Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amtrak

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I have flown all my business life to various cities but NEVER on a train. I have some extra time before a conference and looked in to AMTRAK (Raleigh to Orlando). A bit over 12 hours one way. I think it may be neat to give this a try.

Anyone had much exp. with the rails? Any tips?

Posted

My cousin road a train back from Orlando to Raleigh because their car died and they were broke college douche bags. It took them almost 48 hours because the engine wasn't running correctly.

Just an FYI - If they changed the name to CAMtrak, I'd ride that beast for every sales trip.

Posted

Fun trip and you get to see a part of America that is a bygone era. even on the train there is a throwback feel.

Posted

Fun trip and you get to see a part of America that is a bygone era. even on the train there is a throwback feel.

Have you traveled on one?

Posted

My cousin road a train back from Orlando to Raleigh because their car died and they were broke college douche bags. It took them almost 48 hours because the engine wasn't running correctly.

Just an FYI - If they changed the name to CAMtrak, I'd ride that beast for every sales trip.

LOL...That would be like 10 miles an hour.

Posted

LOL...That would be like 10 miles an hour.

Seriously, that's what happened. The engine could only go 8-10 mph. Amtrak sent them free ticket vouchers and an apology. They never sent a new locomotive to replace the malfunctioning one.

Posted

Seriously, that's what happened. The engine could only go 8-10 mph. Amtrak sent them free ticket vouchers and an apology. They never sent a new locomotive to replace the malfunctioning one.

LMAO. You would think they would keep a spare.

Posted

Have you traveled on one?

yeah man. haha, im not just making junk up.

Posted

yeah man. haha, im not just making junk up.

LOL...Didn't think you were but just wanted to know how the trip was....was it comfy? Do they serve alcohol?

Posted

comfy yes. i actually think they do serve beer. nice umm, cross section of humanity on those.

Posted

LMAO. You would think they would keep a spare.

Well, most of the Amtrak stock is owned by the US Government and it's board members are appointed by the president of the United States, so inefficiency should not be suprising. :D

Posted

You will love it. It's the way flying was in the 60's. You have room to move around (even if the guy in front leans his seat back). The food is great and they have a lounge car. Good coffee, good drinks and not too expensive. I wish there were more convenient routes.