Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stirs

Joe Paterno has died...

325 posts in this topic

Message from Onward State Reply

A letter from the Managing Editor of Onward State:

Earlier this evening, Onward State reported that Joe Paterno had passed away. However, the mountain of evidence stacked opposite that report is too much to ignore. At this time, I would like to issue a retraction of our earlier tweets.

I never, in a million years, would have thought that Onward State would be cited by the national media, and today, I sincerely wish it never had been. To all those who read and passed along our reports, I sincerely apologize for misleading you. To the Penn State community and to the Paterno family most of all, I could not be more sorry for the emotional anguish I am sure we caused. There are no excuses for what we did. We all make mistakes, but it’s impossible to brush off one of this magnitude. Right now, we deserve all of the criticism headed our way.

In this day and age, getting it first often conflicts with getting it right, but our intention was never to fall into that chasm. All I can do now is promise that in the future, we will exercise caution, restraint, and humility.

I can only hope and pray that the outstanding work our writers and photographers do on a day-to-day basis is not overshadowed by the events of tonight. I understand that our reputation is in serious question, but I hope you will continue to stand by us as we do everything in our power to make amends.

To begin that process, I will be stepping down from my post as Managing Editor, effective immediately. I take full responsibility for the events that transpired tonight, and for the black mark upon the organization that I have caused.

I ask not for your forgiveness, but for your understanding. I am so very, very, sorry, and we at Onward State continue to pray for Coach Paterno.

Sincerely,

Devon Edwards

Posted on 1/21 10:38 PM | IP: Logged

At least he's taking some accountability for his actions...

This thread is the egg mcmuffin of threads

Sporting News and about a dozen others all came out with the news, but then retracted.

I suppose all these guys have their stories written and just hit the button when prompted by the story above.

Sporting News and about a dozen others all came out with the news, but then retracted.

I suppose all these guys have their stories written and just hit the button when prompted by the story above.

yep. sometimes they have a couple written to cover a couple different scenarios.

happens with sports and politics and pretty much any major news story.

if you can't get the story out quick you don't get paid.

Wow. Can you imagine what a nightmare it has been for the editor of the newspaper that broke the story only to find out he was wrong. Especially saying someone is dead prematurely. Sad for him, sad for the Paternos.

Growing up in Pennsylvania, Penn State and Joe Paterno were larger than life, the team everyone wanted to play for, the college everyone wanted to attend. The main campus the place to be. I don't blame him for not being aware of what was happening. People of his generation didn't want to know things like that happened. When confronted, he passed it along not wanted to get involved. Very old school. Should he gotten more involved, probably so. But he didn't. A sad day if he passes away for generations of Penn State fans and admirers.

dude is a grade A piece of poo, the only thing better than joe pa dying is joe pa dying after a long and painful battle with cancer

the world will be a better place without him

Seriously I know the guy isn't high on the respect list right now' date=' but a little bit of class and respect for his family would be appropriate in the situation....[/quote']

dude doesn't deserve an ounce of respect. he is scum. we should be celebrating in the streets when he goes.

dude is a grade A piece of poo, the only thing better than joe pa dying is joe pa dying after a long and painful battle with cancer

the world will be a better place without him

Idiot much?

Idiot much?

i would classify joe more as a stain on the human race than an idiot, but we all have our names for him

Wow. Can you imagine what a nightmare it has been for the editor of the newspaper that broke the story only to find out he was wrong. Especially saying someone is dead prematurely. Sad for him, sad for the Paternos.

Growing up in Pennsylvania, Penn State and Joe Paterno were larger than life, the team everyone wanted to play for, the college everyone wanted to attend. The main campus the place to be. I don't blame him for not being aware of what was happening. People of his generation didn't want to know things like that happened. When confronted, he passed it along not wanted to get involved. Very old school. Should he gotten more involved, probably so. But he didn't. A sad day if he passes away for generations of Penn State fans and admirers.

my grandparents lived in a little township called howard about 20miles from state college. i grew up going up there and his personality permeated everything.

i can't begin to say how disappointed i am in the way he handled that situation, esp. having the relationship i've had with lots of abused children over the years and knowing the hell they went through for too long usually because someone was too afraid to get involved.

but i also can't act as if he wasn't a positive part of very good memories growing up.

i feel for his families and those people up in that area during this time. it's got to be esp. hard for them in dealing with this mixture of emotions and feelings.

so sad that his legacy will forever be tarnished because of what he chose not to do and that some bastard got him unwilllingly involved in the middle of this nightmare of a situation. i just wish he would have chosen to help.

would he want someone to call 911 if he went into cardiac arrest?

or wait until the next day and tell the athletic director?