Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seltzer

Hurney Would Have My Vote for GM of the Year

79-81 2002- Present Record. Very Impressive! Not.

8-24 2010-2011 Record. Lolz.

What more really needs to be said. Erase this stupid thread! LOLZ!

you should create a spreadsheet...

People can cherry pick draft decisions and trades all day long, but nobody except an insider can give a clear view of the decision process. I'm not one, but I see the Panthers as working inside whatever current management structure they have. In other words, the HC is hired for his vision of the type/style of team he wants to field, then the GM works with the coaching staff, scouts and the ownership to provide the players that fit.

Ultimately the owner decides how much decision power is delegated to each piece of the puzzle. I think some put far greater decision making power in Hurney's hands regarding draft decisions than he should be credited with (or blamed for), but that's just more speculation. From a pure financial standpoint, few argue that Hurney doesn't have excellent money/cap management skills.

We are now under the second "team" of management structure since Hurney's arrival as GM. I'm looking at all this with fresh eyes and I like what I see from our new "brain trust". I really believe Fox was a big player in all of the preceding personnel decisions up until the lame duck 2010 season. It will be interesting to see what happens now. I think we've already seen that Rivera has pull in the personnel department and I think that will carry over into the draft strategy.

From 2001 forward...

1st Round Talent: Dan Morgan, Julius Peppers, Jordan Gross, Chris Gamble, Thomas Davis, Deangelo Williams, Jon Beason, Jonathan Stewart, Jeff Otah, Cam Newton

Early Rounds: Kris Jenkins (2), Steve Smith (3), Will Witherspoon (3), Travelle Wharton (3?), James Anderson (3), Ryan Kalil (2), Charles Johnson (3), Charles Godfrey (3), Dan Connor (3), Brandon Lafell (3)

Late Round Gems: Ricky Manning (4), Geoff Hangartner (5?), Tony Fiametta (4?), Greg Hardy (6) *still think he will be a huge success next year*, David Gettis (6)

Say what you want, but the man is on point with his 1st round picks, and finding talent and depth later. He had one really bad draft year...2009. I think his successes far exceed his mistakes.

Not to mention he is a cap king. You can count on my vote, if it were real.

not surprisingly his supporters don't know basic facts like who he drafted and who he didn't

not surprisingly his supporters don't know basic facts like who he drafted and who he didn't

ironically, his haters do the same.. trying to pawn Otah and EB off on Hurney while Fox was clearly trying to save his job..

Well he was piloting from the GM spot from 2002 forward, so I get what you are saying about accuracy. Having said that, Marty's been involved in some capacity since 1998 and giving Seifert props for the '01 picks isn't something I can get too excited about.....this goes back to my point about drafting being a team effort with decision power being determined by the ownership.

I'm holding off on my final opinion of him just yet. To me, this offseason is one of those career defining moments! We are at a crossroads and with some smart moves and solid draft we have the potential to be annual playoff threats starting next year. We need more than the draft to lock up depth, but we need a draft that we get two upgraded starters at positions of need.

This offseason is the most telling year in which we will b able to truly judge his ability to build a sustained contender

You do know your vote doesn't count?

If you guys want to incorporate some recency bias we can. WL mean anything? The ability to draft #1 can be just the placebo to cause one to overlook trends in missing talent.

Go apples to apples within the division. So some will say yeah but the Falcons got a qb and so did the Saints. Umm thats what you are freakin supposed to do. Find the best players. Falcons recently have had 3 winning seasons in a row.

Bottom line more wins come from good drafts. Cam Newton saved Martys job. i guess the way Aning did Polian for 10 years.

Not GM of the year this year. That should go to Houstons.

I dont know about GM of the year, but Hurney and gang deserve respect for pulling the trigger and drafting Newton. It was a gutsy and bold move for our franchise thats already paying off big time. There was strong opposition from fans and the media, but Hurney remained resilient! And with his grace and vision hes put our beloved football team in a position to compete with anybody in this league. If giving Jake that huge contract in 09 is his greatest downfall then bringing Cameron into our family is his greatest triumph.

Guest stone ground

I dont know about GM of the year, but Hurney and gang deserve respect for pulling the trigger and drafting Newton. It was a gutsy and bold move for our franchise thats already paying off big time. There was strong opposition from fans and the media, but Hurney remained resilient! And with his grace and vision hes put our beloved football team in a position to compete with anybody in this league. If giving Jake that huge contract in 09 is his greatest downfall then bringing Cameron into our family is his greatest triumph.

Good to see you still have Cam balls deep in your ass.

Good to see you still have Cam balls deep in your ass.

When you get mad you think gay thoughts, we all know this now you petty troll. Now run along and think of your next shitty user handle when you get zapped again. It would take 30 of you to add up to a Marty Hurney. His name will reign when you are long forgotten.

I came across this thing called sarcasm. It's new to me and I was just trying it out for the 1st time. I'm not sure if I did it right, so any tips on how to effectively master it is welcome.

Yeah I'd recommend making it a little more visible. Almost impossible to pick it up from you putting two words with no punctuation.

I'm on the fence with Hurney. He deserves a huge + for selecting Cam. As someone who supported drafting Newton, I have to admit it was not an easy call, with damn near every "expert" saying he would fail.

But there are plenty of minuses as well. How you divide those up between Hurney and the respective head coaches is something none of us can ever know. I hated, for example, that we turned up our noses at some of the FA corners last year (i.e. Carlos Rogers). I hated that we opened the season with two rookies and a near rookie at DT. The selections of Armanti and to some extent Hogan (due to his injury) were very questionable calls. We have overvalued some of our own players leaving us in a questionable situation cap wise.

Guys like Clausen and Everette Brown were just misses. Everybody has some from time to time so it is hard to be overly critical in that department.

Whether it is Hurney or JR, this organization has to utilize FA more effectively. That doesn't mean we should spend a fortune on Mario Williams or Bowe or Jackson. However, we do need to be less afraid of mid-tier guys. No organization can be successful building through the draft alone; FA must be used as well.

Put me in the undecided camp.