#16 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,317 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

I would not be against drafting him, in the least. Here's why:

1.) You can play him out of position, and Beason has experience at OLB as well. We'll find a spot for him.

2.) It is extremely rare to find players that have an unmitigated love for violence. Football, at its heart, is still a violent sport. The key is channeling that rage on the field in a constructive manner, and Rivera is perfectly suited to coach that kind of player with his background. I guarantee you Ron has done his homework on this guy: if we have the opportunity to draft him and pass, then he found red flags bigger than his emotions and coverage weaknesses.

3.) Burfict absolutely has struggles with his coverage skills, but frankly, that's understandable in the college setting, particularly in the zone coverage systems favored in the PAC-12. Their entire system is designed to play him in space and let his athleticism take over, and they probably do little in the way of actual coaching. He has shown the desire to work on things that would prevent him from reaching his goals in leaving home and doing the work necessary to pull his grades up. I would not be surprised to see the same effort in understanding the pro game.

We aren't the Panthers of old. Drafting Cam is indication enough of that. Rivera wants to find game-changing talents, and it is harder to find those on defense than it is on offense. We already experienced life with one freak athlete who didn't have an unquenchable desire for the game, and the results spoke for themselves. There's a reason you see him mocked to the Steelers and Ravens a lot : he is exactly the kind of player their defensive philosophies love. Rivera is trying to instill a similar philosophy here, where we put talent into the schemes rather than hoping that the schemes cover up for our players' deficiencies (ala Foxball.)

#17 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would not be against drafting him, in the least. Here's why:

1.) You can play him out of position, and Beason has experience at OLB as well. We'll find a spot for him.

2.) It is extremely rare to find players that have an unmitigated love for violence. Football, at its heart, is still a violent sport. The key is channeling that rage on the field in a constructive manner, and Rivera is perfectly suited to coach that kind of player with his background. I guarantee you Ron has done his homework on this guy: if we have the opportunity to draft him and pass, then he found red flags bigger than his emotions and coverage weaknesses.

3.) Burfict absolutely has struggles with his coverage skills, but frankly, that's understandable in the college setting, particularly in the zone coverage systems favored in the PAC-12. Their entire system is designed to play him in space and let his athleticism take over, and they probably do little in the way of actual coaching. He has shown the desire to work on things that would prevent him from reaching his goals in leaving home and doing the work necessary to pull his grades up. I would not be surprised to see the same effort in understanding the pro game.

We aren't the Panthers of old. Drafting Cam is indication enough of that. Rivera wants to find game-changing talents, and it is harder to find those on defense than it is on offense. We already experienced life with one freak athlete who didn't have an unquenchable desire for the game, and the results spoke for themselves. There's a reason you see him mocked to the Steelers and Ravens a lot : he is exactly the kind of player their defensive philosophies love. Rivera is trying to instill a similar philosophy here, where we put talent into the schemes rather than hoping that the schemes cover up for our players' deficiencies (ala Foxball.)

Burfict also has on-field problems, in which he didn't listen to any of his coaches at Arizona, costing them tons of penalties because of his disregard for authority. Many scouts have said Burfict has been this way ever since highschool. And he has not yet changed.

#18 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Report: Vontaze Burfict punched ASU teammate
http://www.cbssports...156338/31191802

#19 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

He might change in the NFL, maybe Rivera is the man to do it, but we have so many other holes I think we should address them first.

#20 Panthers69473

Panthers69473

Mr Mojo Risin

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

If we ran a 3-4 defense then he'd be a good pick but we already have our starting MLB

#21 I am Hubby

I am Hubby

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

Its fuggin stupid when you post your opinion and some people on here act like their on a pedestal compared to some other posters. None of yall are any bigger of a Panthers fan than me.

My bad I don't have time to get thousands of posts on here but that sure dont make me any less of a Panthers fan

You tell em kid. If you have something to say, say it. Some will flame you. Some will just throw out some glib retort. And some will actually agree with you. Not great odds, but better than being a jags fan.

