Photo
- - - - -

After watching John Wall last night

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
181 replies to this topic

#31 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Htar is like this message board's little brother. I have come to peace with the fact that when he posts it is for humor sake now. I honestly dont think he trys to be a d*ck to anyone, but some of his posts just put him in a sticky situation. For example, this thread. I was the one who posted that some Carolina fans would be backtracking now that Roy got involved a couple weeks ago, credit to Htar he seemed to stay strong for a little while, but now with this post, it basically says "I don't care if John Wall comes with baggage or is a me-first player, I want him to be a Heel, because he is really good".

I really don't think you can argue with that assumption people have of you now, Htar. But the problem is you didnt have to make yourself look like that. John Wall IS a pretty good kid, he ISN'T a me-first player, you can like him and not feel bad about it. The problem came about when you, like other fans, immeaditly jumped all over Duke for recruiting him. You should have known it was only a matter of time before Carolina got involved, look back in history, Duke and Carolina constantly go after the same players. It is going on with Harrison Barnes right now as well. Duke has been all over that kid for awhile now, he has visited Duke twice on his own, but now Roy has put Roscoe Smith on hold and said Harrison is his top target for 2010.

This really goes back to the whole arguement that comes up with most fan bases when a recruit is considering their school the recruit is "good kid, great prospect, well respected, etc." when that recruit doesnt decide to go to their school he suddenly becomes "over-rated, me-first attitude, bad academics, etc."

I really enjoy getting a rise out you dookies, but in the end, and as for the topic, I'm not happy about the WALL SITUATION...Roy didn't start recruiting as a late decision, he did not want to deal with Clifton and Clifton is evidently out of the picture...I don't have much respect for his academic school or credentials, but he is a talent.

As for Barnes, I really believe Roy is wasting his time, and he must not be in love with Smith's game as he could've had him already.

#32 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Just an FYI...you have the right to express it without personal attacks

;)

#33 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

meltdown? Huh? You don't have enough stroke to get me into meltdown mode.

Well you clearly melted down cause you went on a rant that had nothing to do with what i said and after that you went to name calling. Then you went on about Coach k teaching his kids to hack. Please post the picks. You can find what 5 pics? The same 5 pics you UNC fans pull out every year. At least come up with some new poo for once. % pics for how many games has he coached? Yeah he really teaches hacking. You really don't get under my skin cause everything you post is funny. It never makes sense and then when you get called out you back track.

#34 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

I haven't heard that Wall was a selfish player, but I do agree that if Lawson comes back Wall will not get an offer and even if Wall did get an offer he wouldn't take it. From all I've read while following this recruitment, Wall does want to play on a team with veterans...but I highly doubt he would commit to a team with a veteran PG already entrenched as the starter. Honestly, the best situation for him right off the bat would be dook, but only because they don't have any good PG's, certainly no where near his level. Drew for Carolina is a work in progress and we'll have to see how much he progresses over the summer, but Wall would probably get more minutes than him were he to play for UNC.

And I haven't heard anything about Drew or his family being upset with Roy...that sounds a lot like the bullshit posts (on other boards) about Zeller wanting to transfer to IU.

#35 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

I really enjoy getting a rise out you dookies, but in the end, and as for the topic, I'm not happy about the WALL SITUATION...Roy didn't start recruiting as a late decision, he did not want to deal with Clifton and Clifton is evidently out of the picture...I don't have much respect for his academic school or credentials, but he is a talent.

As for Barnes, I really believe Roy is wasting his time, and he must not be in love with Smith's game as he could've had him already.

The Cliftons are DEFINITELY not out of the picture. You think they would hang around Wall for the last 6-7 years and then right before he goes to the league they are cut out? You must be dreaming...wherever John goes, Brian Clifton goes. Roy got into this because he panicked when he saw that he was the only triangle coach not recruiting the best player to come out of this area since who?? I can't think of a player out of the triangle with this much hype. If Wall goes to Duke or NC State then UNC isn't the best team in the triangle anymore (unless Lawson comes back which I don't see happening). I don't care what anyone says...John Wall is that good.

And we all know how Carolina fans take ONE "down" season and losing to their rivals...they start telling their coach to go back where he came from.

#36 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

Roy panicked? I don't think so.

#37 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

Roy panicked? I don't think so.

Roy pulled a..."Oh NO! I don't have the best player at every position so now I can't win" move...instead of relying on the MCDs AA that he recruited last year. It doesn't surprise me...I don't remember the last time I saw Roy coach up a kid past his athletic potential.

#38 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Roy pulled a..."Oh NO! I don't have the best player at every position so now I can't win" move...instead of relying on the MCDs AA that he recruited last year. It doesn't surprise me...I don't remember the last time I saw Roy coach up a kid past his athletic potential.

Ever hear of Tyler Hansbrough? I'd say his accomplishments went way beyond his natural athletic ability.

