10 replies to this topic

#1 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Was playing Heavy Rain today, awesome game btw, and my PS3 just turned off and started to blink red. Tried switching off, unplugging and letting it sit. Turned it back on, went green for about 2 seconds then went back to blinking red. Looked like it turns yellowish for about a split second then red. Thankfully I got the game out.

We've had this system since Christmas of '07, so I'm gonna go out on limb and say it's just dead.

Anyone else experience this before? Yes I know I can google this, but we got lots of PS3 guys on here.

#2 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

yup... it's dead.

you can send it back to sony and get it fixed or send it to a 3rd party place and get it fixed... i sent mine back to sony and got a refurb... i think it cost me $100 or something, i can't quite remember.

hope you backed your games up. if not, you should probably go with a 3rd party. Sony will just send you a refurb.

#3 Paintballr

Paintballr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Take it to best buy at concord mills, I think they can fix that issue with the play station.

#4 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I live in Chicago, but thanks hahaha.

Is it even worth fixing? Or should I just go out a buy a new one?

#5 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

If you want your save data, fix it. If you buy a new one or send it to Sony, your data is gone. If it's what I think it is,yellow light of death, there are countless youtube videos instructing you how to fix it.

#6 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I live in Chicago, but thanks hahaha.

Is it even worth fixing? Or should I just go out a buy a new one?

Send it to Sony and you get a refurb... That is a new one.

#7 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

It's likely a common issue with a chip internally that gets too hot due to not having proper access to cooling air. It happened to my buddy's PS3 a week ago and he took it to a shop and got it repaired for $70. Don't fuggen bother with sending it to Sony since it's going to cost in the $100 range to fix it plus the shipping. Your warranty is already done so take it to a local shop and get it fixed on the cheap.

#8 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sony pays for shipping both ways and supposedly has fixed the design flaw. You can probably do what a shop is going to do yourself if you have a heat gun. You just need to put new thermal paste on the chips... I just don't know if that's a permanent solution.

#9 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sony pays for shipping both ways and supposedly has fixed the design flaw. You can probably do what a shop is going to do yourself if you have a heat gun. You just need to put new thermal paste on the chips... I just don't know if that's a permanent solution.

Huh. Interesting. My buddy literally was dealing with this last week and said that Sony would not pay for shipping and it was going to be in the range of $50 for him to ship it to them.

I do agree if you've got a de-soldering iron and the know how to do it, then you can do it yourself for sure.

#10 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Maybe the policy has changes then, I got mine done a year or two ago...

If you can find a good shop that'll give you warranty I say do it.

#11 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,795 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.