#16 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, I like Greg Hardy and I think he'll keep improving. He's put in the effort and has disrupted several plays this season. If anybody is a disappointment, it's Eric Norwood. But I do think that DE is something we need to look at in the draft or FA.

#17 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Need to pick up a starting cb in fa ala Carlos Rogers this year.

#18 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

We can't keep counting on redZone ints and fumbles. Gotta stop their drives. The D is really missing some key pieces.

#19 hihosilver

hihosilver

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

Whats the salary cap looking like next season. Are we gonna have any room to make these moves?

#20 thennek

thennek

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

If the Panthers upgrade the D-Line, the secondary becomes better overnight. The Panthers went to the SuperBowl with Terry Cousins and Reggie Howard as their starting CB's. The front 4 was so dominate that they were able to use JAG (just a guy) during the SuperBowl run.

#21 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,273 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Nab a solid and productive dt and cb in FA and draft your depth and you are gold.

#22 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

People are saying we don't need an overhaul, but consider that TD has had three major injuries to his knee - if he comes back they would be very wise to keep him as a role player. Beason has been out all season due to his Achilles injury and his direct replacement Conor, will see his contract expire this season. If we don't bring him back, then we will have twoo players who had major injuries this year, three career below average/poor backups and James Anderson. The linebacker position could well see an overhaul of sorts.

The DT position was a joke all year long and that was mainly due to lack of disciplined play and experience. Debatable if Edwards makes it back from his injury, Fua and McClain should improve but they were pretty darn awful. That has once again left us with mediocre career backups (I do like Neblett though, have for a while).

Then look to the secondary. Whilst I actually like the look of Munnerlyn as a starter, I am unsure if it's a long term answer. What is more concerning to me is the safety position. Why Godfrey received the extension when he did will baffle me for some time. Martin has sadly made steps backwards (but is no where near as bad as some on here believe).

We have question marks and worse at at least half the starting positons on the defence. Facing facts, we will see plenty of new players next year and I would guess at least 2-3 new starters. As someoner stated, it likely won't be an overhaul, but our defensive staff are going to have a lot of big questions to answer.

#23 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

I would rather not bring Connor back. We can get a linebacker in the draft for less money, and still be as productive as Connor been. At defensive tackle, I wouldn't be opposed to releasing Fua. Wasn't a big fan of his where we drafted him, and after seeing him get thrown around like a rag doll, he will only be taking up a roster spot on the team. Replace him with Shirley please. At corner, Brent Grimes should be available, but I could also see him going back to the Falcons. The same goes for Carlos Rogers. So we will have to draft a good corner in the draft, and luckily for us, this is a good draft for corners.

I think we have a better defense than most are saying. Our biggest liability was those two DTs. Teams was running amok with those guys in there. Now, we look respectable. We get Beason back, Edwards back, draft a corner, and we will be good to go.

#24 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,395 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

I love how people think drafting a DT is going to immediately upgrade the position.. :lol:

#25 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

If the Panthers upgrade the D-Line, the secondary becomes better overnight. The Panthers went to the SuperBowl with Terry Cousins and Reggie Howard as their starting CB's. The front 4 was so dominate that they were able to use JAG (just a guy) during the SuperBowl run.

Different era. At that time, you could rough the WRs up throughout their route. No more. You need corners in today's game.

#26 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

I love how people think drafting a DT is going to immediately upgrade the position.. :lol:

I think we should spend two 3rd round picks on DTs and that should solidify the position moving forward.

#27 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

I would rather not bring Connor back. We can get a linebacker in the draft for less money, and still be as productive as Connor been. At defensive tackle, I wouldn't be opposed to releasing Fua. Wasn't a big fan of his where we drafted him, and after seeing him get thrown around like a rag doll, he will only be taking up a roster spot on the team. Replace him with Shirley please. At corner, Brent Grimes should be available, but I could also see him going back to the Falcons. The same goes for Carlos Rogers. So we will have to draft a good corner in the draft, and luckily for us, this is a good draft for corners.

I think we have a better defense than most are saying. Our biggest liability was those two DTs. Teams was running amok with those guys in there. Now, we look respectable. We get Beason back, Edwards back, draft a corner, and we will be good to go.

Fair enough about Connor. Under normal circumstances I would completely agree with you, but we need to get a linebacker for somewhere and I would be hesitant to draft one considering our other pressing issues. With one healthy starting quality linebacker on the team, our FO will consider offering an extension to Connor.

I disagree about your assessment on the DT positon. You don't just cut Fua. DTs are one of the slowest developing positions due to the physical demands and in college them being able to manhandle players easier. In all honesty, Fua played better than McClain. McClain was supposed to be explosive and generate pressure. He really didn't and was next to pointless in the run game.

If we follow your thoughts, our starting LBs are TD/Senn, Beason, Anderson with Hardy, McClain, Edwards, Johnson on the DLine. Honestly, there are big question marks against TD, Senn, McClain and Edwards being starter quality. Add on top of that our MLB tore his achilles tendon this year and will not be running at 100% (from my knowledge this is a two year rehab to get complete strength back). I just don't think you can be confident about the defence with question marks about half of your front 7.

#28 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

I think we should spend two 3rd round picks on DTs and that should solidify the position moving forward.

A bit like how we did this year?

DTs are almost impossible to predict due to their over reliance on their physical abilities in the college game. Some of the very best in the league were drafted late or not at all and the amount of busts in the early rounds is incredibly high.

I agree with building strength of depth through the draft, but we would have 4 players on the roster who would have less than a full year of football.

#29 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

RAGE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I don't think that the team is going to have any major overhauls on defense outside of the LBs. Beason, Davis, and Anderson I think will start. TD's knee is an obvious concern, but the 2nd tear came from coming back too early imo, while the injury this season he got rolled up on. From the way it sounds, he will be back (and at worst, as a back-up/vocal team leader). There is a pressing need at WLB. Senn I'd like to see kept on board for depth and special teams.

Captain is the Jordan Senn of the CBs imo. Plays well when asked to fill in, but is best on special teams and being rotated in.

I was all aboard the Morris Claiborne train, but if he is taken before the Panthers selection comes up, I'd like to see the team attempt to trade down in order to nab Zach Brown. If they can't trade, then taking Dre Kirkpatrick could work but I see him being next year's Patrick Peterson: CB in college and drafted to play it in the pros, but would more than likely play much better at S.

DE: CJ, Hardy, Applewhite, Keiser.
I'm good with that. I can't imagine why anyone else would want to waste a pick when the DEs have outplayed everybody else on the defense. All season long we've heard about DT being a problem, LBs decimated by injuries, and questionable secondary play. How often has their been concern about DE, aside from the bitching about CJ's contract and the occasional "Cut Hardy!!!" clowns that are really just trying to start trouble on the boards?

#2 CB, WLB (potential starter), MLB (depth), and S (depth) are the only real positions I'd like to see addressed.

#30 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

Needs..

A stud DT
A standout CB

Could uses..

Health and consistency at linebacker.

It would be nice to..

Upgrade the over all speed of the defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com