SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,880 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

http://www.independe...en-1669282.html

Iraq air raids hit mostly women and children

Report urges review of military strategy when targeting urban areas

Air strikes and artillery barrages have taken a heavy toll among the most vulnerable of the Iraqi people, with children and women forming a disproportionate number of the dead.

Analysis carried out for the research group Iraq Body Count (IBC) found that 39 per cent of those killed in air raids by the US-led coalition were children and 46 per cent were women. Fatalities caused by mortars, used by American and Iraqi government forces as well as insurgents, were 42 per cent children and 44 per cent women.

Twelve per cent of those killed by suicide bombings, mainly the tool of militant Sunni groups, were children and 16 per cent were females. One in five (21 per cent) of those killed by car bombs, used by both Shia and Sunni fighters, was a child; one in four (28 per cent) was a woman.

The figures, compiled by academics at King’s College and Royal Holloway, University of London, show that hi-tech weaponry has caused lethal damage to those in the population who would be furthest away from the conflict.

The victims of one of the most brutal and common types of killings in the war – abduction and execution by death squad – were 95 per cent men, many of them bearing marks of torture.

The report, The Weapons That Kill Civilians, Deaths of Children and Noncombatants in Iraq, was compiled from a sample of 60,481 deaths in 14,196 events over a five-year period since the 2003 invasion. Civilian casualties from concentrated bouts of violence, such as the two sieges of Fallujah, were excluded.

IBC estimates that the total deaths in the conflict so far number 99,774. The medical journal The Lancet has maintained in another study that more than 600,000 people were killed in the first three years of the war. IBC holds that the indiscriminate nature of the fatalities caused by air strikes shows they should not be used in urban areas.

Growing anger over civilian casualties caused by air raids in another front of the “war on terror”, Afghanistan, has led to the US, UK and their Nato partners reviewing their policy of using warplanes. Hamid Karzai, the Afghan President, recently said this had become the most contentious issue between him and Western powers.

From 2004 to 2007, the overall tonnage of munition dropped from planes in the Afghan conflict rose from 163 tonnes a year to 1,956 tonnes, an increase of 1,100 per cent. Since 2001 the US air force has dropped 14,049 tonnes of bombs in Afghanistan and 18,858 in Iraq.

Professor John Sloboda, of Royal Holloway, co-author of the report, said: “Our weapon-specific findings have implications for a wide range of conflicts, because the patterns found in this study are likely to be replicated for these weapons whenever they are used.

Torture and murder the men, bomb the women and children.

Posted Image

I have long maintained that it is likely a violation of the Geneva Conventions for the US air force to systematically bomb cities that the US military is already occupying. Typically such close air support in urban areas is called in by infantry or armor patrols to deal with snipers atop tenement buildings. But since families live in the tenement buildings, taking out a sniper or two often results in significant civilian deaths. It is likely that the death toll of women and children is much greater than the Iraq Body Count suggests, since pulberized buildings are not always cleared away in a slum, and when they are, bodies are not always exhumed.

http://www.juancole....uk-bombing.html

If they weren't living under snipers they wouldn't be bombed

If only there was some precedent for the consequences of this kind of indiscrimin

The still-incomplete database (it has several "dark" periods) reveals that from October 4, 1965, to August 15, 1973, the United States dropped far more ordnance on Cambodia than was previously believed: 2,756,941 tons' worth, dropped in 230,516 sorties on 113,716 sites. Just over 10 percent of this bombing was indiscriminate, with 3,580 of the sites listed as having "unknown" targets and another 8,238 sites having no target listed at all. Even if the latter may arguably be oversights, the former suggest explicit knowledge of indiscretion. The database also shows that the bombing began four years earlier than is widely believed -- not under Nixon, but under Lyndon Johnson. The impact of this bombing, the subject of much debate for the past three decades, is now clearer than ever. Civilian casualties in Cambodia drove an enraged populace into the arms of an insurgency that had enjoyed relatively little support until the bombing began, setting in motion the expansion of the Vietnam War deeper into Cambodia, a coup d'├ętat in 1970, the rapid rise of the Khmer Rouge, and ultimately the Cambodian genocide. The data demonstrates that the way a country chooses to exit a conflict can have disastrous consequences. It therefore speaks to contemporary warfare as well, including US operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. Despite many differences, a critical similarity links the war in Iraq with the Cambodian conflict: an increasing reliance on air power to battle a heterogeneous, volatile insurgency.

