• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

I’ve always heard people ask this question of the christian God. If God is real, why doesn’t He come and show Himself to us, and speak for Himself, versus having His “prophets” speak for Him? I like to answer this question by giving what I am now calling the “Star Argument”.

Let me ask everyone this question. What would happen to the earth if it was suddenly placed a hundred miles from the sun? Scientifically speaking, I imagine many reactions would take place, but in layman’s terms the earth would basically be consumed by the excess of heat and energy coming from the sun. Now, our sun is certainly not the hottest, nor is it the biggest star in our universe. Yet if we were to place the earth next to a white dwarf star, I imagine the same process would take place. (Albeit slower) So if this happens to our planet against the smallest of stars, what would happen if the Creator of those stars, whose glory outshines all the stars and galaxies in the universe combined, all of a sudden showed up on earth? I imagine not only the earth would be consumed, but the very universe itself would also perish! In comparison, God’s glory makes the sun look like a black dot.

Now with all that said, some of you will say “Well if He’s God, He should be able to show Himself to us without consuming us in His glory.” This will be God revealing Himself in a cloaked form. Remember when God revealed Himself to Moses out of the burning bush? That was a cloaked form. Remember when God lead the people of Israel out of Egypt with the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night? That was God in a cloaked form, God was inside the pillar of cloud and pillar of fire, and He was walking in the midst of it. The Angel of the Lord, the Person who appeared before Joshua, all of these were God in a cloaked form. God once told Moses that he couldn’t see His face and live, but that as He is walking through, He would cover Moses with His hand and afterward Moses could see His back. This is the star argument in a nutshell, and all of this lead up to God revealing Himself by becoming the Man Jesus.

There you have it; this is why God does not reveal Himself to us directly. If He did, we would all die. It’s for our own good that He didn’t reveal Himself directly.

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

#3 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

So God is a star?

#4 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

http://www.thestuden...d.php?t=1854193

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,811 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

So God is a star?

A rock star.

Silly argument is silly. You can rationalize stuff like this forever depending on your belief system.

Also, be prepared for the onslaught in a thread like this... it's coming...

#6 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

So God is a star?

He created the stars. There is the connection that if He created them, He is more powerful than they. There's more energy resonating from Him than there is from the stars. If so, His direct presence would consume the earth.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Man created the atomic bomb; therefore, we cannot stand next to a man or we would immediately be blown up.

I better get out of the office while I still can.

#8 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Man created the atomic bomb; therefore, we cannot stand next to a man or we would immediately be blown up.

I better get out of the office while I still can.

Did man make the atomic bomb, or did they use existing material and formed the atomic bomb? Everything we make is from existing material, knowledge of how things work (like combining chemicals to make a product), and a combination of the two. God making the stars is from His own power to create.

#9 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

This thread will not end well...

#10 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

The Sun will burn out.. What happens then? This is the more pertinent question to ask here.

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

I better stop before I open up my own jar of paste for dinner

#12 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Did man make the atomic bomb, or did they use existing material and formed the atomic bomb? Everything we make is from existing material, knowledge of how things work (like combining chemicals to make a product), and a combination of the two. God making the stars is from His own power to create.

I created god and gave him his power with my mind.

#13 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

There's one thing we all agree with here. The sun would consume the earth if it was placed near it in terms of a short distance. Now this argument is based on how God is represented in the Bible. The reason why in the end, God will come down on the "new Earth", because this current earth would perish in His presence. It explains why our bodies must be changed to inherit the kingdom of God.

Besides, if God exists, is it realistic to think that He has some kind of universe factory to make the stars, planets, ect? If so, the material He used to make them existed before He did. (Just like the material today existed before us) If there is a God, it wouldn't make sense to see Him like we are.

#14 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Dumb people make me fear for the worst.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,959 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

When my body changes I'd like large sensitive breasts, God. Thanks.

Oh man...opening the jar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.