Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop Online Piracy Act

82 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Explain it to me: SOPA

So I have seen commercials pop up from time to time in support of this, and I just watched the linked video. How do you guys feel about this law? I still don't fully understand what it intends to do. It basically cuts off sites that have unauthorized copyrighted content on it? Both financially and from search engines? Is that right?

Edit: Sorry didn't see there was a debate thread on it at the bottom of the page.

Posted · Report post

It basically allows the government to shut down sites suspected of online piracy without due process.

Site's like YouTube and Facebook could theoretically be shut down because they allow users to upload content that may be copyrighted, even though the sites themselves are not responsible for it.

Posted · Report post

It basically allows the government to shut down sites suspected of online piracy without due process.

Site's like YouTube and Facebook could theoretically be shut down because they allow users to upload content that may be copyrighted, even though the sites themselves are not responsible for it.

That is ridiculous to me. So can the government go after a gun store because the person that bought a gun there committed a crime with it?

Posted · Report post

Its the government doing stupid poo is their specialty.

Posted · Report post

who comes up with these laws to begin with?

Posted · Report post

who comes up with these laws to begin with?

In this case, it was pushed by Hollywood organizations.

Posted · Report post

major websites like google, wikipedia, and reddit are all having campaigns today

wiki and reddit are going dark for at least 12 hours

every neckbeard basement dweller is praying that SOPA doesn't pass for fear of a lesser selection of pron

Posted · Report post

major websites like google, wikipedia, and reddit are all having campaigns today

wiki and reddit are going dark for at least 12 hours

every neckbeard basement dweller is praying that SOPA doesn't pass for fear of a lesser selection of pron

I noticed google has a big black square covering the homepage. That'll attract a ton of audience there.

Posted · Report post

Holy smokes Wikipedia is blacked out for 24 hours. College students everywhere sent scrambling for ways to write a term paper. High school students scrambling for book report material. Epic.

Posted · Report post

Thank God I did my homework last night