The only people you HAVE to please are your wife and yourself. Most other people have their own agenda, and if they are not interested in what you say it is no big loss.

Anyway, this guy is certifiable. Do not want. And GOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

If you put a player on this board as "PANTHERS HAVE TO DRAFT THIS GUY BECAUSE ...." you have to ready to defend him. If you don't want any one to comment on your suggestion start a blog. If you don't want any smart ass comments... well don't even post on the internet.

#23 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ravens are likely to take him in the 1st to be Lewis' Successor.

#24 I am Hubby

I am Hubby

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

He might change in the NFL, maybe Rivera is the man to do it, but we have so many other holes I think we should address them first.

Any other position than MLB and I may be swayed into wanting him. If he is there in the 4th, I say why not. But like you said. We have way too many holes to waste a 1st or 2nd on a player who already has one foot in the loony bin.

If there is a DT out there with this guys distain towards human life. I say grab that badazz. Helll, almost any position other than MLB and I may rethink my stance.

Who am I kidding. This kid is a prison sentence waiting to happen.

#25 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Not this poo again. Posted Image

Posted Image

You tell em kid. If you have something to say, say it. Some will flame you. Some will just throw out some glib retort. And some will actually agree with you. Not great odds, but better than being a jags fan.

The only people you HAVE to please are your wife and yourself. Most other people have their own agenda, and if they are not interested in what you say it is no big loss.

Anyway, this guy is certifiable. Do not want. And GOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like JT writes logical posts often. Typically it's something along the lines of "SIGN LYLE ALZADO! he's still young!`1!" or "HAHA clearly this guy sucks cause he's injured, Im so happy to tell you this!"

I often have trouble understanding where he's comin from, but then again he posts funny pictures so I give him a pass.

#26 I am Hubby

I am Hubby

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ravens are likely to take him in the 1st to be Lewis' Successor.

Heard that on the Van Pelt show. And thought then that it sounded unfounded. Buttfetch is a disaster waiting to happen. I do not see ANY team taking him in the 1st. And I'll go as far as saying he may last until the 3rd. Teams have too much to do to babysit a draft pick.

#27 I am Hubby

I am Hubby

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Like JT writes logical posts often. Typically it's something along the lines of "SIGN LYLE ALZADO! he's still young!`1!" or "HAHA clearly this guy sucks cause he's injured, Im so happy to tell you this!"

I often have trouble understanding where he's comin from, but then again he posts funny pictures so I give him a pass.

The vast majority on this here Huddlez rarely have anything of import to share. One of the main reasons I do not post that much is precisely because most people seem to live by the credo that glib is the shizzle, and rational exchanges of ideas is to be avoided at all costs.

In reality, I was backing a fellow die hard. We have to stick together. Especially in the off-season where topics of importance are few and far between.

Die hard fans are people too. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Jt is a casual fan with too much time on his hands. If it were not for his pics, and condescending attitude he would probably never be noticed.

Edited by iamhubby, 12 February 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#28 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Report: Vontaze Burfict punched ASU teammate
http://www.cbssports...156338/31191802

So did Steve Smith. Your point is?

#29 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

So did Steve Smith. Your point is?

Maybe it's just me but I've not seen Smith earn many personal foul penalties at all, nor have I see him repeatedly and openly clash with coaches on the sidelines. It does happen once in a while for him, as with any player with the kind of passion he has for the game, but I never feel like he is undisciplined when he is on the field.

It's one thing to have "anger issues," it's another to let those anger issues cost your team during games...

All that being said, I didn't recall Smith having anything even CLOSE to this kinda poo when he was coming out of college, but maybe that's because he was never considered a first round prospect, I dunno.

Edited by mav1234, 12 February 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#30 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 10,195 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

ehhh I'm not so sure on him with the 8th pick in the draft, if he falls to the second or we trade down then I would think we would give it serious consideration.

Although we did draft Hogan last year, the Panthers tend to avoid guys with huge character concerns, and from everything I've seen/heard this guy has got some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com