• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Htar

After watching John Wall last night

So Roy can't coach the X's & O's as good as the GOD K

L O L !! L O L !!

While everone is placing K on a pedestal

Please show me his great x & o inside game ????

Either K can't recruit or coach an inside man or he's not the GOD of coaches as some say .

Thats a joke...he had two really good players this year and that was it. When Jon Scheyer is playing PG for you, you are in a bad spot.

Yeah it takes great recruits staying for 3 and 4 years...something that neither Clemson nor Wake Forest had. I also don't think Dino Gaudio is that great of a coach either...You should look at the schools that have less talent and just as much success rather than the few teams that have a lot of talent and less success. Like I said...Roy is a very good coach and an even better recruiter. If you don't believe me then ask the fans in Kansas why he never won a championship there...His teams at UNC are MUCH more talented overall.

yeah but his team still had like 6 or 7 burger boys on it, so at one time somebody thought they had talent

yeah but his team still had like 6 or 7 burger boys on it, so at one time somebody thought they had talent

The Wear twins are "burger boys". It's time to drop this arguement about being a McDonalds All-American. If a recruit is going to Duke or Carolina then 90% of the time they will be named a McDonalds All-American, that doesnt mean they are great IMO.

As for Roy and the x's and o's I honestly dont know how some of the people on this board can argue he is one of the top x's and o's coaches in the game. No one is displacing the fact that he is a great recruiter, maybe the top one in the game right now. We are talking about actual coaching here. People shouldn't take offence to this, be happy he just won you a National Championship, by stringing together a great couple years of recruiting, but like Unicar15 pointed out, guys like Izzo, Pitinio, K, Howland are better x's and o's buys than Roy.

I really didn't think my post would have caused such of a reaction, I was pretty sure that was common knowledge among college basketball fans.

The Wear twins are "burger boys". It's time to drop this arguement about being a McDonalds All-American. If a recruit is going to Duke or Carolina then 90% of the time they will be named a McDonalds All-American, that doesnt mean they are great IMO.

As for Roy and the x's and o's I honestly dont know how some of the people on this board can argue he is one of the top x's and o's coaches in the game. No one is displacing the fact that he is a great recruiter, maybe the top one in the game right now. We are talking about actual coaching here. People shouldn't take offence to this, be happy he just won you a National Championship, by stringing together a great couple years of recruiting, but like Unicar15 pointed out, guys like Izzo, Pitinio, K, Howland are better x's and o's buys than Roy.

I really didn't think my post would have caused such of a reaction, I was pretty sure that was common knowledge among college basketball fans.

You beat me to it...If you solely base the talent of your team on how many MCDs AA you have then you are wrong. Are the MCDs AA talented? Yes...but a lot of that is politics.

The argument for me is that for Roy to win he HAS TO HAVE the best players at multiple positions. If I handed him Sidney Lowe's roster from last year and told him to get past the first weekend of the ACC tournament he would have failed miserably. His UNC teams are consistently more talented than every single team they face, thus they win. Take that talent away and he is an average at best coach. A perfect example was last year when they faced Kansas in the final four. Kansas was just as talented as UNC and the Jayhawks BLEW THEM OUT. UNC didn't face a team once this year that had nearly the talent that they put out there night in and night out...thus they swept the competition. That has nothing to do with X's and O's it has to do with players.

Don't talk to me about X's and O's when you have a PG, SG, SF, and C that all get down the court faster that anyone else on the court. Its called a fast break and UNC scored more fast break points than anyone in the country..X's and O's don't run the fast break my friend, talent does.

You beat me to it...If you solely base the talent of your team on how many MCDs AA you have then you are wrong. Are the MCDs AA talented? Yes...but a lot of that is politics.

The argument for me is that for Roy to win he HAS TO HAVE the best players at multiple positions. If I handed him Sidney Lowe's roster from last year and told him to get past the first weekend of the ACC tournament he would have failed miserably. His UNC teams are consistently more talented than every single team they face, thus they win. Take that talent away and he is an average at best coach. A perfect example was last year when they faced Kansas in the final four. Kansas was just as talented as UNC and the Jayhawks BLEW THEM OUT. UNC didn't face a team once this year that had nearly the talent that they put out there night in and night out...thus they swept the competition. That has nothing to do with X's and O's it has to do with players.

