• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#136 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

First of all he did have a full camp and preseason but it was with Dallas. While that didn't help him with the playbook it did help him reading defenses and getting reps. He was able to sit and learn the playbook for most of the year until he was called into duty. In 2007 he only started 3 games but was activated for 9 games. With the shuffling around he got reps through out the year although not many with the 1s until close to when he started. Year 2 was a bust but he did get experience in camp and had a full offseason. He also got to sit in the meetings, work on the offense and do what many quarterbacks say is important which is take mental reps. Year three he played in 7 games and started 5. He wasn't third on the chart for most of the season,. He was the acknowledged number 2 for most of that time and got plenty of reps. Obviously in year 4 he was the starter until he lost the job and got most of the reps early. Moore had every chance from late in 2009 on to develop and perform. I don't buy that Fox didn't want him to succeed but obviously had some concerns based on his lack of preparation, laissez faire attitude and unwillingness to be the first in and last out every day. Truth is Moore sabotaged his own success. I suspect the lessons learned in Carolina were part of the reason he did better in Miami. I really didn't follow him but suspect he was a harder worker this year versus the past.

I believe if Moore had come in and displayed the work ethic and leadership of Newton right out of the chute, it wouldn't have taken so long to start. I suspect when Jake first struggled in 2009 he would have gone to Moore. But as he said, there was little in his demeanor, practice behavior and locker room presence to suggest he would come and be successful. Moore was his own worse enemy at times.

So to the point, was his five years worth more than a rookie season? Anyone who has watched football even casually would know the answer to that.

Once you start agreeing with Fox on personell decisions, especially QB decisions, you know you're on the losing end of an argument.

I agree 5 isn't a starting rookie, but it's closer than you think. Nothing substitutes for game experience and Cam got a lot of it.

As to Moore's work ethic and leadership, lol. Everywhere he's ever gone he's been a leader and a hard worker, then all of the sudden he gets to the NFL and he's not, then he leaves Carolina and he is again?

You think maybe, just maybe, Foxy was trying to cover his ass for not playing Moore earlier, considering how productive he was in 2009? It took a broken finger from Jake to play him and Moore spited Fox and dominated the league for those 5 games, putting his name up there with Manning and Rivers. Naw, that can't be it, Moore was just lazy in Carolina when he'd never shown that anywhere, not @ UCLA, Oregon State, Dallas or Miami.

Carolina made him lazy.

#137 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Cam Newton>>>>>>Matt Moore. I'm sure any player, coach, will tell you that.

Players and coaches told me Rivers was a pro bowler this year...

#138 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. You can't be saying that, youre probably just mad about something that happened four months ago that no one else cares about.

<insert cam why you mad pic>

<insert why you mad brah gif>

Posted Image

#139 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

P55, I also think the attention Cam Newton received, all the resources dedicated to making him successful compared to a 3rd stringer is also great for making up the time difference in the NFL. Moore was in fact 3rd string his 3rd year but McCown went on IR game 1, opening the door for Moore to start the last 5.

How much attention do you think 3rd stringers get compared to the franchise?

#140 pdandy1994

pdandy1994

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

definitely won't lie, I hated Cam last year at Auburn, and thought that he would be a total bum of a QB in the NFL. But after the Panthers drafted him and I saw some of the things he was doing, I warmed up a little. Love the guy now

#141 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Once you start agreeing with Fox on personell decisions, especially QB decisions, you know you're on the losing end of an argument.

I agree 5 isn't a starting rookie, but it's closer than you think. Nothing substitutes for game experience and Cam got a lot of it.

As to Moore's work ethic and leadership, lol. Everywhere he's ever gone he's been a leader and a hard worker, then all of the sudden he gets to the NFL and he's not, then he leaves Carolina and he is again?

You think maybe, just maybe, Foxy was trying to cover his ass for not playing Moore earlier, considering how productive he was in 2009? It took a broken finger from Jake to play him and Moore spited Fox and dominated the league for those 5 games, putting his name up there with Manning and Rivers. Naw, that can't be it, Moore was just lazy in Carolina when he'd never shown that anywhere, not @ UCLA, Oregon State, Dallas or Miami.

Carolina made him lazy.

There are a ton of quarterbacks who would tell you that sitting and learning are invaluable to being successful when you actually play. Before Peyton Manning, it was almost unheard of for Qbs to come in and start unless injuries forced the issue or the team was so awful that it really didn't matter.

Jake was the perfect example of a guy who used those formative years to develop so that when he started he could do so at a high level. Obviously Romo, Rodgers and others would also fit the mold.

Since you are a Moore homer it will be ridiculous to argue the whole work ethic issue but anyone who knows the situation also knows that is was common knowledge in the locker room that Moore was too laid back and not a hard worker at all. I believe that Moore was partially to blame for his problems. I think one of the beat writers wrote an article about it. Should Fox have given him a try earlier? Yeah I think he should have. But Moore could have done more to help his case.

And as you have said forever, what you did in college has no bearing on the NFl so why bring it up. You can be laid back in college and get away with it but in the NFl it is totally different. Ask Jamarcus Russell about that one. Was he considered lazy in college? No.

As for Dallas, he was put on the practice squad so maybe they did have an issue with him. And Miami took a flier on him for cheap. Maybe they figured he had learned his lesson.

Edited by panthers55, 20 January 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#142 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

P55, I also think the attention Cam Newton received, all the resources dedicated to making him successful compared to a 3rd stringer is also great for making up the time difference in the NFL. Moore was in fact 3rd string his 3rd year but McCown went on IR game 1, opening the door for Moore to start the last 5.

How much attention do you think 3rd stringers get compared to the franchise?

I would agree with you on everything but that Moore was third string most of 2009. As you said McCown was on IR game 1 making Moore the number 2 most all the year until he was the number 1 for the last 6 weeks of the season. If you remember he even got playing time the first game although it was in junk time.

But yeah Newton got more attention and he received more resources. Then again it was clear from the beginning that he was our franchise guy and showed a great work ethic from the beginning. There were reasons newton was drafted number 1 and Moore wasn't even drafted. I am glad Moore is starting and doing well. I wanted him to do well in 2009 and 2010.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com