Photo
- - - - -

Someone elighten me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
88 replies to this topic

#76 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

Your mistake is the same one the Obama supporters made. That is thinking that there is "one" person who can pull us out of the mess. We live in a democracy, not a dictatorship. If we are going to fix things, it has to be a group effort. We need a group of people, congress and executive branch and maybe even a few citizens, who are willing to come to some sort of consensus and compromise on some key issues. We don't need some hard line conservative, liberal or libertarian coming in and saying its my way or else.

You're right, one person won't pull us out of the mess, and by the same token, I don't think one person can put us completely into a mess either.

And I believe compromise doesn't exist in Washington right now.

#77 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

SUPPORTER

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

I think that is exactly what the media and the powers that be want us to think.

They WANT us to think that "certain candidates" dont have a chance. If they repeat it enough, they will get us to believe, and instead vote for the candidate that THEY want us to think is the only one who can succeed.

I remember everyone in the media saying that Ron Paul never had a chance, but was pleasantly surprized to see that he was holding on last night until the very end. I am proud of the Americans who supported the candidate who they thought was best for the job instead of the candidate that the media tells us that we have to support.

Remember, The media has an agenda too, you cant just blindly beleive everything that they tell you.

I can care less about the media right now. I know they're incredibly biased and everything they do is to garner ratings.

#78 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

You're right, one person won't pull us out of the mess, and by the same token, I don't think one person can put us completely into a mess either.

And I believe compromise doesn't exist in Washington right now.

I agree.

Although I think voters are partially to blame for compromise not existing. Some of those on the left got upset with Obama because they thought he was compromising to much with republicans, especially on health care. And of course, if a Tea Party congressman compromises with the democrats, its probably going to cost him or her votes in the next election cycle.

#79 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

This thread is 79 posts and one cup

#80 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

HUDDLER

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Actually we live in a Constitutional republic, and only one candidate actually wants to follow the Constitution. Ron Paul.

Well...I will say technically its supposed to be a constitutional republic, but as you can see over the years its morphed into everything but that :)

#81 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

HUDDLER

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I agree.

Although I think voters are partially to blame for compromise not existing. Some of those on the left got upset with Obama because they thought he was compromising to much with republicans, especially on health care. And of course, if a Tea Party congressman compromises with the democrats, its probably going to cost him or her votes in the next election cycle.

Exactly! If a high ranking politician were to say "I thought X was the right course of action, but new evidence shows that it was wrong & Y would be better so we're going to do that."
The other party would go apepoo using it against them.

Sad really, we have a near endless supply of jokes about the incompetence & dishonesty of politicians yet we insist they be perfect at the same time.

#82 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:28 AM

If the GOP's strategy was to find someone that could beat Obama, they would be hailing Ron Paul

this is the craziest thing you've ever posted on this board

including that reptilian stuff

#83 JeramiahCopperfield

JeramiahCopperfield

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Well...I will say technically its supposed to be a constitutional republic, but as you can see over the years its morphed into everything but that :)

It's just funny after a while. We live in a democracy? wtf haha.

#84 JeramiahCopperfield

JeramiahCopperfield

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

why would they want to nominate someone who CAN'T beat Obama? They wouldn't.

Basically it may come down to the lesser evil......worst GOP candidate is still better than what we currently have.

That presupposes a LOT. First, that the GOP and DNC do not collude together, and/or are not controlled by the same entity or entities. That is probably not true since power and money tend to aggregate together.

Secondly, it presupposes that the President is truly free to act as he or she wishes. All nonsense aside it comes down to a simple philosophical question. Namely: If you agree to never question the construct of a system, are you the master, or the system?

The President as I view him now appears to be more like a manager or a CEO of a corporation. Only one candidate I know of wants to alter the very structure of the system/corporation/construct/whatever you want to call it.

#85 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

this is the craziest thing you've ever posted on this board

including that reptilian stuff

I was inferring that in the sense that Paul is the only candidate who's views differ from Obama and the status quo.

#86 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

I was inferring that in the sense that Paul is the only candidate who's views differ from Obama and the status quo.

Translation (for those of you whom are still confused)

Ron Paul is the ONLY candidate that will bring about true change to this country!

#87 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

I hear he's going to ship Congress and the Supreme Court off to Mars so he can then change whatever he likes

#88 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

I hear he's going to ship Congress and the Supreme Court off to Mars so he can then change whatever he likes

He might actually get my vote then. Especially if he agrees to go with them. :)

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 05 January 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#89 davos

davos

€∞€∞€∞€

HUDDLER

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

When the party's electorate is divided 3 ways (not necessarily by candidates), they'll never get what they want because they have no clue as a collective whole.

The only description I can think of:

A hard-ass white statesmen with Christian-based morals that can manage to look both genuine and not like an asshole when calling out Obama. He manages to completely separate himself yet can still manage to not lose the middle. They are walking a tricky line between appearing far-right without looking out of touch for the mid-right types.

That's why imo...the guy that would do best for what they want (not what I want) isn't running:

Mitch Daniels