• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,416 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

By far the biggest increases in spending and government debt happened under the Bushes and Ronnie.

The only recent decrease in both? Clinton.

Republicans always campaign on lower spending and spend like sailors on furlow when they get elected.

Of course changing your campaign promises only is a problem when you hang out with Jews and don't go to church.

Spending went up every single year of the Clinton administration, despite the military cutbacks started during the Bush I administration. The smallest increase during the 90's occurred in the 1992/1993 budget.
It was Bush I's tax increases along with military cutbacks that created the budget surplus. Clinton gets credit in the media, but Bush I deserves more credit. Of course, the thing that balanced the budget (tax increases) also cost him his job.

#17 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Spending went up every single year of the Clinton administration, despite the military cutbacks started during the Bush I administration. The smallest increase during the 90's occurred in the 1992/1993 budget.
It was Bush I's tax increases along with military cutbacks that created the budget surplus. Clinton gets credit in the media, but Bush I deserves more credit. Of course, the thing that balanced the budget (tax increases) also cost him his job.

People on the left also conveniently forget the election of 1994 and what the "Contract With America" did to Clinton's grandiose schemes.

#18 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

The biggest thing about Bush's taxes increases is he made such a ballyhoo about never making tax increases.

He dug his own grave there.

#19 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

The biggest thing about Bush's taxes increases is he made such a ballyhoo about never making tax increases.

He dug his own grave there.

#20 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,416 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Liked it so much you had to say it twice eh? ;)

I agree, but in fact if he hadn't said it in 1988, he stood a much greater chance of losing. He should have waited till after the 1992 elections to raise taxes. Then the economic expansion that occurred in the 90's would likely have been credited to Bush senior.

And its likely that shrub would not have been president in 2000.

#21 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Liked it so much you had to say it twice eh? ;)

I agree, but in fact if he hadn't said it in 1988, he stood a much greater chance of losing. He should have waited till after the 1992 elections to raise taxes. Then the economic expansion that occurred in the 90's would likely have been credited to Bush senior.

And its likely that shrub would not have been president in 2000.

I was still a preteen when Bush raised taxes, but I thought congress had more to do with that than Bush.

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,416 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

I was still a preteen when Bush raised taxes, but I thought congress had more to do with that than Bush.

It was actually a long process, that involved a lot of compromises from democrats and republicans in congress and the white house. And Conservative Republicans were not happy that Bush compromised, especially when he didn't lessen or remove the Capital Gains tax.

#23 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

How did we get stuck with Bush vs. Gore in 2000 and Bush vs. Kerry in 2004?

#24 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

we were stuck with Bush vs. Kerry in 2004 because of one simple word.

EYAIEH!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

More to the point, a very well placed parabolic/shotgun mike.

#26 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,416 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

we were stuck with Bush vs. Kerry in 2004 because of one simple word.

EYAIEH!!!!!!!!!!!

He would have taken a worse beatdown than Kerry did imo. Bush was still relatively popular at that time. It wasn't until 2005/2006 that Bush's popularity began to wane.

#27 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

he would've been dished a worse beatdown, but he wouldn't have taken it like Kerry did.

#28 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

I wanted Gore to win in 2000. I thought he would have been able to keep the good times going, without all the Clinton baggage. Did he lose because he had too much Clinton on him, or did he lose because he's a freaking dork?

#29 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

the dork thing. i wasn't interested in politics then, but i still remember him constantly sighing and speaking like friggin Eeyore during the debates.

combined with Lieberman it was like attending a funeral every time you saw them speak.

#30 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

I didn't really start caring about politics until 9/11/2001.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.