• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

I remember when I saw the Bears traded Olsen to us. At first I worried if he gave up a 1st or a 2nd rounder, but when I saw it was a 3rd, I was amazed. I'm a huge Miami fan on the side and was hoping we'd grab both Olsen and Beason during the draft that year. The trade felt like we pulled one over on the Bears and indeed we did.

#32 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Meh, all Belichick does is trade players for picks, then trade those picks for more picks and never does anything with them.

How many rings does he have?

How many rings does Hurney, AJ Smith, etc have.

I think he does a lot more with picks....sadly, as I hate NE.

#33 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Posted Image

#34 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

We got 'em back for that stupid Chris Harris for Jamar Williams trade.

#35 SOJA

SOJA

King McNutt 2016

• HUDDLER
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

It was a fuging great trade, as shock gets older look for Olsen to improve drastically

#36 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

I would say however in addition to his stats his mere presence also helped other receivers get open

I'm curious how much he helped Shockey in particular.. when you have a TE that can stretch the field that leaves very little resources for a solid pass catching vet in key situations..

Obviously, Smitty magnifies that..

#37 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Olsen is going to be one of our favorite Panthers ever. What makes him such a huge gem however is not only his fantastic skill set, his age, or his attitude. It's Chud and Shockey. Chud's history with Olsen is ideal and having another stud TE in Shockey who Chud also coached at the U (to all-American status no less) to me sets the perfect scenario. A cohesive partnership of people speaking the same language with a built-in mentor who has the killer instinct Olsen may lack is nothing short of perfection. I cannot think of another situation quite this unique in the league.

#38 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

I'm curious how much he helped Shockey in particular.. when you have a TE that can stretch the field that leaves very little resources for a solid pass catching vet in key situations..

Obviously, Smitty magnifies that..

when you have the TEs we do you can put 4 good receivers on the field without having to go to a spread formation, and given Cam's athleticism (he's not a statue) extra blockers aren't really a requirement in most cases unless the line is really playing piss poor. It's honestly becoming just another dimension of the passing game in recent years. The Patriots have a nasty 2 TE set that was like over twice as productive as ours. Miami's currently trying to develop one with Fasano and Charles Clay. The Redskins have Fred Davis and Chris Cooley.

There are advantages to this set over using spread formation. For one, you're not conveying to the defense as easily whether you're having 4 guys run routes or if they're just blocking for the running back. 2nd, if you have 2 good receiving TEs that are better than your 3rd and 4th receivers. And of course you have the mismatches against secondaries that TEs can bring.

Olsen seemed to vanish in the 2nd half of the season and Shockey took a slightly bigger command of the offense later on. Now i'm not sure if it was mainly because he got hurt or defenses started accounting for him (i'm sure both played a part), but I remember making this thread where Tennessee's defense basically took Olsen out of the game and Naanee caught almost everything that was thrown to him which was a lot, but he didn't convert any of those into big plays, like LaFell could do if he keeps progressing this offseason and gets a better grasp of the playbook. It looks like Olsen was attracting a lot more coverage at that point.

#39 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,797 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

olsen was expected to post massive numbers and become a team star, but that was back before we knew what we had in cam. nobody expected steve smith to break a thousand yards, and lafell seemed shaky based on training camp reports, and everyone was worried shockey was going to suck/be a cancer.

given the array of weaponry on the offense - including the NFL's best triple-threat running game - olsen's posting of 45 receptions for 540 yards, 5 touchdowns, and a 12.0 APC is pretty damn impressive.

as others have mentioned the versatility of tight ends like olsen forces teams to account for them (unheard of in the king/rosario era) which significantly opens things up for wide receivers. defensive coordinators know what olsen is capable of and they do gameplan for him. he slowed down later in the season for the same reason steve smith did: teams started covering him.

#40 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,053 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

I expected more out of both our TE'S.

Together, they weren't as good as walls.

Here is to hoping olsen is better next season.

Still well worth the 3rd round pick.

#41 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,017 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

this thread is dildos

#42 klbishop143

klbishop143

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest (it sucks here)

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

I still have a chub over this deal. Even though Olsen didn't have a great year, he is a solid weapon for Cam

call a doctor

#43 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

I expected more out of both our TE'S.

Together, they weren't as good as walls.

Here is to hoping olsen is better next season.

Still well worth the 3rd round pick.

That's just not true. Walls never had as many yards receiving as those two this year, even in his best year.

He did surpass their TD total two years, in '96 and '99, but in every other year he didn't even come close to their total.

#44 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

Olsen is one of the best things to happen to this team in a long long time. Probably #2 behind Cam. That said Kellen Davis does look like he could be pretty damn good if developed well. But Cutler is garbage and wouldn't have made a difference, don't care what anyone says. Bears will be looking for a new QB after next season.

You really believe that? You must be trolling, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.