Photo
- - - - -

How will you vote on the gay marriage amendment?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#205 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

Prop 8 in California was just overturned. May not have a huge national effect because gay marriage was already legal in California when the ban went into effect.

http://latimesblogs....gle Feedfetcher

one step closer to mandatory gay marriages for all :(:(:(

#206 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

I understand why this is such a touch topic. The work Marriage has a very religious meaning for MANY people.

Do this in a two step fashion:

1. Grant civil unions now...giving gay couples the rights they deserve.
2. Change it to marriage in the future once it is not such a lightning rod issue.

#207 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Why do you think it won't be a lightning rod issue? Are you expecting religious people to shut up about it or something? Are they going to wake up one morning and go, "oh, okay, I don't care about the definition anymore"?

imo there's no point in a two step process. If you think for sure it'll be changed in the foreseeable future, why not just change it now? Opposition for it isn't going away. There will always be very vocal religious conservatives to challenge it.

edit: Also, when you guys say "give gay couples civil unions", are you saying "Give them federally recognized benefits that allow them to basically be COMPLETELY considered married in every way outside the word"? Because in many cases civil unions are not quite as simple as that, due to lack of recognition in other states etc.

Edited by mav1234, 08 February 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#208 Niner National

Niner National

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Why do you think it won't be a lightning rod issue? Are you expecting religious people to shut up about it or something?

Most of them shut up about interracial marriage over time.

Divorce isn't really a big issue.

Birth control isn't really a big issue (for Christians in general, but still is for some governing bodies of Christian organizations).

Same goes for drinking and tattoos.

Lot's of things are cultural norms now that were once looked down upon by Christians. Same thing will happen here.

#209 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ok, so you think they would have shut up about that stuff if it wasn't forced to be made legal...?

Of course the issues were no longer lightning rods once they were already decided. But if you put it off and off, it doesn't make the problems go away.

#210 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Birth control isn't really a big issue (for Christians in general, but still is for some governing bodies of Christian organizations).

Not to the Catholic Hospital systems...oooopha

#211 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

I understand why this is such a touch topic. The work Marriage has a very religious meaning for MANY people.

Do this in a two step fashion:

1. Grant civil unions now...giving gay couples the rights they deserve.
2. Change it to marriage in the future once it is not such a lightning rod issue.

I don't begrudge anyone the right to believe as they want. You want to think that homosexuality is an abomination and a sin before God then whatever, I dont really care. But when you want to attempt to codify those beliefs into the laws of this land, a land founded on the precept that we all should be free to believe (or not) in whatever God we choose. I'm sorry, but you can go to hell.

Marriage is NOT a religious institution in any way beyond ritualistic. Sure there are religious rites that are performed to sanctify a joining of two people, but just as being Confirmed in the Presbyterian church doesn't make me legally a member of that sect - being married in a church doesn't convey any legal standing. Its a ritual, nothing more.

The marriage is granted by and recognized by the local government and as such should be available to all consenting adults within the community.

Wrapping your bigotry in a religious text doesn't make it any less bigoted.

Edited by Inimicus, 08 February 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#212 d-run

d-run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Man, here is some more news on the subject. Right after the news that Prop 8 is overturned, Washington state just passed a gay marriage bill.

http://www.bendbulle...category=NEWS01