74 replies to this topic

#61 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

Newton and it's not even close. Scouts are already saying that we have the next "Air Jordan of Football" on our hands.

#62 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,433 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Newton is still mostly potential.

Brees has the resume' but his best years could be behind him starting as soon as next season.

Right now, Brees is the better passer, but Newton is bigger, taller, more athletic and a legit run threat.

If you're thinking long term, you have to take Newton. If it's "I wanna win a Super Bowl in the next few years" probably Brees, though that's not to say Newton couldn't win a Super Bowl soon. Brees just gives you better odds in the short term.

Loads of variables in this discussion.

#63 XLR8

XLR8

Flag that Swag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

Cam. Because he can pass and scramble which makes him more dynamic.

#64 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,687 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

I think it's too simplistic a question without the addition of a timeframe.

Like many others I think if we're looking to build something for the next few years I think you have to take Brees b/c he is a proven elite commodity. If we're looking for anything any longer Newton is the obvious choice because he has seemingly unlimited potential and has proven that, at the very least, he can adapt to this game (or make the game adapt to him as it were).

#65 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,973 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

False

It is not false that Brees in his prime has more turnovers than any QB over the past 2 seasons.

Brees is a GREAT QB.....crazy accurate (at times). Brees also is too aggressive, gambles, and also will make poor decisions.

His high turnover rate in recent history isn't a result of just balls bouncing off Wr hands as you are trying to imply

#66 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Right Answer : Matt Moore

#67 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,667 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

Poll non-Saints/Panthers fans

#68 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

It is not false that Brees in his prime has more turnovers than any QB over the past 2 seasons.

Brees is a GREAT QB.....crazy accurate (at times). Brees also is too aggressive, gambles, and also will make poor decisions.

His high turnover rate in recent history isn't a result of just balls bouncing off Wr hands as you are trying to imply

#1. I never implied it was balls bouncing off receivers hands, I just implied that it wasn't from being inaccurate. All QBs make bad decisions and all defenses make great plays. Without watching every snap, I'd say it's a mixture of being inaccurate at times, making bad decisions at times, defenders making great plays at times, and tipped balls/dropped balls at times.

#2. Eli Manning has more turnovers than Brees the last two years so in fact your statement and the previous statement is false.

#69 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

Don't forget busted routes/miscommunication....it's not unusual for a QB to throw to a spot the receiver is supposed to run to and have the receiver be elsewhere. Sometimes that's on the WR and sometimes it's on the QB.

#70 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

Forgot that one, thanks.

#71 just dave

just dave

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

If Cam can continue to learn and study to where he can quickly read defences and get through his progressions he will be something else. If not he'll be a Kordell Stewart like player when his mobility declines.

#72 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

• HUDDLER
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

I think you have to go Brees. He's only 32 so he should have at least 5 more years in him at a very high level. He's one of the most accurate passers the game has seen. Who knows if Cam will ever get to that level.

Brees is an old 32.

#73 savage

savage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Cam. Cam is more fun to watch play.

#74 saints4life25

saints4life25

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

As a Saints fan I find this a very interesting topic and have enjoyed reading the responses.

I don't think there's really an easy answer. Especially only seeing Cam play for one year and exceed expectations the way he did. Who's to say hes going to continue that trend though.

While Drew is one of a few elite qbs in the league right now he is 32. He has been playing at an amazing level since arriving in New Orleans but at what point do you start to think about a decline?

I guess for 5 years I would say Brees. He gives you a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl for the next 3. Anything after that I would say Cam. In five years he should be hitting his prime.

It would be an interesting question after seeing if Cam can keep up this level of productivity though.

Good topic.

#75 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,386 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

being a panther fan, i would say cam. being a neutral and detached observer, i would say give me brees for now, but ask the question in about 3 seasons. let cam prove he can do it again and again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com