• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

If it is something good (movie, cd, w/e) I still buy the real thing when it comes available to the public in a tangible form...

As an honest consumer, however, one has no control on release dates or any other factor that leads to them downloading something "illegally"...

I think a lot of people downloaded Game of Thrones (second or third most pirated show this past year) and are still going to go out and buy it... Maybe they don't like their cable company and want to avoid paying $15 a month for something that they can get for free now and $50 when it comes out on DVD...

You might, but most don't. They keep the free copy, and never buy one. The artist/game designer/software engineer has a right to profit from his or her work, in whatever legal manner he or she wants to. Downloading copies without their permission is stealing no matter how one looks at it, just the same as if you walked into a store and swiped it.

#32 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,103 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

You are a gd slave I see. I bet you love sopa and ndaa. You like the gov all in your life. Be a gd zombie and go right along with the plan. Lol, I can make copies dummie. It says that on the paperwork with the disk. As long as I dont sell them. We got john beans rambo that just loves his freedom taken. Why do you think ppl and web sites are boycotting? Lol, whats is a waste is your life. Lol.

Exactly what we needed....Another fuging idiot joining this board.

#33 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

You might, but most don't. They keep the free copy, and never buy one. The artist/game designer/software engineer has a right to profit from his or her work, in whatever legal manner he or she wants to. Downloading copies without their permission is stealing no matter how one looks at it, just the same as if you walked into a store and swiped it.

Exactly.

Theft is theft.....no matter if you steal from a store, or steal on the internet.

#34 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,015 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Exactly.

Theft is theft.....no matter if you steal from a store, or steal on the internet.

Though I dont agree, I see your point, but it only makes sense if you download said product.

I dont download anything, I stream my television and movies. If you go to your friends house, and he is watching Game of Thrones, and you sit on the couch and watch it too, is that 'stealing'?

#35 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

There's an argument to be made that piracy hurts the artist/developer/whatever but there's an equal argument that it can help in the long run. Gabe Newell, a game developer, has done lots of research in game piracy and has come to the conclusion that the main problem is in distributors not listening to their customers and overpricing games. He's made a poo ton of money selling games through steam at discounted prices and he's one of the few that's trying to adjust the industry to reality instead of milking customers as much as possible.

There's a growing trend of people respecting artists and the people that create the content being pirated. There's a solution out there but it's never going to be realized if fat cats keep trying to shove laws down the publics' throat.

#36 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Exactly.

Piracy is not theft, it's piracy. Copyright infringement is not theft, it's copyright infringement. It is much more complex than stealing an apple from the fruit stand.

#37 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

it's not really a terrible idea that you'd want your product to be protected from piracy, but it's a very lazy and unconstitutional approach they're taking

the video game industry does a very good job of preventing game piracy, and they do it without government intervention.

#38 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Piracy is not theft, it's piracy. Copyright infringement is not theft, it's copyright infringement. It is much more complex than stealing an apple from the fruit stand.

Actually, piracy is theft committed at sea. :)

#39 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Anonymous decided to protest in it's own way I see

BTW, I think this is more so about the money that they're not getting than actual profits hurting. Anyone got some numbers as to how much the entertainment industry is making and how that's changed since 2000 or so? I'm willing to bet they're making record profits, but they just want more..

For the record, I get the protecting intellectual property and making a profit off your own money part, but we all know it's really about money

#40 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

http://latimesblogs....cy-by-feds.html

#41 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

stupid of anon... feds were probably baiting them, hoping to inspire a response and solidify the argument for more control amongst the uninformed.

#42 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,015 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well, the largest provider of television and movie streams and downloads, megaupload/megavideo just went down yesterday.

I guess they dont need to pass their law now. Just going to arrest everyone.

I dont know how they arrested someone in New Zealand on an American idictment... Poo is already hitting the fan.

Actually, now that I think about it, if they are going to stop it, I would rather they just make arrests, instead of passing that stupid bill, and censoring our internet. Next thing you know, it will be like N. Korea over here...

Edited by chris999, 20 January 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#43 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

You are COMPLETELY incorrect.

Both Piracy and Copyright Infringement is the taking or using something that you nave NO right to have or use. You are required to pay for your consumption of the product....no matter if it is downloading/streaming copyrighted material or stealing an apple from the fruit stand.

Try and spin it any way you want....it is still theft.

Like I said...the intent of the law is valid. The way it is written and will be executed is wrought with abuse and problems.

#44 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,015 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

You are COMPLETELY incorrect.

Both Piracy and Copyright Infringement is the taking or using something that you nave NO right to have or use. You are required to pay for your consumption of the product....no matter if it is downloading/streaming copyrighted material or stealing an apple from the fruit stand.

Try and spin it any way you want....it is still theft.

Like I said...the intent of the law is valid. The way it is written and will be executed is wrought with abuse and problems.

Streaming a movie is not stealing. If you come over to my house, and I am watching a movie, you have every right to sit on the couch and watch it with me. Did you pay someone to watch that movie at my house? No.

How is it any different? I am not downloading a copy for myself.

#45 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,103 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Streaming a movie is not stealing. If you come over to my house, and I am watching a movie, you have every right to sit on the couch and watch it with me. Did you pay someone to watch that movie at my house? No.

How is it any different? I am not downloading a copy for myself.

A person renting or buying the movie and having some friends watch it is a far cry from someone putting a copy on the internet and millions of people gaining access to it for free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.