Photo
- - - - -

How will you vote on the gay marriage amendment?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#91 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ok, but nobody is trying to force you to engage in homosexuality. Your religious beliefs are your own; do you think that US law should be based explicitly on what the Bible says?

No, but it's not a practice I agree with. Again, what's wrong with the term civil union, domestic partnership?

#92 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

No, but it's not a practice I agree with. Again, what's wrong with the term civil union, domestic partnership?

What kind of ego do you have to think that something should be constitutionally banned because you don't agree with it?

I don't agree with a LOT of stuff, but I recognize other people's basic human dignity and equality and don't feel like I'm entitled to dictate to them.

#93 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Imagine if we in the South had put up minorities rights on the ballot in the '60s. Shouldn't the results be ruled unconstitutional anyways? Come on Conservatives, help me out. You can't be grocery shopping the constitution.

#94 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Would you be okay with your marriage being called a civil union by the government?

The "problem" is that separate is not equal in my mind.

#95 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Would you be okay with your marriage being called a civil union by the government?

The "problem" is that separate is not equal in my mind.

I would be perfectly fine with the gov calling my marriage a civil union, or anything else they want to call it, I don't give a fug what the government calls it, because my marriage is not dependent on weather the government sanctions it or not.

#96 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

I would be perfectly fine with the gov calling my marriage a civil union, or anything else they want to call it, I don't give a f**k what the government calls it, because my marriage is not dependent on weather the government sanctions it or not.

Riiiiiight. Why don't you look at what you would be losing if you were in a civil union vs marriage. It's not all about saying "I'm married". It's about legal rights and medical decisions and money.

#97 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,629 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

My first marriage should have been called a uncivil union. :)

#98 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

I would be perfectly fine with the gov calling my marriage a civil union, or anything else they want to call it, I don't give a fug what the government calls it, because my marriage is not dependent on weather the government sanctions it or not.

Ok, but can you see how being told you *can't* call your marriage a marriage might seem unfair? Especially if other people are being allowed to?

#99 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

It's not about the word marriage. This isn't an argument over semantics and language, it's about a broad spectrum of legal rights. Civil unions and marriages are not the same thing and don't carry the same implications.

If you could absolutely guarantee full and complete equality between civil unions and marriages that's one thing, but you can't. So pretending it's simply about the word "marriage" for some arbitrary reason is simply not a valid argument.

#100 d-run

d-run

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

If you believe civil unions would be an appropriate solution to this problem (which I don't) you should vote against amendment 1 since it will also make that unconstitutional.

#101 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

If they say it's ok and legal I might start having to suck dicks...

#102 Davis83

Davis83

Rebelling since 1753

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Target on my back:

I didn't ask for it to be on a ballot - but since it is - I will vote for the amendment. I do not support anything that has the appearance of "homosexual relations are normal". One poster made a good point - give an inch, they take a mile. Whats next? "Homosexual history month" in schools.

I'll make no apologies - not referring to religion or morality. I don't like it and if asked by my state government - will express my personal beliefs by voting to ban it.

Everyone has their own beliefs and standards - calling someone a bigot simply because their opinion differs from yours is like the pot calling the kettle black.

#103 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Target on my back:

I didn't ask for it to be on a ballot - but since it is - I will vote for the amendment. I do not support anything that has the appearance of "homosexual relations are normal". One poster made a good point - give an inch, they take a mile. Whats next? "Homosexual history month" in schools.

I'll make no apologies - not referring to religion or morality. I don't like it and if asked by my state government - will express my personal beliefs by voting to ban it.

Everyone has their own beliefs and standards - calling someone a bigot simply because their opinion differs from yours is like the pot calling the kettle black.

You should look up the definition of the word bigot, because you very blatantly don't know what it means.

You have a bigoted opinion toward gay people. You just said it. Demanding to not be called a bigot over your bigoted views is just not going to happen, sorry.

What you just said amount to "I don't like black people. But calling me racist is the pot calling the kettle black." Makes no fuging sense.

If you're going to be a bigot, be a bigot. You can't have it both ways.

#104 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Riiiiiight. Why don't you look at what you would be losing if you were in a civil union vs marriage. It's not all about saying "I'm married". It's about legal rights and medical decisions and money.

since none of that was part of the question I was answering, not sure what your point is.

#105 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Gay people aren't asking for 40 acres and a mule they just want to have equal rights...you mouth breathers. When the hell have conservatives ever championed civil rights? Never. You are on the wrong side. Be ok with that...and in 30 years when youre fudging dead I hope all your children realize what backwards thinking idiots you are and ashamed of you. They will be by the way. Just a heads up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com