http://www.zmag.org/...ewArticle/15442

you just have to laugh

also if you're curious to learn more about the United States' obsession with "precision bombing" and how completely ineffective it was in the attack of Baghdad Why We Fight is on google video for free. Tons of military personnel are in it as well as Chalmers Johnson who really knows his poo. It's a good watch and delves into the Military Industrial Complex at length.

Edited by Fiz, 16 April 2009 - 09:39 AM.

#2 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

This should be interesting.

#3 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

fiz hates amurika.

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,819 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

Fiz is this the same military you were talking about joining yesterday in 'Rebel Yell'?

#5 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Yeah, Booooyyyyyy....

• HUDDLER
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

Maybe the women and children should just move out of the fighting areas and quit supporting the insurgents. It's not like the bombings started yesterday.

I hate it when all this whiny, punk-a$$ BS arises because it sells papers and tries to undermine the military.

Also, this isn't anything new, it's been going on for years. There will always be colateral damage especially when the opponent is too pvssy to come out and fight. That's a choice they make.

They (the insurgents) would love nothing more than to have our boys trapped in the inner city so they can pick them off all the time crying as to how they are the "victims." I went through that poo in Beirut (twice) and it isn't much fun. I say fvck them in their sissy poo a$$e$!

Sometimes you gotta kill a few innocents so the rest of them know you mean business.

I just hate it when dumba$$e$ condemn this while forgetting to mention and or remember how many innocent women and children were killed when the towers went down.....

Sorry for the rant....

#6 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

fiz is going to locate those pesky women and children in intelligence.

#7 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,880 posts

Fiz is this the same military you were talking about joining yesterday in 'Rebel Yell'?

yep.

hey guys i know some of you have a sick fascination with me, my sex life, and all sorts of other things but this is a pretty serious problem with the American military and the way it conducts itself and is indicative of its inability to effectively fight this kind of war and probably warrants an honest discussion.

but this will just turn into a thread about me.

#8 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,880 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I just hate it when dumba$$e$ condemn this while forgetting to mention and or remember how many innocent women and children were killed when the towers went down.....

do tell what did iraq have to do with 9/11

#9 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

maybe the children should just move out of the fighting areas and quit supporting the insurgents. It's not like the bombings started yesterday.

yea!

#10 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Yeah, Booooyyyyyy....

• HUDDLER
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

I gues not much when you put it that way but when you consider the fact that Al Quaida considered itself at war with us when it did that and we consider ourselves at war with the insurgents, it kinda levels out as acts of combat.

#11 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

I gues not much when you put it that way but when you consider the fact that Al Quaida considered itself at war with us when it did that and we consider ourselves at war with the insurgents, it kinda levels out as acts of combat.

I don't understand how you can justify killing innocents based on 9/11 when supposedly, the death of innocents was the abomination which sent this country into war.

#12 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,819 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

yep.

hey guys i know some of you have a sick fascination with me, my sex life, and all sorts of other things but this is a pretty serious problem with the American military and the way it conducts itself and is indicative of its inability to effectively fight this kind of war and probably warrants an honest discussion.

but this will just turn into a thread about me.

Yeah, that's it Fiz, we're all obsessed with you...:crazy:

I just find it curious that one day you're talking about joining the military and the next you're talking about how they're indiscriminate murderers. I guess you don't see the irony in that.

#13 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Translation = Nothing.

#14 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,880 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

I just find it curious that one day you're talking about joining the military and the next you're talking about how they're indiscriminate murderers. I guess you don't see the irony in that.

no not really.

everything has problems. Also I wouldn't be going infantry or artillery.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

I don't understand how you can justify killing innocents based on 9/11 when supposedly, the death of innocents was the abomination which sent this country into war.

Because they are camel herders and we are bankers, duh! We also love freedom and they do not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.