Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Htar

After watching John Wall last night

This is ridiculous. I don't care what rivals or scout said in 05, anybody with some common sense can see that Hansbrough has nowhere near the athleticism of a Blake Griffin, yet he accomplished greatness in the college game, and he got better every year.

I also find it ironic that the ABCers are now saying that Roy Williams can only win because he's a great recruiter when, back in 05, they all said that he only won because he inherited somebody else's players. It's about time for people to start being honest, and just admit that Roy Williams is one of the best coaches in the game right now. To do otherwise, just makes you look like blind homers.

And for the record, in the past, I have said myself that coach K is a better coach, so you can't claim that I'm just being a homer. I'm having to seriously rethink the assumption that K is better now though. The recent head to head results with Duke, and national accomplishments of Roy Williams over the last 4 years speak for themselves.

Recruiting is part of coaching and Roy is a great recruiter. It makes up for his game-planning.

Case in point - They lost in the ACC tournament while missing one great player...Even without Lawson he still had more talent than any other team in the tournament and they still lost. You will never convince me that Roys ability to recruit doesn't make up for his game-planning.

Recruiting is part of coaching and Roy is a great recruiter. It makes up for his game-planning.

Case in point - They lost in the ACC tournament while missing one great player...Even without Lawson he still had more talent than any other team in the tournament and they still lost. You will never convince me that Roys ability to recruit doesn't make up for his game-planning.

Roy could give a rat *** about that tournament, and neither could i...It's great for fans but means nada.

I'm convinced that Roy used that ACC tournament to work on team defense because he knew that was the one area where they needed to improve the most in order to win a championship. It worked like a charm too.

BTW, I can give you another example of a player that Roy has coached up...Deon Thompson. He's not a great natural athlete either, but he looks like a completely different player now than he did 2 years ago, and he was a huge factor in the championship run.

This thread is like 3 threads-in-one, its making my head spin!....Here is my 2 cents.

Tyler is without a doubt, one of the most accomplished College Basketball players of this decade. I seriously doubt that anyone will come behind him, stay for 4 years, and dominate their conference the way Tyler did. You see, that is the one thing any of the ABCer's will never take away. He made a hell of a name for himself in CH, and will be in the ACC record books for a long...long time. Period. What is there to argue? Will he be a good NBA player? Who cares? He was one of the best college basketball players, we all know that. Whether or not you are humble enough to admit it, it doesn't matter what your opinion is...that is fact.

Second, Roy is without a doubt one of the top 5 coaches in Basketball....in the words of John Fox "a wins, a win". That is all that matters. Since he came to UNC, he has brought 2 National Championships, 2 ACC championships, and 4 regular season ACC championships. He has a winning record vs. every single ACC team he has played (72-24), including dook. Also, he has a hell of a winning record with the Heels (167-37), and has never missed the Tournament. He has to be a good coach...lets look outside of BB and look at the Yankees...they have all the star power in the world, but cannot get the big game won. Or how about the Cowboys (which I hate for the record). Last couple of years, they have had some great star power, and they still could not get past game 1 of the playoffs. It takes a good coach to COACH great players. And Roy does just that, he coaches and recruits better than 99% of every other BB coach out there.

And finally, John Wall is a great BB player. And wherever he goes he will make an instant difference....everyone agree so far? There is alot of hype with the kid, and truth be told, he will not be a deciding factor for ANY teams mentioned to win the Nat. Championship. No matter where he goes, he will not be a true fit for anyone, because no coach can build a 4 year program around him. Sure, he will turn the head of every scout in the US, but when his one year is up, he is gone. I personally hope he ends up at Kentucky, b/c I am tired of all this BS I keep reading about him playing in the ACC.

You do realize the idiocy of your post, right? I mean, you don't have the highest winning percentage in the nation based on just recruiting.

You are wrong my friend...This is the Rivals top 10 from 05. He was incredibly highly touted. So much so that I remember watching him on ESPN his senior year playing against Greg Oden.

1 Gerald Green

Houston (TX) Gulf Shores Academy G 6-8/195 Oklahoma State

2 Josh McRoberts

Carmel (IN) F 6-11/241 Duke

3 Monta Ellis

Jackson (MS) Lanier G 6-2/160 Mississippi State

4 Andray Blatche

Syracuse (NY) South Kent (CT) F 6-11/230 list

5 Martell Webster

Seattle (WA) Seattle Prep G 6-6/225 Washington

6 Andrew Bynum

Metuchen (NJ) St. Josephs C 6-11/270 Connecticut

7 Louis Williams

Snellville (GA) South Gwinnett G 6-2/175 Georgia

8 Julian Wright

Flossmoor (IL) Homewood F 6-8/214 Kansas

9 Richard Hendrix

Athens (AL) Athens F 6-8/250 Alabama

10 Tyler Hansbrough

Poplar Bluff (MO) Poplar Bluff F 6-8/224 North Carolina

Wanna know what percentage of the Rivals and Scout top 10 are projected NBA players...90%. To say that Roy did more with less in the case of Tyler Hansbrough is laughable.

Being rated top 10 coming out of high school DOES NOT equal being a top 10 or lottery pick in the NBA draft...never has and never will.

There are thousands of high school basketball players and not all of them play against the same competition. It is very difficult to accurately judge the talent level and potential of a player based on that.

The bottom line is that Tyler was a highly touted player, but never a lock for the NBA, let alone being a top 10 pick or lottery pick..and as far as hype McRoberts had TONS more coverage and hype than Hansbrough coming out of high school. But Hansbrough is the one that excelled in college and will go down as one of the best players to ever play in the ACC.

Yeah it took until his senior year for him to add a consistent jump shot and he still doesn't have 3-point range. Roy didn't do anything to make Tyler Hansbrough better than his ratings indicated. He was a top 10 player coming out of high school. He averaged 20 points and 8 boards his entire career...from the minute he stepped on campus. Hansbroughs ability to play was due to his own will to be the best, not because Roy put him in position with his X's and O's. Anyone who argues that Roy or John Calipari are great X's and O's coaches will be wrong. They are the most charming guys in the game and thus they get recruits. But rarely do they win without multiple All-American types on their teams. They always have a roster that is hard NOT to win with...As opposed to the Tom Izzos, Coach Ks, and Gary Williams of the world who are brilliant game-planners...

Please tell me your kidding K has as much talent year in year out as any team in America.

All you need to do is to look at Clemson and Wake Forest to see that it takes more than just recruiting great athletes to build a great team.

Roy could give a rat *** about that tournament, and neither could i...It's great for fans but means nada.

Thats not the point...the point is they fell apart without Lawson even tho they still had a WAY more talented team.

Thats not the point...the point is they fell apart without Lawson even tho they still had a WAY more talented team.

IMO, FSU was pretty damned talented. In fact, I put them in the same category as Wake and Clemson. They all three had plenty of talent, but couldn't win consistently.

Anyway, your little "tear Roy down a little bit" arguments aren't working at all.

Please tell me your kidding K has as much talent year in year out as any team in America.

Thats a joke...he had two really good players this year and that was it. When Jon Scheyer is playing PG for you, you are in a bad spot.

All you need to do is to look at Clemson and Wake Forest to see that it takes more than just recruiting great athletes to build a great team.

Yeah it takes great recruits staying for 3 and 4 years...something that neither Clemson nor Wake Forest had. I also don't think Dino Gaudio is that great of a coach either...You should look at the schools that have less talent and just as much success rather than the few teams that have a lot of talent and less success. Like I said...Roy is a very good coach and an even better recruiter. If you don't believe me then ask the fans in Kansas why he never won a championship there...His teams at UNC are MUCH more talented overall.