Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

http://philly.sbnati...raft-cam-newton

#17 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Nolan Nawrocki. He did a piece recently on Cam and the entire video interview centered on vague "pre-draft criticism" but never mentioned he was by far the most egregious offender, than repeatedly said Cam needed to work on learning his playbook, and grimaced with every faint word of praise he gave him.

Thankfully, he will always be known as the douche who basically ruined his scouting credentials by trashing Cam Newton. How does that smile look now, Nolan Nitwit?

What do you expect from a guy who was to lazy to actually go out and do his work on a kid. And when called out by Moon, claimed he said the same thing about Jimmy Clausen as a way to cover his lazy behind. Yeah, cut and paste work being passed off as serious analysis.

#18 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

If Cam has a Josh Freeman like regression next year, will you guys all man up and admit you guys were wrong and write letters to yourself demanding you apologize and write letters apologizing to the original authors?

My point, and the point I've had all along, is let's wait 3 years before claiming victory one way or another. He looks great now, but the NFL is a bitch.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

What do you expect from a guy who was to lazy to actually go out and do his work on a kid. And when called out by Moon, claimed he said the same thing about Jimmy Clausen as a way to cover his lazy behind. Yeah, cut and paste work being passed off as serious analysis.

He did say the same things about Jimmy Clausen. I know because I actually read the profiles.

Funny that the other QB, Bliane Gabbert, who always linked with Cam and was highly praised by folks like this sportswriter is going to be given EVERY chance to succeed before he's called a bust. :rolleyes:

You might want to consider posting something with an actual basis in reality at some point rather than the constant "everybody hates Cam, everybody loves Blaine" schtick. It's old, and frankly has pretty much no basis in fact :nonod:

"Highly praised by folks like this sportswriter" eh? Do you have the first clue what this guy thought about Blaine Gabbert? Here's a tip. The linked article makes no mention of him at all.

It does talk about The Golden Calf of Bristol, Greg McElroy, Ryan Leaf, Donovan McNabb, JaMarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez and Daunte Culpepper (a lot) but no Gabbert. I did a quick search on this author to see if I could find something he wrote about Gabbert. Found nada.

Reality: There were draftniks who loved Cam, hated Blaine; loved Blaine, hated Cam; loved both; hated both. This silliness that everyone loved Gabbert and hated Newton is just goofy and sounds like a persecution complex.

Rather than living on that, try this instead:

We won more games than people thought we would last year. We have plenty of hope for the future. People (mostly opposing fans) still doubt Newton? Who cares? His teammates don't. Pretty much none of us do. We've got no reason to be anything but optimistic for our future.

That's where I'm at right now. If you wanna keep wallowing in "someone said something mean about Cam", feel free. But I'll guarantee this: Those of us who are looking at future hopes rather than obsessing over past wrongs are having a lot more fun than you are :sosp:

#20 ACobra289

ACobra289

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

I didn't have anything against Cam specifically, but I thought it was a bad year to take a QB because of the lockout. I thought the lack of minicamps and OTAs would severely hamper any rookie QB. I was obviously wrong. :o

#21 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Don't bother Mr. Scot, he's beyond crazy.

#22 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

If Cam has a Josh Freeman like regression next year, will you guys all man up and admit you guys were wrong and write letters to yourself demanding you apologize and write letters apologizing to the original authors?

My point, and the point I've had all along, is let's wait 3 years before claiming victory one way or another. He looks great now, but the NFL is a bitch.

Valid that the rookie year isn't the be-all/end-all of draft judgments.

That said, regression doesn't really worry me right now. Newton acclimated to the NFL way faster than anyone had a right to expect, and he's continuing to work in an atmosphere that has good veteran leadership. So regression doesn't seem like a logical concern.

The things that do worry me: injuries top the list, the possibility of having to serve under a new OC (again) is a biggy, opposing DCs coming up with an effective strategy against him is a moderate one, and off the field incidents are always a possibility though I'm about 98% sure that stuff is behind him (he's a pro now, and he seems to know how much is at stake).

