• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#196 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

aside from a couple people in here, i don't think anyone is saying that he looked anything but great in the practices and the game.

the issue isn't that. pretty much everyone figured that would be the case, just like he'll look phenomenal at the combine.

the issue is what does he do from week to week. how does he push himself during the season? to me, more specifically, why didn't we see this all year?

several will blame it on the coaching situation or whatever. my response to this is, does that mean he's someone that isn't going to give 100% when times are tough or when the season isn't going as well? is he someone that is going to kick it into high gear when the team needs someone to look to as an example or is he just going to throw his hands in the air and say, "ahhh...f*ck it. we're screwed anyway. it's not worth the effort."

You can said that about half the players in the draft. You just cant use that at as a valid reason not to draft players anymore. It all depends on what the front office thinks when they interview the players/talk with them whether to take them or not. At the end of the day being a great player rides on every player being drafted not the team that drafted them. Coples showed up at senior bowl practice and the game, he did what he was supposed to do on the wake of getting drafted to the NFL, if he hadnt did anything last week people would just be ragging on him even more basically tossing him in a lose-lose situation. Im sure he knows what people are saying about him and he is just trying to prove them wrong and show he can be great, cant knock him for that.

#197 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,672 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

aside from a couple people in here, i don't think anyone is saying that he looked anything but great in the practices and the game.

the issue isn't that. pretty much everyone figured that would be the case, just like he'll look phenomenal at the combine.

the issue is what does he do from week to week. how does he push himself during the season? to me, more specifically, why didn't we see this all year?

several will blame it on the coaching situation or whatever. my response to this is, does that mean he's someone that isn't going to give 100% when times are tough or when the season isn't going as well? is he someone that is going to kick it into high gear when the team needs someone to look to as an example or is he just going to throw his hands in the air and say, "ahhh...f*ck it. we're screwed anyway. it's not worth the effort."

when you're talking about drafting someone in the first round, esp. with a top 10 pick, these are the questions you ask.

his junior year it wasnt a question. i think more so the issue with him was all the things going on around at the school, than anything. in the Va Tech game when they were getting beat by 17 points or so he was still playing hard, ran down field to tackle Wilson on a pass for like a 8 yard gain. So you do know he can play through adversity at times.

if the coaching staff thinks they can get the most out of him, i have no problem with them taking him at the spot because the talent is there. plus people bring up the coaches thing, but his former head coach disputed the accusations so that should show you that you have to take some of the stuff you hear with a grain of salt.

#198 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,672 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

You've got to grade hard when it's the #8/9 pick.

Third and Fourth round is where you take fliers.

LMAO he is a flier?but the scouts and gm's will grade him as a top 15 player.

#199 CaliPanthers

CaliPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Butch Davis had only good things to say about him during the Senior Bowl practice. For what its worth.

#200 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,172 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

You can said that about half the players in the draft. You just cant use that at as a valid reason not to draft players anymore.

in the first round, esp. a top ten pick you better damn well be doing that. if you don't look at stuff like that you get the detroit lions for most of last decade and the bucs right now. you can't afford to build your team on anything less than players who have spectacular talent and drive.

Im sure he knows what people are saying about him and he is just trying to prove them wrong and show he can be great, cant knock him for that.

he should have been doing that all along.

it's damage control right now...or at the very least doing what he can to get people to ignore/overlook what he did(n't) do at UNC.

#201 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

LMAO he is a flier?but the scouts and gm's will grade him as a top 15 player.

No he's not a flier, but every single flaw in his game will be nitpicked.

Whereas a talented guy can be found in the 3rd/4th (hell the 7th) because of one issue or another and teams are willing to take a chance on him. If he busts it's no big deal.

If you spend a #8 pick on a guy you had better be damn sure he's going to AT LEAST be a solid player for you. Hence why people are looking at his work ethic, his less than ideal burst etc etc

#202 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Only if you take Hilee Taylor too

you just gonna throw him in?

OK

#203 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,672 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

No he's not a flier, but every single flaw in his game will be nitpicked.

Whereas a talented guy can be found in the 3rd/4th (hell the 7th) because of one issue or another and teams are willing to take a chance on him. If he busts it's no big deal.

If you spend a #8 pick on a guy you had better be damn sure he's going to AT LEAST be a solid player for you. Hence why people are looking at his work ethic, his less than ideal burst etc etc

he will be at least a solid player for you. many have said the game comes easy to him, and at time he makes it look effortless. you are taking a chance on anybody you draft. again his former coach even praised him for working his ass off and being a good teammate. there are no such as the perfect prospect.

#204 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

we get it rayzor, record officially broken at this point

you don't like him, fine

Chances are he will be gone before we pick anyway so what the hell is everyone arguing about still? Especially saying the same thing over and over.

MUST DEFEND>>>>MUST DEFEND.. it's a little desperate and quite transparent guys

And Coples coaches have never questioned his desire or his will, they spoke to a situation he was going through. Get yer facts straight Panthro. The question on Cam was never his work ethic, you are right. It was about his compensation IIRC. JR and Marty got through that mess so I know they are smart enough to understand any major issues with his "motor", "desire", or "heart for the game" that some of you are so hell bent on you are passing it off as an issue with his very character and these faults are at the core of his psyche.

This truly has been quite telling, and a bit humorous.

#205 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,172 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

i don't think you are seeing what you think you are seeing.

Edited by rayzor, 30 January 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#206 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

when you're talking about drafting someone in the first round, esp. with a top 10 pick, these are the questions you ask.

Rep+.. well said. When I think of the ideal Dlineman.. I want a guy with a non-stop motor, to go along with great physical attributes. I think the best DE in this draft is hands down Vinny Curry, but I also think Chandler Jones could be a special player as well. Coples and Ta-amu are studs, but I see them letting off the gas too often for my liking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com