Photo
- - - - -

i had an interesting conversation with a draftnik about nawrocki on twitter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#37 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

I don't know why this is so surprising. This discussion could have been with just about any draftnik about any player. These so-called draft experts do not have the access to players or coaches like teams do. They often have to rely on second hand information to make their evaluations. That's why guys like Mayock said "if" Cam is willing to put in the work he has an unlimited ceiling. The thing is, they can evaluate tape, pro days, the combine, etc., but a) do not have the resources, and B) do not have the access to truly evaluate the non-performance aspects of a player.

The best ones have many different sources that provide them with info, so they can corraborate what they hear with multiple sources, thus feeling pretty comfortable that what they report is accurate, while others without that kind of network tend to be more hit and miss on their evaluations.

Just to be clear, I am not defending NN, he clearly did not verify his intel with a broad enough net and should have not been so aggressive in his evaluation.

#38 Lumps

Lumps

Jase is butthurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

rayzor was simply trying to make him admit he is pretty worthless at his job, ironically ryzr did this instead of his own job

: )

#39 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

BPA

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Nice work. Don't let these bastards off the hook.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

rayzor was simply trying to make him admit he is pretty worthless at his job, ironically ryzr did this instead of his own job

: )

meh...i'm sure my boss (me) won't mind. :)

i ain't saying anything to my wife, tho. :o

#41 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

from what i could tell, he talked to the same "sources" that nawrocki did...none of which were auburn or blinn coaches or players. essentially they talked to people who talked to people who "knew". it was all 3rd hand info from unnamed sources citing unnamed sources.

So you pretty much brought to light what many had already assumed.

#42 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

If you really didn't care and moved on you wouldn't be spending time on it. Just saying

#43 FootballCzar

FootballCzar

Posted Up and Scopin'

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

So this "Professional Draftnik" thing is like some small cottage industry that pumps out written evaluation pieces/ blogs that attempt to provide fans with draft prospect info, while believing that they have influence over the ones that do this for a real living? They aren't real scouts or journalists? Maybe the only way to get noticed in this field is to take some extreme opinions and try to get yourself noticed by putting them out there. NN accomplished that regardless of the validity of his work. I'd bet that he's glad he published it even though he was wrong. Excuse? I'd bet on "We all miss every once and a while". Either way, I know his name now and I've never heard of him before.

I'll admit to being interested in all the draft info I can digest, but I'll be damned if I'm going to take it like someone's spreading lies about my mama.

:iagree:

Although NN played at Illinois.. the sad part is that ALL/MOST have NEVER even played the game...even at the HS level.

That's why I get frustrated have played at that D1 level and coached ball... I keep it all based off the film I get and evaluate. Everything else is irrelevant. And a lot of these "draftniks" don't know what they are looking at. I.E. every player that catches a pass or makes a nice run does NOT make them a NFL prospect.

#44 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

yay, posts about twittering!

#45 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

If you really didn't care and moved on you wouldn't be spending time on it. Just saying

i just happened to notice the conversation and got curious so i jumped in. there wasn't anything really urgent i was wrking on so why not?

#46 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

yay, posts about twittering!

yay, a post on a message board!