No, he hasn't "arrived" yet (said as much earlier in the thread).

But I do believe he will. Maybe not this coming season, but by year three at the latest.

#23 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Don't bother Mr. Scot, he's beyond crazy.

Maybe. I don't know that he's "beyond crazy" yet though. If I thought that I wouldn't bother talking to him.

I think he's just one of those guys who holds on to past slights so tightly that it prevents him from enjoying present success. Most of us probably know somebody like that in real life. Truth be told, it's a pretty common thing among sports fans.

Toughest thing in the world to get 'em to let go, but sometimes it's worth a shot. Will it work? Don't know. Don't really care. Wrote it for the same reason I write anything on here: I felt like it.

#24 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, time will tell but you have to remember, the fans here are so emotionally invested in Cam they said he arrived week 1 and said he was top 5 QB in the NFL after week 3 or 4.

I just think it's funny.

(As I've said many times, I'm excited about the future but not as concrete in my beliefs as others, as I have a fully functioning brain)

#25 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Maybe. I don't know that he's "beyond crazy" yet though. If I thought that I wouldn't bother talking to him.

You should read some of his other posts. 98% are about the media slighting Cam/blacks in some way and giving Gabbert/The Golden Calf of Bristol/Dalton the benefit of the doubt.

He thinks this fanbase hates Cam for some reason.

He didn't know what JV football was.

He thought 12 guys played on offense and defense.

Shall I continue?

#26 err456

err456

err456

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

I kept pretty quite about Newton but did post this last Jan.

"I agree Newton must be able to pass first to make it in the big league but it sure would be exciting seeing the aints, birds, and bucs chasing after him with their tongues hanging out cursing every other breath."

It sure was exciting too!

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

You should read some of his other posts. 98% are about the media slighting Cam/blacks in some way and giving Gabbert/The Golden Calf of Bristol/Dalton the benefit of the doubt.

He thinks this fanbase hates Cam for some reason.

He didn't know what JV football was.

He thought 12 guys played on offense and defense.

Shall I continue?

Nah. No point.

Sports fans are, by nature, too quick to judge successes and failures. I'm probably guilty of it sometimes too but I try not to be. Also try to encourage others to be a little less quick on the draw and a tad less dogmatic and hold fewer grudges, though admittedly sometimes I wonder why I bother :lol:

Just my nature I guess.

Simple as it might be, sometimes the hardest thing to get sports fans to accept is that it really is just a game.

Edited by Mr Scot, 16 January 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#28 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

I kept pretty quite about Newton but did post this last Jan.

"I agree Newton must be able to pass first to make it in the big league but it sure would be exciting seeing the aints, birds, and bucs chasing after him with their tongues hanging out cursing every other breath."

It sure was exciting too!

Yeah it was :lol:

Should be next year too.

#29 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

i demand e-justice!

#30 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,060 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

The problem is that guys like Matt Ryan were declared the next big thing before he did anything to prove it. He had a decent rookie year and he was blown up by people in the media because he fit the mold of what they want a good QB to be.

Even after Cam's great rookie performance certain people like Narwocki want to put a slew of caveats by his achievements to diminish them instead of just saying "I screwed the pooch on this one."

Many of Cam's critics went from saying "He is going to struggle because the Panthers have no offensive weapons in the passing game and had no OTAs" to now trying to backtrack but save face by saying "Well Chudzinski is just a genius who made Derek Anderson a Pro Bowler" or "Their coaching staff really used Cam well" or "Wow he has sooooo many weapons no wonder he played well!!" Sometimes QBs can make offensive coordinators and teammates look like geniuses and pro-bowlers.

Anything to try and prevent themselves from giving the praise to Cam Newton who took the worst offense in the NFL and made them a top 5 offense (along with the help of a competent OC).

I don't remember the same caveats for Ryan, Bradford, Big Ben, or Manning in their rookie campaigns.

Edited by teeray, 16 January 2012 - 01:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.