Photo
- - - - -

How will you vote on the gay marriage amendment?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#61 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

I think a lot of it is just ignorance.

My uncle is a pastor in West Virginia. I heard him say last time I saw him that they'd have to throw him in jail before he marries a gay couple. He literally thinks if they legalize it he'll be flooded with gays getting married and that he'll be in legal trouble if he refuses to do it.

IMO, the legislature is just punting because its not something they want to deal with one way or the other.

#62 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,969 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I hope if it passes all gay men find their nearest local church and bang each other during the benediction.

#63 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,230 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

I hope it's Kitten Divers church

#64 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Even if it does pass, it will only be a matter of time before the US supreme court makes all these amendments unconstitutional. Hopefully when that happens NC will still be a bright spot in a sea of injustice, considering it is the only southern state that doesn't have this amendment, or a harsher one, already.

#65 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,765 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

You would think that after all the states that allow it have been doing it for a while, all these straight folks marriage sanctity would have run out by now.

#66 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

How is someone a bigot because they believe a word means something.

If you expounded the question to, do you believe homosexuals should have the right to power of attorneys to their sig other, or should they have civil union contracts that provide marriage-esque benefits, etc...you'd see widespread support.

Asking people to redefine what marriage is...is shoving something down their throat they aren't going to take lightly, especially when juxtaposed against their religous beliefs. Making the comparison to interracial marriages (despite the Kentucky ignorance case) doesn't fly for the religous argument.

As far as I can tell this amendment would also ban civil unions

Section 6:
Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts.

#67 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Even though Gaga sings "born that way", there are other views.

Climate change? Oh that's just bad science, they're wrong.

Gays born that way? I'm going to need some scientific evidence.

#68 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Even if it does pass, it will only be a matter of time before the US supreme court makes all these amendments unconstitutional. Hopefully when that happens NC will still be a bright spot in a sea of injustice, considering it is the only southern state that doesn't have this amendment, or a harsher one, already.

I am not sure the Supreme Court would feel it had jurisdiction in the matter. But the SC might eventually have to decide whether or not a state would have to recognize a gay marriage conducted in another state.

#69 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

I hope it's Kitten Divers church

It's synagogue broseph.

#70 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

I hope if it passes all gay men find their nearest local church and bang each other during the benediction.

Bible beaters hate the sin itself. So why be sexist about it? Get a few lesbians up there for some scissorin...

#71 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,230 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Then I hope it's on the seder table?

#72 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Then I hope it's on the seder table?

Yes I like a little sprinkling of butt juice on my Karpas.;)

#73 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

I am not sure the Supreme Court would feel it had jurisdiction in the matter. But the SC might eventually have to decide whether or not a state would have to recognize a gay marriage conducted in another state.

I don't see how laws limiting the rights of a certain population based primarily on religious doctrine is not in the SC's jurisdiction.

#74 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

It is as much as interracial marriage was for Loving vs. Virginia. It will eventually be federally legal and these state things won't matter.

#75 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I don't see how laws limiting the rights of a certain population based primarily on religious doctrine is not in the SC's jurisdiction.

The Supreme Court has already decided that the States have the authority to decide who can get married. They have a right for example to deny first cousins from getting married.

Now, the Supreme's might decide to look at it based on the 14th amendment equal protection clause. Thats how laws limiting interracial marriage were overturned. But its a conservative court and they might decide that this doesn't apply.

FWIW, I am not saying you are wrong, just that from a legal standpoint, it isn't so black and white.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 01 February 2012 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.