40 replies to this topic

#31 futurecoach91

futurecoach91

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, SC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Alshon Jeffery would be a great pick for us to compliment smitty.
But Defense has to be more important for this team

#32 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Alshon = best TE in the draft

I could see Alshon being a great TE in the NFL and even if that was the case it wouldnt make me feel any different about him being just as great a player in the league at WR.

#33 futurecoach91

futurecoach91

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, SC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

I could see Alshon being a great TE in the NFL and even if that was the case it wouldnt make me feel any different about him being just as great a player in the league at WR.

Could alshon really play TE in the NFL?
Is he that good of a blocker?

#34 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

He could LEARN. Who said it had to be a given? No player is flawless coming into the NFL, they all got things there are gonna have to get better at. He would have to work on his blocking at receiver as well.

#35 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,853 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

GRG wants my nuts.

#36 TheFableof89

TheFableof89

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

Jared Cook wasn't the best blocker either I recall.

#37 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,853 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

A lot of TE's aren't good blockers, but that's not why they're there. If he can chip or scrape that would be more than enough initially to get him in the field.

#38 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

Lol at the SC fans coming out, earlier it was all about don't say nothing about his route running and him being slow. Then you go and post a draft article that simply states that he isn't a good route runner and is slow.

- Will get upright off the line vs. press and too often looks to skip into his route. Would like to see him stay lower and more compact.
- Stutters his steps when trying to get out of his breaks in the three-step game and will advertise his routes a bit.
- Gets upright when running the inward breaking routes, making him susceptible to physical corners when trying to change directions.

Don't compare him to Fitz or either of the Johnson's. Not even Colston or Roy Williams.

Fitz has been clocked in the 4.53 area (yes, Fitzgerald ran a 4.6 at the Combine), Calvin ran a 4.35-4.4, Andre Johnson ran a 4.4, Colston ran a low 4.5 and Roy Williams ran a 4.48.

His speed and skill set is more comparable to Boldin then any of the other big receiver's in the NFL. Which is why he should be an early second round pick and the 4th WR taken in the draft after Blackmon, Floyd and Wright.

#39 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,853 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

What can you say, they love Cocks.

#40 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Lol at the SC fans coming out, earlier it was all about don't say nothing about his route running and him being slow. Then you go and post a draft article that simply states that he isn't a good route runner and is slow.

Don't compare him to Fitz or either of the Johnson's. Not even Colston or Roy Williams.

Fitz has been clocked in the 4.53 area (yes, Fitzgerald ran a 4.6 at the Combine), Calvin ran a 4.35-4.4, Andre Johnson ran a 4.4, Colston ran a low 4.5 and Roy Williams ran a 4.48.

His speed and skill set is more comparable to Boldin then any of the other big receiver's in the NFL. Which is why he should be an early second round pick and the 4th WR taken in the draft after Blackmon, Floyd and Wright.

Trying to compare players, or say he's a young version of such and such is really stupid to me.

I like Alshon because of what I have seen him do against the top talent at corner(Janoris Jenkins,Alfonzo Dennard,Dre Kirkpatrick) and still had success in spite of not being a track star. Alshon has things that you cant teach other receivers, Size, Best hands in draft, leaping ability and work ethic.

We already have a deep threat in Smitty and Hopefully Gettis will become one as well. Jeffery would be that guy who Cam can just lob it up to for an easy TD in the redzone. As a matter of a fact I would say he would instantly be our biggest redzone weapon at receiver if we were to draft him.

#41 GamecockSmitty4

GamecockSmitty4

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

The best comparison I've seen for Alshon is Brandon Marshall. Very similar skillset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com