Don't talk to me about X's and O's when you have a PG, SG, SF, and C that all get down the court faster that anyone else on the court. Its called a fast break and UNC scored more fast break points than anyone in the country..X's and O's don't run the fast break my friend, talent does.

That is a whole other thing and I agree. Roy "coaches" a fast break, he doesn't coach any half court set offense. That can't be argued.

Again obviously, this is not a bad thing, considering they won the National Championship and Roy's best attribute is his ability to recruit and that got him the best team in the Nation.

missed my whole argument of them having more than 2 good players.....Half of Duke's team was ranked in the top 60 players across the nation....To say that Coach K doesn't have talent is an asinine comment to make. The problem is Coach K wants 4 year players which normally means he is not recruiting inside the top 15 and it takes at least 2 years to develop them with an exception of a few.

IU am not arguing the fact that Coach Williams doesn't have talent or doesn't recruit very well, just the fact that you said Duke only had 2 good players is just ridiculous, they finished 2nd in the ACC and won the ACC Tourney....that does take a little bit of talent you know, along with Coaching

Also, about Roy Williams not coaching a half court offense, I remember a few games where the half court offense was pretty damn good, and their half court defense was just as dominate....So, I would say he can coach a little more than just a fast break.

missed my whole argument of them having more than 2 good players.....Half of Duke's team was ranked in the top 60 players across the nation....To say that Coach K doesn't have talent is an asinine comment to make. The problem is Coach K wants 4 year players which normally means he is not recruiting inside the top 15 and it takes at least 2 years to develop them with an exception of a few.

IU am not arguing the fact that Coach Williams doesn't have talent or doesn't recruit very well, just the fact that you said Duke only had 2 good players is just ridiculous, they finished 2nd in the ACC and won the ACC Tourney....that does take a little bit of talent you know, along with Coaching

Also, about Roy Williams not coaching a half court offense, I remember a few games where the half court offense was pretty damn good, and their half court defense was just as dominate....So, I would say he can coach a little more than just a fast break.

Agree to disagree but Duke's best player (Kyle Singler) has been playing out of position since he stepped on campus, their best pro prospect is being urged to go back to school, and the rest of the team is a bunch of average Joes of college basketball. Not to mention they all are essentially a bunch of wing players that Coach K throws in there because for some reason quality big men don't want to go to Duke...

I'll say it again..there are great coaches and great recruiters. Roy is a great recruiter but hey it still gets you a championship so I don't know why you guys are even arguing about it? Every other rational Carolina fan I know admits that Roys greatest asset is is personality, not his on the court thinking.

Agree to disagree but Duke's best player (Kyle Singler) has been playing out of position since he stepped on campus, their best pro prospect is being urged to go back to school, and the rest of the team is a bunch of average Joes of college basketball. Not to mention they all are essentially a bunch of wing players that Coach K throws in there because for some reason quality big men don't want to go to Duke...

I'll say it again..there are great coaches and great recruiters. Roy is a great recruiter but hey it still gets you a championship so I don't know why you guys are even arguing about it? Every other rational Carolina fan I know admits that Roys greatest asset is is personality, not his on the court thinking.

And I can agree cold heartly with that, because there have been numerous of times when I have gotten so frustrated with Williams for not calling a TO or switching matchups when he shouldn't have, or put certain players on the court to play with each other. There is no denying he can recruit, but it is just ridiculous to say that he cannot Coach either.

Every coach in America wishes they could score as easy as Carolina from running fast breaks, but there have been numerous times when Carolina gets put in a position where they can't run and have to run half court offense and defense. There is a reason why Carolina has been one of the top turnover defenses in the Nation since Williams has come back to the Hill, and there is also reasons why Kansas were so good at the same thing. Williams wants to run everybody out of the building, but at the same time he prides himself in great defense, and usually the players start turning it on late in the season.

Roy Williams has both the personality and can coach which allows him to recruit and win games over 80% to be exact, and also made him a Hall of Fame Coach.....All my rational NCSU friends will even admit to this and would love to have a Coach of Williams' caliber leading the Wolfpack

If you really want to get down to coaching Lowe is garbage and can neither recruit or Coach, NCSU hasn't done squat since Sendek left to go to ASU, and in 3 years he has turned a horrible team into a top 20 program with an NCAA tourney appearance.

