Photo
- - - - -

Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
409 replies to this topic

#401 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I can see KC go Oline or WR this year. More then Dline.

but they also really need a NT.

#402 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

but they also really need a NT.

Bowe is a FA and and I think Waters might retire.

#403 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Bowe is a FA and and I think Waters might retire.

Bowe is not going any where this year, and NT Gregg will not be returning as well.

#404 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'd be very happy if we got Brockers, Poe or Cox. But I'd rather Poe or Cox be after a trade down. The combine shouldn't have such an impact on how Poe or Brockers or pretty much anyone else are viewed (though I realize in many peoples' eyes it does) except in cases where particular traits are in question (like Jeffery and Blackmon's speed or things of that nature). And even then, their speed shouldn't affect opinions of them THAT much since they've shown how spectacular they are at catching the football (Blackmon in particular).

And in reference to the much earlier post about Poe being better than Brockers even discounting the combine and going off performance in pads, I will just have to agree to strongly disagree. Stats don't tell everything and stats don't = performance and Poe wasn't even better. Just the quantifiable stats:

Brockers (not including the BCSC where he got 7 total tackles): 54 total tackles (solo and assists combined), 10 of which for a loss, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 3 passes deflected (thought that'd be higher), and an interception.

Poe: 33 total tackles, 8 TFL, 1 sack, 3 passes deflected.

I prefer to actually watch them play and judge based off that, and in that respect Brockers was easily superior based on what videos I've watched. People have been trying to use him playing on a dominant defense as a reason why he wasn't as impressive. I believe the opposite, I believe (based on what I've watched) that defense was so dominant primarily because of two players: Claiborne and Brockers. He made the rest look better, not the other way around.

With a bit more effort in the Big10 a guy like Poe should have dominated. That goes once again to players not motivating themselves. Money is the motivation at the combine so you see every bit of speed and strength and effort. A guy can be a super elite athlete but if he isn't motivated he'll never be great.

I'll take Brockers production as a sophomore over Poe's as a junior. Poe may become a beast in the NFL but he should have beasted in the Big10.

#405 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

With a bit more effort in the Big10 a guy like Poe should have dominated. That goes once again to players not motivating themselves. Money is the motivation at the combine so you see every bit of speed and strength and effort. A guy can be a super elite athlete but if he isn't motivated he'll never be great.

I'll take Brockers production as a sophomore over Poe's as a junior. Poe may become a beast in the NFL but he should have beasted in the Big10.

Poe did not play in the Big10....he was at Memphis (C-USA).

#406 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Poe's lack of production is a bit of a concern for me, but I also realize that he was the only legit D1 player on that Memphis D. The opposing OL could pretty much just key in on him.

#407 jungleking

jungleking

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Poe was a second-round guy until the combine, and even that was based solely on his athletic potential. I can't get past the idea of taking a guy who wasn't even first team Conference USA in the top ten of the NFL Draft. If Carolina insists on taking a physical prospect that can't motivate himself to play at a high level all the time, why not just take Coples? Or Jenkins? There's plenty of guys who have question marks that aren't physical, but still produced at high levels against good competition. Poe has the same questions and didn't even play well enough to justify the pick.

#408 jungleking

jungleking

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Poe's lack of production is a bit of a concern for me, but I also realize that he was the only legit D1 player on that Memphis D. The opposing OL could pretty much just key in on him.

DeAngelo Williams set NCAA records at the same school, with the same problems as Poe. If you're going to play against inferior competition, you have to dominate it.

#409 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

DeAngelo Williams set NCAA records at the same school, with the same problems as Poe. If you're going to play against inferior competition, you have to dominate it.

RB is a far different animal than DT. Plus, Memphis was a decent C-USA team during DeAngelo's time. Memphis has been absolutely terrible during Poe's time. Big time apples to oranges comparison.

#410 jungleking

jungleking

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

RB is a far different animal than DT. Plus, Memphis was a decent C-USA team during DeAngelo's time. Memphis has been absolutely terrible during Poe's time. Big time apples to oranges comparison.

Of course offense and defense are different, but we're talking about a top ten selection in the NFL draft. His scouting reports tell the story of a guy with inconsistent technique and effort. Lack of production+lack of effort=top draft pick? These are all the same reasons that Coples is getting hated on, nationally and around here.