy. Destroyed our shot at a great season this year.

Posted

I think Alshon Jeffrey might become an option if we are picking down at #10. Not that I think we should take him.. but that is about the area he will be taken.

Jeffrey won't even be picked in the top 20.

Posted

michael floyd > jeffrey