Photo
- - - - -

Observations on the coverage or lackthereof the Tea Parties.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Are there levees protecting Miami?

#47 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

NC/VA are no stranger to hurricanes, which is why i'm always surprised when people here say not to rebuild.

when Isabelle hit here years ago i remember Lousianna DOT coming up to help.

#48 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

now is the time with jobs in need and % rates are low. build what makes sense for a good price and plan way ahead.

#49 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

NC/VA are no stranger to hurricanes, which is why i'm always surprised when people here say not to rebuild.

when Isabelle hit here years ago i remember Lousianna DOT coming up to help.

The difference is that large parts of New Orleans are below sea level. Even Miami is mostly above sealevel. I don't know if it should be rebuilt, but it shouldn't be as large as it is. And no one should be building on the NC outer banks.

#50 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

Irrelevant if the wetlands are restored along with strong levees.

the dutch have made it work, can the U.S not do the same? or are you admitting the U.S is inferior to the Dutch?

There's a saying, "God created the world but the Dutch created the Netherlands."

And as far as levees and hydroengineering go, yes the Dutch are better.

#51 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

homgenious societies get the luxury of not having to spread money and resources around a country about 100 times larger, ie the Netherlands.
This coming from a diehard Lions fan...of the orange jersey variety.

#52 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,570 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

The 9th ward is done, only 8% of the population there returned. But many other neighborhoods are coming along very nicely, and in some cases better than before.

Quite a few of that 8% have relocated to the Charlotte area.

Actually, when I moved back here from Miami in September of 2005, I stayed at the Amerisuites (think it's a Hilton property or something now) on Arrowood while I was closing on my house. This Amerisuites was housing quite a few Katrina victims. Every night when I got to the hotel after work to get to my room, I had to walk into the main entrance through a large group of people gambling, drinking beer, smoking, rolling dice, and loudly raising hell. Great way to spend your per diem... Gambling, PBR, and cigs. The manager was quite upset at the way the hotel was being treated by the guests. The guests could have cared less per the manager.

I was down in N.O. before Christmas. In my opinion, outside of the French Quarter and that main drag through downtown (the street that the trolly runs up and down), New Orleans seems pretty dirty. Same as it was before Katrina.

Edited by SouthCakPanther, 20 April 2009 - 12:56 PM.

#53 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Quite a few of that 8% have relocated to the Charlotte area.

Actually, when I moved back here from Miami in September of 2005, I stayed at the Amerisuites (think it's a Hilton property or something now) on Arrowood while I was closing on my house. This Amerisuites was housing quite a few Katrina victims. Every night when I got to the hotel after work to get to my room, I had to walk into the main entrance through a large group of people gambling, drinking beer, smoking, rolling dice, and loudly raising hell. Great way to spend your per diem... Gambling, PBR, and cigs. The manager was quite upset at the way the hotel was being treated by the guests. The guests could have cared less per the manager.

I was down in N.O. before Christmas. In my opinion, outside of the French Quarter and that main drag through downtown (the street that the trolly runs up and down), New Orleans seems pretty dirty. Same as it was before Katrina.

Unfortunately I heard many stories like this, especially from friends in Houston.

#54 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

Houston, Charlotte, etc. can keep those types. They only halted progress that is finally happening.

Eh, the beautiful neighborhoods in the city are still clean like before the storm, and the shitty areas are still dirty.

#55 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Houston, Charlotte, etc. can keep those types. They only halted progress that is finally happening.

Eh, the beautiful neighborhoods in the city are still clean like before the storm, and the pooty areas are still dirty.

How is that fair to Houston and Charlotte?

#56 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,570 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

I thought it was Bush and the Republicans? Make up your mind. So what you are saying is that "they" were the reason N.O. was a dump and was slow to rebuild. Very interesting coming from a person that rips the government for failing in N.O. Weren't these the same people that were "suffering" and "neglected" in N.O. and now you are saying good ridance?

Typical......:( And you guys say the republicans are the problem.

#57 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

I did not mean all of the people rescued/evacuated from the city, I meant the ones who are still living in FEMA paid apartments/hotels without looking for a job.

#58 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

I did not mean all of the people rescued/evacuated from the city, I meant the ones who are still living in FEMA paid apartments/hotels without looking for a job.

These are the same ones I was talking about (the handout seeking crowd) and you jumped all over me for it two years ago.

#59 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

i'm having tea right now. ryokucha green tea, it's very earthy and fresh tasting. i've spent way too much money at samovarlife.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.