Photo
- - - - -

Should employers be able to factor in health concerns?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Slippery slope is slippery...

I'm 6' @ 290lbs, and by all medical terms obese... I just had the first physical exam of my adult life (I'm 31) and the doctor couldn't be more pleased with my overall health. All blood tests were perfect, and all levels were right on the bulls-eye of where they should be for someone at a normal BMI... Yes, I know it will probably eventually catch up to me later in life, and I understand that argument has at least some potential validity...

However, the only medical expenses I currently have are when I refill my monthly asthma medication (a condition which I have had since birth)... I'm never sick, really... at least not enough to go to the doctor...

There are people in my own office whom have all kinds of health problems and aren't smokers/overweight, that carry an exponentially greater cost to our agency for health care...

It is a wide brush to paint with, and if you're going to single out people based on lifestyle decisions, you have to start invading their bedrooms, their garages, their free time activities, etc...

Most companies can lighten their financial burden by cutting fiscal wastes, but no, rather than admit they have their own problems, they'll attack the easier target...

#32 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Slippery slope is slippery...

I'm 6' @ 290lbs, and by all medical terms obese...

just by medical terms????

<3

#33 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

You want to have a foot race?

#34 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

just by medical terms????

<3

and by your mom's terms I'm God, or Jesus... whichever...

#35 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,771 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

It is a slippery slope... as far as the smoker thing... what do you just ask when they interview? I'm sure some would have a problem with the question. I mean, like MCP said, if it's obvious (like you smell like smoke or are really fat) and the employer doesn't like it, they can find a reason not to hire you...

When you start talking about things like people paying more for insurance etc. due to health conditions... take obesity for example. What measure do you use? BMI?

According to BMI, I am classified as obese... at 6'0" and 220 lbs... I lift weights 6 days a week, my bodyfat is probably around 12% and am in no way "obese".

Definitely could go in a direction that you don't want if companies start implementing policies like this...

The state was talking about using BMI for insurance rates for state employees... wtf would I have to do? Go to a Dr and get a note that I'm not obese???

Edit: I just looked it up... the state's new guidelines call for anyone over 40 BMI to automatically go on the 70/30 insurance rates.

Edited by nc_biscuit, 11 January 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#36 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

It is a slippery slope... as far as the smoker thing... what do you just ask when they interview? I'm sure some would have a problem with the question. I mean, like MCP said, if it's obvious (like you smell like smoke or are really fat) and the employer doesn't like it, they can find a reason not to hire you...

When you start talking about things like people paying more for insurance etc. due to health conditions... take obesity for example. What measure do you use? BMI?

According to BMI, I am classified as obese... at 6'0" and 220 lbs... I lift weights 6 days a week, my bodyfat is probably around 12% and am in no way "obese".

Definitely could go in a direction that you don't want if companies start implementing policies like this...

The state was talking about using BMI for insurance rates for state employees... wtf would I have to do? Go to a Dr and get a note that I'm not obese???

Edit: I just looked it up... the state's new guidelines call for anyone over 40 BMI to automatically go on the 70/30 insurance rates.

This is true... We had to sign a statement for that and the tobacco cessation policy (meaning you can't use any kind of tobacco) a while back to remain on the 80/20 plan...

I could probably gain a waiver based on my asthma and allergies, and I could probably just lose the weight quick enough for it not to catch up to me (only need to lose a couple lbs for BMI of 40)... but like you said, are they just going to gather everyone's medical records?!?!? Talk about a waste of taxpayer money and state employee time...

#37 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

As an employer, to me the obesity test would be an eyeball test and not any numerical thing like BMI. You either look fat and sloppy or your don't. Not sure that either of you guys would fail my eyeball test.

#38 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,668 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

shut it, fatties! ;)

#39 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

You want to have a foot race?

I would destroy you in anything....except listening to crappy death metal in your parents basement. You've got me there

#40 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

and neck bearding

#41 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Employers should be able to hire or fire you for whatever reason they want.

It's their money.

#42 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,338 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Employers should be able to hire or fire you for whatever reason they want.

It's their money.

but everyone has a right to a job and a living wage

#43 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yes.

#44 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

but everyone has a right to a job and a living wage

Positive rights don't exist. You can't be naturally obligated to something that someone else has to provide you.

#45 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

sounds fair enough to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.