Photo
- - - - -

Does gun control really work?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#31 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,708 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

Not only should guns be legal for responsible citizens, I think we should be able to have guns mounted on the top of our vehicles for rush hour traffic. The rockets in the grill are for dump trucks.

Out of my way bitches.
http://autos.canada....03.bin?size=hhl

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 17 April 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#32 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, I saw that linked in this article:

http://en.wikipedia....a_Tech_massacre

Given your skills in blame transference I assume you're also in favor of banning muslims from pilot school.

#33 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

"semi-automatic" groups nearly all hunting weapons as well. An "automatic" shotgun, most hunting rifles, my little Nylon .22 squirrel gun.

yea, i know, which is why most proposed restrictions are on mag capacity. however I think we can agree that the free exchange of weapons on what essentially amounts to a black market is probably not the best idea.

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Given your skills in blame transference I assume you're also in favor of banning muslims from pilot school.

Please explain how a person with a history of mental illness being able to purchase ammo and firearms without the bat of an eyelash is a good thing.

#35 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

yea, i know, which is why most proposed restrictions are on mag capacity. however I think we can agree that the free exchange of weapons on what essentially amounts to a black market is probably not the best idea.

Also it's not only the US effected.

One of the major reasons authorities in Mexico are having trouble keeping the drug gangs in check is that the criminals have such easy access to American guns.

#36 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

One of the major reasons authorities in Mexico are having trouble keeping the drug gangs in check is that the criminals have such easy access to American guns.

it's also part of the reason there is such free access to weaponry on the streets of urban centers as well, the path of guns from southern gunshows to DC and NYC is well documented. This in turn causes overzealous reactionary gun laws in said urban centers and ultimately causes unnecessary restriction on law-abiding citizens.

#37 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,708 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Don't forget to mention all the hippie drug addicts and crack heads creating demand up here. Here's an idea, stop doing drugs and creating such a great market for the drug lords. Nah, we are too selfish for that.

#38 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

Please explain how a person with a history of mental illness being able to purchase ammo and firearms without the bat of an eyelash is a good thing.

If someone is well enough not to be institutionalized, and doesn't have a history of violence or self-infliction, why does he need to have his rights limited? Is he less than a citizen if he's never done anything wrong?

Most people have some degree of mental illness. Where do you draw the line for the good of the rest of the lunatics in the world?

#39 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

Don't forget to mention all the hippie drug addicts and crack heads creating demand up here. Here's an idea, stop doing drugs and creating such a great market for the drug lords. Nah, we are too selfish for that.

Obviously our demand for illegal drugs fuels the trade, but it is become a real problem for enforcement due to the fact the gangs are very, very well armed and can as easily rearm as you can buy a taco.

This is the problem with the gun crowd. You guys will not even admit for a second that easy access to guns is a bad thing. Absolutely zero accountability.

Bottom line, as long as I can get the gun I want without a lot of fuss, I will rationalize anyone else's death.

#40 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'm on the left on this one, guys. There is no reason citizens need to have automatic weapons. And Rodeo is right....gun owners should be licensed similarly to car drivers. More education here could save thousands of lives.

#41 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,767 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

as far as the NRA not supporting gun show background checks...

it's just a group of people meeting. Do you expect every citizen to have access to the federal background check (criminal, mental, etc history) prior to selling them a weapon?

Fine. Lets do the same for adoptive parents. Driver's licenses. Working in education. I don't think it's a matter of HEY...NRA wants felons to go to gun shows to buy weapons they can't get at a store...I think it's a matter of it's an unenforcable law. I would imagine they'd just say go for it...but don't blame them if more UNTRACKED sales go on privately than SOME controls at gun shows.

BTW...have any of you actually been to a gun show? I haven't. And I'm not even a member of the NRA. But I do own a few weapons.

As for gun control laws...do I think everyone has the right to own an RPG, or FULLY-automatic machine gun...no.

I think there needs to be STRICTER penalties for people that commit crimes with guns. If someone dies...in any manner OR is simply permanantly physically damaged...during the crime commited with a gun. Death penalty or life in prison with no chance of ever leaving....period. And if there is overcrowding...you will be put to death to accomodate the new ones coming in...because you weren't leaving anyway. (and believe it or not...I'm not really FOR the death penalty)

#42 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

as far as the NRA not supporting gun show background checks...

it's just a group of people meeting. Do you expect every citizen to have access to the federal background check (criminal, mental, etc history) prior to selling them a weapon?

Fine. Lets do the same for adoptive parents. Driver's licenses. Working in education. I don't think it's a matter of HEY...NRA wants felons to go to gun shows to buy weapons they can't get at a store...I think it's a matter of it's an unenforcable law. I would imagine they'd just say go for it...but don't blame them if more UNTRACKED sales go on privately than SOME controls at gun shows.

BTW...have any of you actually been to a gun show? I haven't. And I'm not even a member of the NRA. But I do own a few weapons.

So you're saying we should just have "Adoption Shows" and "Drivers License Shows?" Brilliant.

How was I to know this guy adopting was a serial child rapist?!!! I don't have the ability to do a background check!

And yes, I have been to a gun and knife show.

#43 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,708 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

Obviously our demand for illegal drugs fuels the trade, but it is become a real problem for enforcement due to the fact the gangs are very, very well armed and can as easily rearm as you can buy a taco.

This is the problem with the gun crowd. You guys will not even admit for a second that easy access to guns is a bad thing. Absolutely zero accountability.

Bottom line, as long as I can get the gun I want without a lot of fuss, I will rationalize anyone else's death.

I've never bought a gun nor have I been to a Gun Show. All three of my guns have been passed down from my Dad. Two rifles and a shot gun. Guns are in my closet, locked up. Ammo is stored on the top shelf in my garage.

Are you still in Austin? I was just curious how or if the border towns like Laredo, McAllen, and El Paso are preparing? Are they feeling any threat or seeing any signs of the potential for an increase in violence?

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 17 April 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#44 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

I went to one about 15 years ago here in the Charlotte area with my dad...holy crap. The one memory I have is the huge amount of white supremacist tatt's I saw.

I used to shoot competively as a youngster until I started losing my eye sight (and got other interests)....which was about the same time as I started getting cinemax in my room...hmmmm

#45 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,767 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

So you're saying we should just have "Adoption Shows" and "Drivers License Shows?" Brilliant.

How was I to know this guy adopting was a serial child rapist?!!! I don't have the ability to do a background check!

And yes, I have been to a gun and knife show.

No.

Do you want another private citizen searching your mental (HIPAA) or criminal (albeit legal) histories? Must be accessible by anyone right? Gun shows are primarily a gathering of citizens...gun stores AT the store still have to go through the same hoops they always do for background checks. It's the swapshop selling that's the issue. But you can do that through the internet...the biggest network utility on the planet.

The fact you equated this out to mean that I wanted adoption shows...or driver's license shows...well...I will avoid namecalling.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com