Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CarolinaPanthers8789

Jeff Skinner cleared for contact/Justin Faulk only Hurricane's All-Star

3 posts in this topic

Jeff Skinner (concussion) has been cleared to resume contact.

This is good news because it indicates that Skinner will be able to return shortly from a concussion that has sidelined him for the last 14 games. He will likely be re-evaluated after Wednesday's practice to determine when he will be ready to play again and that nod may come as early as Thursday night in Tampa.

Source: Raleigh News & Observer

On a side note Justin Faulk has been selected as one of the 10 rookies to compete in the skills challenges on All-Star Weekend. He is the only Hurricanes player participating in All-Star Weekend.

To be honest, I'm glad Skinner is OK, but I wouldn't mind if he took the rest of the season off. I don't support the idea of trying to lose to get the top pick, but I don't want to damage our place in line by winning some meaningless games down the stretch.

Congrats to Faulk, especially considering he didn't get to play for America in the World Juniors tournament.

I am not in favor of Skinner coming back this season at all. Lets face it, he is the future of our franchise. Why chance losing him on a wasted year.....

Great job Faulk!

• Topics

• So we have already picked up Kelvin's fifth year option.  If I gaze into my crystal ball this is what I see happening. This upcoming season (year four) for Kelvin, will be a somewhat of a disappointment, same for Funchess. However, our offense will benefit from the varied and viable options we have provided Cam.  Panthers win Superbowl beating the Patriots and Olsen retires.  Panthers draft a tight end with pick 32.  Kelvin will swear in the offseason that he's taking things seriously as they will need him to be a leader with Olsen retiring., hint: he will because that oh so coveted second contract is looming and Kelvin is no spring chicken (already 26).  Year 5 comes. Kelvin has worked himself into shape and looks amazing. Basically everything we've always wanted from him. However, Funchess has a great season as well, remember Funchess is only (22) right now. He probably came out a year too early and it historically takes WRs a couple years to hit their stride.  Big time decision will come down to Gettleman and co. and I ultimately think we move on from Benjamin where he goes on to sign with the Los Angeles Rams. 
    • Competition makes the most of everyone. Gano had an off year and might be spurred on by the challenge. This guy seems like a good kid, but only one or two new kickers make it into the league each year... it's a hard gig to land.