#1 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Explain it to me: SOPA

So I have seen commercials pop up from time to time in support of this, and I just watched the linked video. How do you guys feel about this law? I still don't fully understand what it intends to do. It basically cuts off sites that have unauthorized copyrighted content on it? Both financially and from search engines? Is that right?

Edit: Sorry didn't see there was a debate thread on it at the bottom of the page.

Edited by Montsta, 18 January 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#2 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

It basically allows the government to shut down sites suspected of online piracy without due process.

Site's like YouTube and Facebook could theoretically be shut down because they allow users to upload content that may be copyrighted, even though the sites themselves are not responsible for it.

#3 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

It basically allows the government to shut down sites suspected of online piracy without due process.

Site's like YouTube and Facebook could theoretically be shut down because they allow users to upload content that may be copyrighted, even though the sites themselves are not responsible for it.

That is ridiculous to me. So can the government go after a gun store because the person that bought a gun there committed a crime with it?

#4 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,053 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Its the government doing stupid poo is their specialty.

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,790 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1213062.html

Rubio is off the train!

#6 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

who comes up with these laws to begin with?

#7 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

In this case, it was pushed by Hollywood organizations.

#8 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

major websites like google, wikipedia, and reddit are all having campaigns today

wiki and reddit are going dark for at least 12 hours

every neckbeard basement dweller is praying that SOPA doesn't pass for fear of a lesser selection of pron

#9 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

major websites like google, wikipedia, and reddit are all having campaigns today

wiki and reddit are going dark for at least 12 hours

every neckbeard basement dweller is praying that SOPA doesn't pass for fear of a lesser selection of pron

I noticed google has a big black square covering the homepage. That'll attract a ton of audience there.

#10 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Holy smokes Wikipedia is blacked out for 24 hours. College students everywhere sent scrambling for ways to write a term paper. High school students scrambling for book report material. Epic.

#11 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,769 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thank God I did my homework last night

#12 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,790 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52729

#13 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

The text of the bill H.R.3261.IH does say that to block access to a site requires a court order.

(3) NOTICE- Upon commencing an action under this subsection, the Attorney General shall send a notice of the alleged violation and intent to proceed under this section--

(A) to the registrant of the domain name of the Internet site--

(i) at the postal and electronic mail addresses appearing in the applicable publicly accessible database of registrations, if any, and to the extent such addresses are reasonably available; and

(ii) via the postal and electronic mail addresses of the registrar, registry, or other domain name registration authority that registered or assigned the domain name of the Internet site, to the extent such addresses are reasonably available; or

(B) to the owner or operator of the Internet site--

(i) at the primary postal and electronic mail addresses for such owner or operator that is provided on the Internet site, if any, and to the extent such addresses are reasonably available; or

(ii) if there is no domain name of the Internet site, via the postal and electronic mail addresses of the Internet Protocol allocation entity appearing in the applicable publicly accessible database of allocations and assignments, if any, and to the extent such addresses are reasonably available; or

© in any other such form as the court may provide, including as may be required by rule 4(f) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

© Actions Based on Court Orders-

(1) SERVICE- A process server on behalf of the Attorney General, with prior approval of the court, may serve a copy of a court order issued pursuant to this section on similarly situated entities within each class described in paragraph (2). Proof of service shall be filed with the court.

The Attorney general will be following what he and congress believe is due process of law. There is a requirement that the offending site be notified of a court order, and have a chance to respond. Same to the ISP if the site is outside the United States. So in reality, they can't just go out and shut down any site they want to. The courts will have to approve.

The Supreme Court will likely have to eventually decide if the law is constitutional, assuming it passes. But it might not pass.

Fwiw, I think that the legislation will eventually die, or be rewritten in a more narrow manner.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 18 January 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#14 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

The entertainment industry. Because they are supposedly losing tons of money from online piracy.

#15 fitty76

fitty76

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

BTW Congressman Mel Watt is pushing SOPA hard. So if you live in his district, give his office a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.