Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I miss the old rpgs

42 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Am I alone in missing the old turn based RPGs that made gaming great for such a long time? I just bought Xenogears on PS3 Playstation store to play because the old RPGs were awesome and that was one I had never played. Seemed like gaming used to be better to me.....

Posted · Report post

I used to love the old turn-based RPGs, but now when I try to play them on an emulator, I get bored with them very quickly. Maybe they just arent as exciting to me now, than they were when I was a kid.

I do wish that more game companies would try to focus on making their games actually fun instead of spending all of their effort on graphics these days though. RPGs have sucked ass since the 90s. They just aren't as fun as Chrono Cross, the older Final Fantasies, etc.

Some of them are still ok, but I just dont get the urge to stay up all night for days on end playing them like I used to. Maybe I am just getting old.

Posted · Report post

Well it has been proven that attention spans continue to shorten as time goes on and the old rpgs were of the slower moving, but great storyline, variety. Games are much more in your face and faster now. Not much time to soak in the experience. I play newer games, but they don't stick like the older ones did. I guess I just miss that feeling when playing a great game...

Posted · Report post

i miss how much fun i had playing final fantasy 10

Posted · Report post

i miss how much fun i had playing final fantasy 10

I hated the main character, but other than that, I thought 10 was one of the better of the series.

I am one of the few that like 13 as well. The story sucked ass, but the mechanics were pretty fun. I am one of the few that will be buying XIII2 next week.

Posted · Report post

I liked 7 and 8.

Wish I had played the others

Posted · Report post

I liked 7 and 8.

Wish I had played the others

4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 and 13 are all worth playing. I also highly recommend Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross also, which were the best games ever produced by Square-Enix. You are missing out if you havent played them.

Just download an emulator and the games.

Posted · Report post

i thought 13 was terrible.

Posted · Report post

7 was my favorite. Have it still. Did another play through a year ago. It was worth it.

I do miss the old rpgs as well. Dragon Warrior series. Dragon Quest. Original Final Fantasy. Ultima. Shining Force.

Posted · Report post

Old RPGs were awesome except for the grinding. It seemed like every RPG from before the newest generation had some point built into the game where the difficulty level would go up a whole lot just to get an extra 10 hours of grinding gameplay.

FF3 was the poo though.

Posted · Report post

american ff2 is what broke the grind mold

i miss games that incorporate multiple play styles instead of just a bunch of run n gun

Posted · Report post

I actually appreciated the grinding. Just something about not being strong enough, then going out and building experience until you were finally strong enough to defeat a certain enemy. Or, at the very least, have to start over and try a different strategy, look for a weakness...

Back in the old days, you could actually die and experience game over when playing an RPG. Now they are too easy. No challenge anymore.

And that seems to go for all games, not just RPGs.