• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

The bigs are extremely talented but also EXTREMELY soft. Same problem they had last year.

#17 SamTheRam

SamTheRam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

I thought they had chemistry issues early on, and now I think those demons are resuscitating. I just don't get the feeling the rest of his team appreciates Zeller, or vice versa. Against UK, Henson missed a wide open dunk at the end of the first half and got his ish swatted at the end of the game. He was 0-7 at the line yesterday. That will kill you in the tournament, as has been proven over and over again. Can't stop Henson? Foul him. Can't do that to Zeller. And Barnes hasn't improved. He's a great offensive player, but he can't go for 50 because Zeller and Henson won't do the dirty work for him. I think Henson, Barnes and Jones of UK all came back because they didn't think there would be an NBA season. They figured those lottery pick slots would still be there waiting for them next year. Now they have to re-earn them against hungrier players and they're not motivated to re-prove what they feel they've already earned.

#18 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

I thought they had chemistry issues early on, and now I think those demons are resuscitating. I just don't get the feeling the rest of his team appreciates Zeller, or vice versa. Against UK, Henson missed a wide open dunk at the end of the first half and got his ish swatted at the end of the game. He was 0-7 at the line yesterday. That will kill you in the tournament, as has been proven over and over again. Can't stop Henson? Foul him. Can't do that to Zeller. And Barnes hasn't improved. He's a great offensive player, but he can't go for 50 because Zeller and Henson won't do the dirty work for him. I think Henson, Barnes and Jones of UK all came back because they didn't think there would be an NBA season. They figured those lottery pick slots would still be there waiting for them next year. Now they have to re-earn them against hungrier players and they're not motivated to re-prove what they feel they've already earned.

Barnes may have made a mistake coming back. Gilcrest from KU already looks like the better player. And that kid at VA is a small foward in the NBa looks more aggressive then barnes. Right now he might be the 3rd or 4th best SF propect coming out this year.

#19 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,498 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

I was hoping Roy would just bench the starters to send a message..

The main issue I find is this team is in it's 2nd year together..

both championship teams took time to grow.. we are expecting it to happen sooner because on paper, there's no reason they couldn't win a championship this year..

but Roy does deserve his criticisms.. rarely are teams lasting 3-4 years anymore.. If they don't win it this year, I'm not sure there will be a next..

Edited by bleys, 16 January 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#20 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

In 05 the Heels had 3 players with heart and a chip on their shoulder...May, McCants, and Felton.

In 09 they had Hansbrough, Lawson, and Ellington. Lord knows Hansbrough had more emotion and will to win than this years team combined.

This years teams bigs are soft, they don't go to the rim hard, Zeller gets the ball knocked loose way to much, Henson settles for a jumper, and Barnes plays the game in his head instead of by instinct. McAdoo just can't find his role or shot yet...shoots to many jumpers. The backcourt has Marshall who can't score and can't guard quick pgs...basically he doesn't need to be defended on offense. Strickland playing the 2 isn't a good shooter and rarely shoots a 3. Bullock is a streaky shooter at best and usually shoots to quick in the possession. PJ shot has left him...he couldn't miss at the start of the season so I'm wondering if he has a nagging injury.

I actually don't blame Roy. He can't help his players make good decisions or have heart/intensity. I do wish he would start PJ of Bullock at the 2. It would give a 3pt threat at the start of games....granted Strickland has better D.

hahahahaha

#21 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

As far as K winning with much less talent...give me a break. The guy gets his fair share of 5 star's. Wasn't Rivers the #1 player out of last year's class?

Maybe. Rivers looks like an OK player, but nothing like the #1 player in a class.

K won a championship with the jewish assassin as his starting PG.

K also won a championship when his big man (Boozer) got hurt and then went to a back court duo of Jason Williams and Chris Duhon (that team did have a lot of talent).

K can adapt to changes in his roster in ways that it doesn't appear that Roy can. I also can't ever remember K having a team that didn't bust their ass. Can't say the same for Roy.

#22 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

They need a killer again. Last one was Ty Lawson. I thought Barnes would be it but he is dissapointing. So is Rivers but at least he's a freshman. GO DUKE!

#23 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Maybe. Rivers looks like an OK player, but nothing like the #1 player in a class.

K won a championship with the jewish assassin as his starting PG.

K also won a championship when his big man (Boozer) got hurt and then went to a back court duo of Jason Williams and Chris Duhon (that team did have a lot of talent).

K can adapt to changes in his roster in ways that it doesn't appear that Roy can. I also can't ever remember K having a team that didn't bust their ass. Can't say the same for Roy.

Meh....can't say I disagree with you. Even though I can't stand dook or K for that matter, playing hard has never been a problem for them. I respect K because of how hard his teams play for him all the time. Now granted I don't see nearly as many dook games as I do UNC games, but I have seen UNC play a lot of games where they just look like they are going through the motions. And for the record Dean Smith and K are a lot alike in this respect. I NEVER saw a Dean Smith team lack in effort.

#24 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

hahahahaha

What's so funny? May was a monster in 05.

#25 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

Meh....can't say I disagree with you. Even though I can't stand dook or K for that matter, playing hard has never been a problem for them. I respect K because of how hard his teams play for him all the time. Now granted I don't see nearly as many dook games as I do UNC games, but I have seen UNC play a lot of games where they just look like they are going through the motions. And for the record Dean Smith and K are a lot alike in this respect. I NEVER saw a Dean Smith team lack in effort.

Thats right, because as soon as his players would start slacking off, he would put them right on the bench. Roy doesn't do that.

Also, what got me was at the end of that FSU game, Roy called a time out, and cleared everyone out of there. They went straight off the court, into the locker room. At the end of the Temple game (I think), K called a timeout, huddled his starters together, made everyone look at the scoreboard, probably said something along the lines of "dont let this happen again".

#26 SamTheRam

SamTheRam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thats right, because as soon as his players would start slacking off, he would put them right on the bench. Roy doesn't do that.

Also, what got me was at the end of that FSU game, Roy called a time out, and cleared everyone out of there. They went straight off the court, into the locker room. At the end of the Temple game (I think), K called a timeout, huddled his starters together, made everyone look at the scoreboard, probably said something along the lines of "dont let this happen again".

Have to disagree on this one. Dean Smith was famous for his team's poise during countless comeback victories. Only thing was....why did they get so far down to begin with? UNC would sleepwalk through the first two thirds of the game constantly under Dean.

#27 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Have to disagree on this one. Dean Smith was famous for his team's poise during countless comeback victories. Only thing was....why did they get so far down to begin with? UNC would sleepwalk through the first two thirds of the game constantly under Dean.

Couldn't disagree more.

#28 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

I can't tell you how many times Marshall is put on the bench after an arrogant pass... When a player makes a dumb mistake, it's not uncommon to see him benched a few possessions.

#29 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

OP, still standing behind your original post

#30 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

blaming Roy is dumb

Why don't we watch the games for a change and let them show us what they are going to do instead of applying our infinite knowledge of the game and our savant-like perceptions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com