Anyway, there is not a chance in hell that Roy is panicking about anything right now. That's just another ridiculous assumption by the ABC club. He has a damn good class with or without Wall, and nobody is gonna be calling for his head if he happens to have a down year after losing most, or all of his starters. You're gonna break your arm if you keep reaching so hard.

#39 Luc21

Luc21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

I think most of us on this board can agree that when it comes to actual X's and O's Roy is not at the top of the coaching world. When it comes to recruiting, he is very much so.

#40 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

Ever hear of Tyler Hansbrough? I'd say his accomplishments went way beyond his natural athletic ability.

Anyway, there is not a chance in hell that Roy is panicking about anything right now. That's just another ridiculous assumption by the ABC club. He has a damn good class with or without Wall, and nobody is gonna be calling for his head if he happens to have a down year after losing most, or all of his starters. You're gonna break your arm if you keep reaching so hard.

I could be wrong but didn't they consider Tyler a top 10 pick his first 2 years playing college ball? I know his stock has dropped more and more each year. He was one dimensional. Roy never taught him anything else but to sit under the basket and make lay ups and get rebounds.

#41 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I think most of us on this board can agree that when it comes to actual X's and O's Roy is not at the top of the coaching world. When it comes to recruiting, he is very much so.

Well, he just put together the most successful 3 year run in UNC basketball history, so he's damn sure doing something right. He's sure as hell not panicking over one recruit that's not even expected to play more than one season, I'll guarantee you that.

And I'd like to reiterate that recruiting is just as much a part of coaching college basketball as the X's and O's are, if not more so. You can't seperate the two when you're evaluating college coaches.

#42 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

The Cliftons are DEFINITELY not out of the picture. You think they would hang around Wall for the last 6-7 years and then right before he goes to the league they are cut out? You must be dreaming...wherever John goes, Brian Clifton goes. Roy got into this because he panicked when he saw that he was the only triangle coach not recruiting the best player to come out of this area since who?? I can't think of a player out of the triangle with this much hype. If Wall goes to Duke or NC State then UNC isn't the best team in the triangle anymore (unless Lawson comes back which I don't see happening). I don't care what anyone says...John Wall is that good.

And we all know how Carolina fans take ONE "down" season and losing to their rivals...they start telling their coach to go back where he came from.

One thing you can bank on, if Wall chooses UNC then Brian Clifton is OUT. Because UNC passed on some of his earlier players he got pissed off. He cares about his players only insofar as how much money he can potentially make off of them. There have been alot of stories about his shady dealings and I don't blame Roy for not wanting to deal with that poo. The fact is that Clifton's influence has been lessened a great deal, and the only proof you need is to hear the word "Carolina" out of his mouth when talking about his choice of colleges.

And as for you little snipe at UNC fans, take a look at dook's fanbase. They are practically tearing each other (as well as the coaching staff) apart because of their inability to beat UNC. Wall would mean a great deal more to dook than UNC, because we still have Drew, who I think will become a much better PG next year...then we have Kendall Marshall coming the following year along with the best wing player in the country who happens to be from this state.
UNC is set in terms of recruiting over the next 3 years at every position. Wall would be nice, but UNC will still win without him.

Edited by stankowalski, 14 April 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#43 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

I could be wrong but didn't they consider Tyler a top 10 pick his first 2 years playing college ball? I know his stock has dropped more and more each year. He was one dimensional. Roy never taught him anything else but to sit under the basket and make lay ups and get rebounds.

You are wrong. He was never considered to be a top 10 pick. Coming out of high school he wasn't even in the top 10 of his class. Hansbrough developed an outside shot, even made some threes. He also became a much better passer out of the post, particularly this last year. He has improved each and every year he's played.

#44 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

You are wrong. He was never considered to be a top 10 pick. Coming out of high school he wasn't even in the top 10 of his class. Hansbrough developed an outside shot, even made some threes. He also became a much better passer out of the post, particularly this last year. He has improved each and every year he's played.

His out side shot consists of him being wide open. He doesn't make them with someone in his face. I guess i have a outside shot too. He is very one dimensional.

http://www.draftexpr...Hansbrough-288/
Here's some old and new articles for you as well. Shows at one point Tyler was knocking on the door as a lottery pick. So being top 10 wasn't so far off. For him getting "better" every year his stock sure has fallen.

#45 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

His out side shot consists of him being wide open. He doesn't make them with someone in his face. I guess i have a outside shot too. He is very one dimensional.

http://www.draftexpr...Hansbrough-288/
Here's some old and new articles for you as well. Shows at one point Tyler was knocking on the door as a lottery pick. So being top 10 wasn't so far off. For him getting "better" every year his stock sure has fallen.

Actually, he has made a lot of big shots with people in his face. You must not have watched many Carolina games this year.

Any way you slice it though, Hansbrough accomplished much more than his athletic ability should have allowed him too. Part of that is his own work ethic and determination to succeed, but you can't just discount the job that Roy Williams did with him either.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com