Photo
- - - - -

Observations on the coverage or lackthereof the Tea Parties.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#31 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Excellent rebuttal. I look forward to hearing more of your insightful opinion.

#32 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

It's like there is anger on the left that people would do this. Let me remind you...

1. No one got hurt
2. Nothing was destroyed, except maybe the reputation of some reporters on the left

It was just some people letting off steam. They don't like the direction this country is now headed and they said so.

#33 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

You could also say the g20 protests were just people letting off steam. It was a very small percentage of people getting violent(and considering a larger group not spread out, younger more energetic crowd, police presence in riot gear, etc), but that's beside the point. The point is that this board immediately downplayed the g20 protest as 'just a bunch of liberal nutjobs'. But when people downplay these tea party protests as 'just a bunch of right-wing nutjobs', everyone is up in arms starting multiple threads to try and convince everyone that it's a bi-partisan, grassroots protest.

It's 2 very similar events that were looked at in completely different ways. I don't think it's anger from the left on these protests happening, it's anger on how obvious prejudice was applied.

Just for the record, I think both were equally stupid, unproductive and too vague. If you're going to protest something make it targeted and practical.

#34 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

You could also say the g20 protests were just people letting off steam. It was a very small percentage of people getting violent(and considering a larger group not spread out, younger more energetic crowd, police presence in riot gear, etc), but that's beside the point. The point is that this board immediately downplayed the g20 protest as 'just a bunch of liberal nutjobs'. But when people downplay these tea party protests as 'just a bunch of right-wing nutjobs', everyone is up in arms starting multiple threads to try and convince everyone that it's a bi-partisan, grassroots protest.

It's 2 very similar events that were looked at in completely different ways. I don't think it's anger from the left on these protests happening, it's anger on how obvious prejudice was applied.

Just for the record, I think both were equally stupid, unproductive and too vague. If you're going to protest something make it targeted and practical.

For the record, I questioned the g20 protests because I didn't know what they were protesting. I still don't understand getting violent over it.

Again, the "tea parties" were simply people letting off steam. And the left couldn't even let them do that.

#35 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,921 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Unless the thread title was totally different i couldnt find much on the g20.

Yes, both sides do downplay or look the other way depending on the topic.
Not earth shattering news. I have said it alot, what baffles me more than anything else is really how low brow those in the media who may not have liked the tea party, which is totally cool, to stoop to the level of discrediting that they did. From the Daily Show or Late Night shows I expect that and get it.
From news? Strange.

#36 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

It was wasteful spending. New Orleans is below sea level.

Irrelevant if the wetlands are restored along with strong levees.

the dutch have made it work, can the U.S not do the same? or are you admitting the U.S is inferior to the Dutch?

#37 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Irrelevant if the wetlands are restored along with strong levees.

the dutch have made it work, can the U.S not do the same? or are you admitting the U.S is inferior to the Dutch?

Isn't most of the Netherlands in that situation? Don't know much about them.

Are there parts of New Orleans that are above sea level? If so, how about rebuilding there? Why put yourselves in a situation of having to rebuild all over again? If something happened to New Orleans this summer, there would be no money to do this, anyway.

#38 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

there's not an inch of america that's immune from natural disaster. we rebuild.

#39 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

The French Quarter and parts of Uptown New Orleans are above sea level. They've already started on the '100 year storm' levees this year and they've closed a shipping channel that flooded a whole district of the city. Lots of progress is being made.

#40 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

The French Quarter and parts of Uptown New Orleans are above sea level. They've already started on the '100 year storm' levees this year and they've closed a shipping channel that flooded a whole district of the city. Lots of progress is being made.

Well I hope nothing like Katrina ever happens there again. But I also hope they are smart about rebuilding there, in case it does.

#41 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

The 9th ward is done, only 8% of the population there returned. But many other neighborhoods are coming along very nicely, and in some cases better than before.

#42 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

to be quite honest within our lifetimes we're going to have to triage our coastal cities so we might as well figure out how to do it with new orleans so we don't have to start from scratch with houston, boston, or new york

#43 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Just Houston. The other two are liberal bastions.

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

to be quite honest within our lifetimes we're going to have to triage our coastal cities so we might as well figure out how to do it with new orleans so we don't have to start from scratch with houston, boston, or new york

lol

Seen the lights go out Broadway
I saw the Empire State laid low
And life went on beyond the Palisades
They all bought Cadillacs
And left there long ago

They held a concert out in Brooklyn
To watch the island bridges blow
They turned our power down
And drove us underground
But we went right on with the show

I've seen the lights go out on Broadway
I saw the ruins at my feet
You know we almost didn't notice it
We'd seen it all the time on Forty second street

They burned the churches down in Harlem
Like in that Spanish civil war
The flames were everywhere
But no one really cared
It always burned up there before

I've seen the lights go out on Broadway
I saw the mighty skyline fall
The boats were waiting at the battery
The union went on strike
They never sailed at all

They sent a carrier out from Norfolk
And picked the Yankees up for free
They said that Queens could stay
And blew the Bronx away
And sank Manhattan out at sea

You know those lights were bright on Broadway
That was so many years ago
Before we all lived here in Florida
Before the Mafia took over Mexico
There are not many who remember
They say a handful still survive
To tell the world about
The way the lights went out
And keep the memory alive

PS leave the Yankees

#45 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Miami will be as screwed as NOLA was if a major hurricane rolls through there.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com