#1 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Drew Brees is a free agent but he's fully expected to resign or be franchise tagged. His contract will eat up the vast majority of their cap space, though.

They have roughly $25M in cap space and Brees' deal will take up 18-20M of that, maybe more. After accounting for their draft picks, bare minimum guys to fill out their roster and leaving a bit of wiggle room they'll only have enough to sign one, MAYBE two of their key players.

Here's a list of their key free agents:

Offense
Marques Colston, WR
Robert Meachem, WR
Carl Nicks, OG

Defense
Aubrayo Franklin, DT
Shaun Rogers, DT
Jo-Lonn Dunbar, OLB
Tracy Porter, DB

If they resign either Nicks or Colston then along with Brees that'll be it for them. Wave goodbye to the rest of those guys on that list. At best they can retain maybe 3-4 of the low-end starters if they let both Colston and Nicks walk.

And don't forget, they're also without a 1st round pick. Should be interesting to see the totally "revamped" New Orleans team in 2012.

#2 Cold Cat

Cold Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

I bet Bree's would take a discount.

#3 LongTriad

LongTriad

Missunderstood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

I am thinking the thing that dissapointed the Saints most about losing the playoff game was that they know they will not win the South next season.

#4 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

It won't be long until the Aints are back in the NFL cellar....just like they were for 40+ years before Brees came along. :D

#5 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I don't see Colston re-signing; if Scarface is good as he thinks then he can do what Manning does and make UDFA's look like Pro bowlers.

#6 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,783 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

IMO we compete with the saints for the division next year. They will be vulnerable and the falcons and bucks look to be in decline.

I also would love to get nicks or either of their DTs.

#7 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

At his age, I sure wouldn't.

#8 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oh, and in addition to their FA losses, they (along with the Falcons) are replacing their DC.

The Falcons are also replaced their OC.

And the Bucs are replacing their entire coaching staff.

If Chud ends up staying, the most stability in the NFCS will be in Charlotte.

#9 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

As of now it's expected that he'll get the franchise tag, which will be right around what I said (18-20M).

#10 Cold Cat

Cold Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

At his age, I sure wouldn't.

I see him doing it for the reason that he'd like to make another run for the SB. I don't think Bree's is worried about the money.

I believe that he could get the tag as well Rock but I just think if he signs a new deal it'll have a discount on it.

Edited by Cold Cat, 16 January 2012 - 06:22 PM.
Added a reply to another poster.

#11 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

He was a 2nd round pick and didn't receive much attention when he first hit free agency due to his injury at the time. This is his best chance for a huge payday. If he takes a discount I wouldn't expect it to be much of one.

He's already making around $10M a year now. I would think at the very best they'd resign him at 14-16 per year but even so that wouldn't change the situation they're in all that much.

#12 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

He won't take a discount. He and the team will say he did, just for image, but Drew wants his, don't doubt that for a minute.

Remember the labor negotiations? Do you really think the guy that fought so hard then is going to take one on the chin now?

#13 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Sucks to be in that position. I actually feel bad for the fanbase... they are staring down a gloomy off-season and I fully understand what that feels like.

#14 ACobra289

ACobra289

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

It's possible some of their guys could rework their contracts to free up some cap space. Still wouldn't be enough to resign everyone though.

#15 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless Riverboat Ron

• HUDDLER
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

At 33 years old, I could see Brees getting ticked off at having the franchise tag hung on him....if he takes a serious injury hit he could be looking at a big financial loss moving forward....overall, if the Saints are committed to keeping him for the final big contract of his career, they really need to get that deal out of the way. The franchise hit at QB would be the largest amount, dollar wise, of any position on the field.

This is a prime example of why cap space is a fluid variable. We might look like we don't have much to work with, but we aren't looking at losing major pieces of our team while the Saints appear to suddenly be staring down the barrel of some tough choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.