43 replies to this topic

#16 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,956 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

what about with prebates for lower income?

or downright exemption. Wouldn't be hard.

#17 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Ahhhh the prebates.

Let's do away with those archaic impossible to understand tax laws so we can replace them with archaic impossible to understand prebate laws.

#18 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

hell, prebate for everyone actually.

#19 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

what about with prebates for lower income?

ive seen a couple of those that offer tax breaks per child, but would that simply do the same thing those on the right claim welfare checks do? encourage the poor to get pregnant?

also ive heard mentioned that certain "life necessities" would go untaxed but of course have never heard what those are and judging from the history of the wealthy in the united states it wouldn't be long until yachts and golf clubs and stag parties in the dominican rested on the same level as cucumbers.

Ahhhh the prebates.

Let's do away with those archaic impossible to understand tax laws so we can replace them with archaic impossible to understand prebate laws.

also this

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,024 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

...judging from the history of the wealthy in the united states it wouldn't be long until yachts and golf clubs and stag parties in the dominican rested on the same level as cucumbers.

I don't know about yachts and stag parties but golf clubs are DEFINITELY a "life necessity." So we should all get prebates on them.

#21 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

I don't know about yachts and stag parties but golf clubs are DEFINITELY a "life necessity." So we should all get prebates on them.

actually let me take that a step further.

it wouldn't be long at all until a yacht construction firm funded "public health research institute" released the abstract of what we'd be assured was a well researched, honest, fair, and scientific evaluation deciding once and for all that milk was not a necessity, but a luxury, and it shouldn't be excluded. furthermore, milk in the poorer neighborhoods, due to how much better it typically is than the food the citizens are most likely to get, is actually a luxury, and if you subsist on mostly tuna and dirty city water, you should be more than willing to pay a little extra for that milk.

at the same time, after receiving funding from the same yacht construction firm, cato or the heritage foundation would release a "ground breaking" analysis that talks about all the economic good done by the construction of yacts, how they employ tons of people (only ammrrrrcans), how the therapeutic affects of son bathing in the Mediterranean can lead to longer life, and how since they are quite obviously a necessity they shouldn't be taxed at all.

#22 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

I understand it benefits the rich more than the poor, but there are other ways to ensure poor people have a fair shot. Taxes aren't the only way.

No matter what the rich will ALWAYS have an advantage and there's nothing the gov can(or arguably should) do about it. Any tax system will benefit those that have the resources and knowledge to work it. So I don't really buy that argument. Sure, it's a concern but not a deal breaker imo.

#23 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,988 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

but there are other ways to ensure poor people have a fair shot.

okay walk me through the process

#24 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

also ive heard mentioned that certain "life necessities" would go untaxed but of course have never heard what those are and judging from the history of the wealthy in the united states it wouldn't be long until yachts and golf clubs and stag parties in the dominican rested on the same level as cucumbers.

I've been in line at the store quite a few times behind people who were paying with food stamps and I always marveled at what things they considered 'necessities' when they were spending OPM. Like steaks for example.

#25 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,135 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

Worse than that were people buying baby food with food stamps, then paying cash for cartons of cigarettes.

#26 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

okay walk me through the process

non-profits and welfare for starters

My point is that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion. My opinion is free to change if convinced otherwise.

Edited by natty, 15 April 2009 - 01:05 PM.
response to fiz

#27 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,135 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

They could, but the chaos of implementation and the political compromises needed to change the system would probably trump the somewhat minor advantages.

We could simplify the tax codes we have now quite a bit, but that's not the desire of the people really pushing this stuff. Pure and simple, it's designed to make the haves pay less and the have nots pay more - it's not anti IRS, it's anti "socalism" - in and of itself not a bad thing to be for it that's your position on things, but hiding behind the word "fair" is not cool.

#28 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

They could, but the chaos of implementation and the political compromises needed to change the system would probably trump the somewhat minor advantages.

We could simplify the tax codes we have now quite a bit, but that's not the desire of the people really pushing this stuff. Pure and simple, it's designed to make the haves pay less and the have nots pay more - it's not anti IRS, it's anti "socalism" - in and of itself not a bad thing to be for it that's your position on things, but hiding behind the word "fair" is not cool.

A flat tax is as fair as you can get.

#29 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

I want Obama...and his Obamabot minions here to explain to me how someone "earns" a tax cut when they don't pay taxes?

#30 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Worse than that were people buying baby food with food stamps, then paying cash for cartons of cigarettes.

No doubt. One of the winners I saw had all this baby formula (among ridiculously expensive things I have never bought like organic tomatoes) then used a separate transaction to buy their cigs and beer. Shouldn't luxuries like those go bye bye when you have a baby to feed & clothe? Apparently not, because you don't have to pay for the formula yourself. And those types would probably ignore the kid's need's for their own anyway, which is the saddest part.
Once I was behind a couple of middle aged ladies with food stamps and I actually walked into the parking lot behind them because I was curious to see what they were driving. It was a late model Caddy. I had nothing in common with them. I was making 15 k/yr, had an old used car and paid my own rent at my apt. Oh, and I didn't buy any steaks either. Just because someone is considered "poor" doesn't mean they deserve breaks. If you take into account that I paid my own way for everything and made 15k, I was likely more poor than they were.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com