• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Trust me, those hollywood execs aren't stupid. They are trying everything they can to keep their existing revenue streams going. Hulu proves that streaming can be done but it's very complex. It's easy for us to say 'just put everything online' but that involves millions, if not billions, of investment money to make that happen. Streaming video online is very, very, very expensive.

Depends how you define expensive. Netflix's CEO said it costs about five cents worth of bandwidth to stream a movie.

If the streaming side of it were expensive, sites like Megaupload never would have existed in the first place. They were primarily supported by ad revenue, which is about $3 for every 1000 views, or 3 cents per viewer.

#17 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

I don't think bandwidth is the primary expense...

hell, if it costs 5 cents to stream and you're only making 3 cents per view... well....

megaupload doesn't have any overhead because THEY AREN'T PAYING FOR ANYTHING.

movies are very expensive to make AND an extremely risky venture... for people to risk their money in such an extreme way the possible payoff has to be significant... 3cents a view simply isn't going to cut it... people will simply stop making movies.

Edited by mmmbeans, 20 January 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#18 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Depends how you define expensive. Netflix's CEO said it costs about five cents worth of bandwidth to stream a movie.

If the streaming side of it were expensive, sites like Megaupload never would have existed in the first place. They were primarily supported by ad revenue, which is about $3 for every 1000 views, or 3 cents per viewer.

Bandwidth is only a fraction of the cost. Trust me, it's expensive.

#19 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I don't think bandwidth is the primary expense...

hell, if it costs 5 cents to stream and you're only making 3 cents per view... well....

megaupload doesn't have any overhead because THEY AREN'T PAYING FOR ANYTHING.

movies are very expensive to make AND an extremely risky venture... for people to risk their money in such an extreme way the possible payoff has to be significant... 3cents a view simply isn't going to cut it... people will simply stop making movies.

Right, but if networks and movie studios stream their own content, they can sign legitimate advertising instead of relying on Google's Adsense platform to generate ad revenue. They would be able to generate significantly more than .03 per visitor with real advertising contracts.

The music industry has figured it out with iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, and the like, it's time for the movie industry to figure it out...or they can just keep getting their poo stolen and lose millions of dollars because they're not going to be able to stop it.

They could address the issues of people not buying their movies by requiring you to sign up for an account before streaming any of their content and allow you to stream it only once (in its entirety). This would force people that really like their movies to buy them instead of streaming them over and over.

The Hulu and Crackle model works.

#20 beach

beach

|~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Copyright infringement and piracy is illegal in New Zealand and Hong Kong....as well as the US.

Amusing how pissed off people here are getting because individuals breaking the law and actually caught and punished. You are just pissed because you liked getting poo for free that you are legally required to pay for......it is nothing more than that.

If they want to crack down, crack down.

Don't take down the people who create the field; attack the ones who aren't using it properly. I have no problem in them going after the uploaders but it makes no sense to target the websites (which are completely legal) and the streamers.

#21 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

These people can and will make their content available online. It's inevitable. But that does not mean they aren't going to do absolutely everything possible to keep their existing revenue streams intact.

edit: Not to mention it's a gigantic shakeup in how the entire industry works. Lots of jobs will be lost, lots of jobs will be created. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it will be met with tons of resistance.

Edited by natty, 20 January 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#22 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,957 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

If they want to crack down, crack down.

Don't take down the people who create the field; attack the ones who aren't using it properly. I have no problem in them going after the uploaders but it makes no sense to target the websites (which are completely legal) and the streamers.

I understand what you are saying.

But, it is virtually impossible to go after everyone that is uploading copyrighted material.....way too many people. An easier tactic is to go after the sites that openly allow people to utilize their sites in this manner. Force them to police themselves or face being shut down.

That is the intent of the law.

Like I said, I think the law is wrought with potential abuse and issues....but the intent is valid and correct.

#23 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

I understand the concern of the RIAA and MPAA, but the way they're going about resolving it is completely delusional. The fact that they think new legislation will save them is a testament to that fact. Neither they nor the government will ever outwit piraters or prevent piracy through laws or technological interference. The only realistic chance Hollywood, the record industry and the studio networks have at this point since they're already years behind the curve is to make their content readily available through intuitive, easy-to-use platforms on the Web at aggresively low rates and then sell ad space. Go look at iTunes if you need an example.

But this idea the government regulation will stop any of what's going on is laughable. It's literally as simple as changing a DNS setting for piraters, and there is no shortage of those available.

#24 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,957 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

These people can and will make their content available online. It's inevitable. But that does not mean they aren't going to do absolutely everything possible to keep their existing revenue streams intact.

edit: Not to mention it's a gigantic shakeup in how the entire industry works. Lots of jobs will be lost, lots of jobs will be created. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it will be met with tons of resistance.

You are trying to make the issue be about content being on-line. However, your real issue is having to pay for it.

You can purchase and stream music, movies, etc. on-line legally NOW....you just have to pay.

The issue everyone on here has is that they want movies, shows, music etc.. without paying for it. This will NEVER be part of the industry's business model. They are providing a service and a deliverable.....people should expect to pay for what they get. Nothing in life is free.

#25 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

You are trying to make the issue be about content being on-line. However, your real issue is having to pay for it.

You can purchase and stream music, movies, etc. on-line legally NOW....you just have to pay.

The issue everyone on here has is that they want movies, shows, music etc.. without paying for it. This will NEVER be part of the industry's business model. They are providing a service and a deliverable.....people should expect to pay for what they get. Nothing in life is free.

Why do you continually insist that anyone who has an opinion on the matter is simply trying to get free stuff? You're completely ignoring any point brought up and say 'nuh uh you just want free stuff'. Are you going to add to the discussion or simply point the finger at people?

#26 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Teh Paradox is the best and only stop for me. I just hope they never find out who Cardman is :)

#27 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Copyright infringement and piracy is illegal in New Zealand and Hong Kong....as well as the US.

Amusing how pissed off people here are getting because individuals breaking the law and actually caught and punished. You are just pissed because you liked getting poo for free that you are legally required to pay for......it is nothing more than that.

Megaupload DELETED any reported copyright infringement. Every single file-hosting site has problems with users uploading copyrighted material. This is horseshit. Not surprised that a big gov lib like yourself is okay with this though.

#28 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,957 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hey MadHatter let me dump off all my bootleg DVDs at your house and call the cops and say you're selling them at 5 bucks a pop so you can get arrested and see how you feel about that. Because that's the literal, PHYSICAL manifestation of what happened to megaupload.

#29 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Megaupload was starting to suck. They were removing links so I'm kind of surprised they went after them.

#30 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,343 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Does rapidshare still work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.