Thats a joke...he had two really good players this year and that was it. When Jon Scheyer is playing PG for you, you are in a bad spot.

Yeah it takes great recruits staying for 3 and 4 years...something that neither Clemson nor Wake Forest had. I also don't think Dino Gaudio is that great of a coach either...You should look at the schools that have less talent and just as much success rather than the few teams that have a lot of talent and less success. Like I said...Roy is a very good coach and an even better recruiter. If you don't believe me then ask the fans in Kansas why he never won a championship there...His teams at UNC are MUCH more talented overall.

Why would I care what Kansas fans think? They have a built in reason to be bitter about Roy Williams, and bitter fans are always gonna attack the object of their bitterness. It's the same thing with Miami fans and Butch Davis.

Besides that, winning a NC is pretty freakin hard no matter how much talent you have. Roy had some great players in Kansas, and it's just as easy to recruit there, as it is at UNC.

And I can agree cold heartly with that, because there have been numerous of times when I have gotten so frustrated with Williams for not calling a TO or switching matchups when he shouldn't have, or put certain players on the court to play with each other. There is no denying he can recruit, but it is just ridiculous to say that he cannot Coach either.

Every coach in America wishes they could score as easy as Carolina from running fast breaks, but there have been numerous times when Carolina gets put in a position where they can't run and have to run half court offense and defense. There is a reason why Carolina has been one of the top turnover defenses in the Nation since Williams has come back to the Hill, and there is also reasons why Kansas were so good at the same thing. Williams wants to run everybody out of the building, but at the same time he prides himself in great defense, and usually the players start turning it on late in the season.

Roy Williams has both the personality and can coach which allows him to recruit and win games over 80% to be exact, and also made him a Hall of Fame Coach.....All my rational NCSU friends will even admit to this and would love to have a Coach of Williams' caliber leading the Wolfpack

If you really want to get down to coaching Lowe is garbage and can neither recruit or Coach, NCSU hasn't done squat since Sendek left to go to ASU, and in 3 years he has turned a horrible team into a top 20 program with an NCAA tourney appearance.

I'm not getting involved in the Lowe debate because to say that he has caught some bad breaks is to put it lightly. And as of now he has already out-recruited his predecessor at NCSU.

You are also taking my words out of context. I said that Roy was a good coach but to argue that he is as good a tactician as K, Izzo, Pitino, Knight and a few others is wrong. He is NOT the best coach in America but he is a very good coach and that should be enough for you guys not to argue. Now can we please get back to John Wall information since this was what the thread was made for.

As of now...John has 3 days to cut his list. UNC has not offered yet and I have heard nothing of them contacting him. I'm guessing that for now he will cut them out and then if Roy offers he will begin listening again but I don't think Roy will end up offering. And even if he does offer it will be too late. JMO...

I will agree though there are just recruiters, there are just coaches, but there are recruiters that are coaches.

Ex. Matt doherty, gary williams, and roy williams and tom izzo and coach k etc

Do you not remember the coaching job he did in 06? He had short bench and young kids and still won a bunch of game. He took QT last year, changed their style and won a bunch after Lawson went out. Whatever helps you guys sleep at night.

All those BETTER X and O guys have a losing record against Roy's fastbreak. And when did recruiting become the be-all-end-all? Thad Matta loads up every year and can't win dick.

I will agree though there are just recruiters, there are just coaches, but there are recruiters that are coaches.

Ex. Matt doherty, gary williams, and roy williams and tom izzo and coach k etc

Recruiting is part of coaching in college sports. You have great recruiters and great X and Os. It's the ones that blend the best between the two that have the most success IE Tom Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams. Same goes for football.

Do you not remember the coaching job he did in 06? He had short bench and young kids and still won a bunch of game. He took QT last year, changed their style and won a bunch after Lawson went out. Whatever helps you guys sleep at night.

All those BETTER X and O guys have a losing record against Roy's fastbreak. And when did recruiting become the be-all-end-all? Thad Matta loads up every year and can't win dick.

Congratulations he won 23 games with the best player in college basketball and a bunch of guys that were role players...that is still more than what MOST coaches have to work with. Tom Izzo didn't even have that much this year and he got to the national championship. Roy has a slightly above average team talent-wise and he loses to George Mason in the second round of the tournament. There just isn't a comparison in my eyes but I am done...

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ceanderson

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts