Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#6 LeBron James

429 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[center][img]http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/c2/fullj.3dfe2d0326c32914f918f73fa66c4a0f/ap-201203012307832663908.jpg[/img][/center]
[quote]PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—Looking ahead to the prospect of facing the Trail Blazers without Chris Bosh, Heat coach Eric Spoelstra told LeBron James he was going to need a “Magic Johnson-type” night from him.

James delivered.

[B]The Miami star scored 38 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, and added six assists and five steals, to lead Heat to a 107-93 victory in Portland on Thursday night.[/B]

It was the ninth straight win for the Heat, who at 28-7 are off to their best 35-game start in franchise history.[/quote]

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AlNKEUEh89gWzuk7LwFTlZ05nYcB?gid=2012030122[/url]

Posted · Report post

"Magic Johnson-type".
No, Magic has a lot of rings.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene']"Magic Johnson-type".
No, Magic has a lot of rings.[/QUOTE]

...as a Kareem "sidekick". How many by himself? :)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene']"Magic Johnson-type".
No, Magic has a lot of rings.[/QUOTE]

He did say performance that night.... not career. So in the context i don't see how you say no, because he went out and played a great game last night.

Posted · Report post

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[/url][yt]QvjFPOog1SE[/yt]

Posted · Report post

Who? Are you talking about Dwayne Wade's little sidekick?

Posted · Report post

LBJ with another great game but in a loss vs Utah. Finished with 35 points, 6 assist and 10 rebounds. He did pass up a last second shot for the win but that shouldn't be surprising.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa']...as a Kareem "sidekick". How many by himself? :)[/QUOTE]

Pssst, KT.
Kareem played 4 years in Los Angeles before getting his 1st ring with the Lakers in Magic's rookie season in the league.
Cap finished with 5 NBA Championships with the Lakers and Magic Johnson. The last one at age 40, just a shadow of his previous greatness and averaged just 14 a game in the Playoffs.
As you probably know KT, Magic's career was cut short by Aids. He only played one full season without his good friend Kareem Abdul Jabbar before he was forced off the court.
The "Sidekick" Also covered for Cap Game 6 of the Finals in 1980.

[yt]6Hyo1ugJ0IU[/yt]

Shame on you KT!

Posted · Report post

Lebron bricks several shots at the end of the game in a road loss to the Lakers today

Posted · Report post

[quote name='AggieLean.']Lebron bricks several shots at the end of the game in a road loss to the Lakers today[/QUOTE]
So another normal performance?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='AggieLean.']Lebron bricks several shots at the end of the game in a road loss to the Lakers today[/QUOTE]

25, 11, and 7. Even had time to check 7 foot Pau Gasol for most of the day. Think you'll ever see Kobe or Durant guarding another team's all star big man? Basketball is more than just chucking shots and mimicking Jordan.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene']Pssst, KT.
Kareem played 4 years in Los Angeles before getting his 1st ring with the Lakers in Magic's rookie season in the league.[/quote]

Kareem had already won a title in Milwaukee with HOF PG Oscar Robertson. He was already a 4 time MVP and had numerous scoring titles before Magic got there. It was CLEARLY his team. In 1979 when LA drafted him, they were a 2nd round playoff team and got the #1 overall pick in a trade with bottom feeder NO Jazz. It'd be the equilivant of last year's Lakers getting the #1 overall pick and drafting Kyrie Irving. Magic was privileged enough to be drafted by a playoff team full of all stars like Kareem, Norm Nixon, Wilkes. [B]Magic never had the heart or desire to lead a team from scratch like a LeBron and be the man.[/B] He's on record as saying if the Bulls had won the coin flip that year (over LA) he would've went back to school.

[quote]Cap finished with 5 NBA Championships with the Lakers and Magic Johnson.[/quote]

As stated, he has [b]6[/b] total rings and 6 MVPs. Thats more than 2 times as many MVP awards as Magic. Kareem is the ALL TIME LEADING SCORER in NBA history. Let me repeat that, he is the ALL TIME LEADING SCORER in NBA history as a big man. Dont think that helped Magic out a bit?

[quote]As you probably know KT, Magic's career was cut short by Aids. He only played one full season without his good friend Kareem Abdul Jabbar before he was forced off the court.
The "Sidekick" Also covered for Cap Game 6 of the Finals in 1980. [/quote]

Magic should've never got Finals MVP in 1980. Kareem was averaging 33.4 points and over 12 boards a game thru 5 games. Had it not been for Magic being more "media friendly" he wouldnt've got it. Look at Kareem's #'s that series than Magic's and tell me why the "sidekick" won MVP?

[quote]Shame on you KT!.[/QUOTE]

Shame on me for looking at Magic for what he is. A HOF PG that would be titleless had he not played with HOFers and all stars his whole career. He never took a bottom feeder to the Finals. He never took a sorry team and made it great. He was blessed to play on great teams and a great organization his whole career. How many NBA players can say that? Not many. The one Finals he played in without Kareem he won 1 game at age 32.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa']Kareem had already won a title in Milwaukee with HOF PG Oscar Robertson. He was already a 4 time MVP and had numerous scoring titles before Magic got there. It was CLEARLY his team. In 1979 when LA drafted him, they were a 2nd round playoff team and got the #1 overall pick in a trade with bottom feeder NO Jazz. It'd be the equilivant of last year's Lakers getting the #1 overall pick and drafting Kyrie Irving. Magic was privileged enough to be drafted by a playoff team full of all stars like Kareem, Norm Nixon, Wilkes. [B][COLOR=red]Magic never had the heart or desire to lead a team from scratch like a LeBron and be the man.[/COLOR][/B] He's on record as saying if the Bulls had won the coin flip that year (over LA) he would've went back to school.

[/QUOTE]

[B]Just speechless. [/B]:lol:

Posted · Report post

[quote] [B]"I'd have stayed in school,"[/B] he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. [B]"A coin toss changed the course of my whole life."[/B] Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

[B]"I wouldn't have played here,"[/B] Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his.[B] "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."[/B][/quote]

[url]http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-05/sports/sp-83_1_lakers[/url]

Magic, Bird, Michael, Barkley, Malone, etc. All these dudes from the 80s are so lucky they dont play today. On the court they are far superior to today's players, but off the court they werent no different in a lot of ways and a bigger mess in others. Magic's lucky we didnt have a 24 hour sports news cycle/twitter/etc to hold him accountable for such statements and remind people of his and his fans hypocrisy. Magic wanted no parts of going to a sorry 30 win Bulls team at that time. He wanted to be Kareem's "sidekick".

Posted · Report post

[center][img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/05/article-2110469-1209B580000005DC-858_634x474.jpg[/img][/center]
[quote]SINGAPORE — Dunkin' Brands Inc. said Monday that NBA superstar Lebron James has agreed to promote Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins ice cream in Asia where the company has about a third of its stores.

James will promote Dunkin's brands in China, Taiwan, India and South Korea through advertisements, online media and in-store marketing, Dunkin' said. James will also make personal appearances in Asia after the season ends in June.

Dunkin' executive John Costello declined to give the terms of the deal, but said it was multiyear and worth multimillions of dollars.

[B]"I'm really excited about partnering with Dunkin' Brands and connecting with the huge community of basketball fans"[/B] in Asia, James said in a statement.
[B]
James, a two-time NBA Most Valuable Player, has the best-selling basketball jersey and shoe in China and has visited Asia four times. China is the NBA's second-biggest market after the U.S., and NBA players often visit Asia on behalf of shoe companies or other sponsors during the offseason.[/B]

Dunkin' is hoping James' popularity will help boost sales in a region where it has about 5,400 stores, or about a third of its global total. Dunkin' plans to add at least 250 stores in Asia during the next two to three years, Chief Executive Nigel Travis said.

Dunkin' opened its first restaurant in Vietnam in December and plans to open its inaugural store in India later this year, Travis said. South Korea has the most Dunkin' stores in Asia with about 1,900 while Japan has 1,087 – all Baskin-Robbins.

The company plans to boosts its total shops in China by 100 over the next few years from a current 150, Travis said.

The James deal "is Asia focused and reflects our commitment to Asia," Travis told reporters in Singapore. "Lebron has a strong commitment to building his relationship in Asia so he's definitely planning multiple trips to Asia in the offseason this year."

The popularity of basketball in Asia has grown during the last decade, in part because of former Houston Rockets center Yao Ming of China, who retired last year. New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin has become an overnight sensation in Asia, especially in China and Taiwan. Lin, whose parents were born in Taiwan, is the first Asia-American player in the NBA.

Costello said Dunkin is happy to have snagged James, who has been an All-Star for eight seasons.

Lin "certainly is an exciting new player with 20 games to his history," said Costello, who is Dunkin's chief global marketing and innovation officer. "But Lebron James has had a fabulous nine years. We think the excitement around Jeremy Lin will actually create more awareness in Asia."

James, 27, is in his ninth NBA season since turning professional straight out of high school. His Miami Heat lost in last year's finals to the Dallas Mavericks.[/quote]

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/lebron-james-dunkin-donuts-asia_n_1320547.html[/url]

[center][img]http://www.shoot-hoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lebron-doughnut.jpg[/img][/center]

Posted · Report post

sorry KT...I saw Lebron quit on his team late in the game yesterday.

he's big and yup, he can dunk....but he's no Kobe!

the whole argument of who has ever won what without sidekicks is rediculous! You play golf man vs man, basketball is a team sport

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Hawk']sorry KT...I saw Lebron quit on his team late in the game yesterday.

he's big and yup, he can dunk....but he's no Kobe!

the whole argument of who has ever won what without sidekicks is rediculous! You play golf man vs man, basketball is a team sport[/QUOTE]

How do you figure Lebron quit? He landed on some random ladies foot and twisted his ankle....looked to me as if he probably should have sat down at that point cuz there was no way there were going to win the game..

Posted · Report post

did you see the look on her face? he didn't land on her foot...might have caught the end of her shoe or something!! If that wasn't him quitting...I guess he's a lazy defender with a piss poor attitude???? you decide

Posted · Report post

that lady looked at him like she hated the fact he was anywhere near her...but seriously, he spent the whole game guarding Pau, and did a d#$$# good job at it. Pau didn't get the best of the match-up.... I know you like Kobe and all, but give LeBron his props, Kobe would not match up with Pau or any other 7 footer for that matter

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa']25, 11, and 7. Even had time to check 7 foot Pau Gasol for most of the day. Think you'll ever see Kobe or Durant guarding another team's all star big man? Basketball is more than just chucking shots and mimicking Jordan.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't trust Durant against another team's all star big man, because he's a skinny cat. But I'm just foolin around, man. I just took that shot, because you came after my guy Durant earlier :lol:
Bron did his thing against Gasol yesterday, and had a good game. I'm most impressed with Lebron's assist numbers. As a PG all throughout grade school and high school, that's what I examine most, and I'm amazed that a guy his size has the court vision and touch with his passes that he does.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa']Kareem had already won a title in Milwaukee with HOF PG Oscar Robertson. He was already a 4 time MVP and had numerous scoring titles before Magic got there. It was CLEARLY his team. In 1979 when LA drafted him, they were a 2nd round playoff team and got the #1 overall pick in a trade with bottom feeder NO Jazz. It'd be the equilivant of last year's Lakers getting the #1 overall pick and drafting Kyrie Irving. Magic was privileged enough to be drafted by a playoff team full of all stars like Kareem, Norm Nixon, Wilkes. [B]Magic never had the heart or desire to lead a team from scratch like a LeBron and be the man.[/B] He's on record as saying if the Bulls had won the coin flip that year (over LA) he would've went back to school.

As stated, he has [b]6[/b] total rings and 6 MVPs. Thats more than 2 times as many MVP awards as Magic. Kareem is the ALL TIME LEADING SCORER in NBA history. Let me repeat that, he is the ALL TIME LEADING SCORER in NBA history as a big man. Dont think that helped Magic out a bit?

Magic should've never got Finals MVP in 1980. Kareem was averaging 33.4 points and over 12 boards a game thru 5 games. Had it not been for Magic being more "media friendly" he wouldnt've got it. Look at Kareem's #'s that series than Magic's and tell me why the "sidekick" won MVP?

Shame on me for looking at Magic for what he is. A HOF PG that would be titleless had he not played with HOFers and all stars his whole career. He never took a bottom feeder to the Finals. He never took a sorry team and made it great. He was blessed to play on great teams and a great organization his whole career. How many NBA players can say that? Not many. The one Finals he played in without Kareem he won 1 game at age 32.[/QUOTE]

Kareem, in my opinion, is the 2nd greatest player of all-time. However, you're going too far to try and discredit Magic. Magic was the most important player on the Lakers during the Showtime era. Besides his skyhook, Magic is the main reason that Kareem remained such an offensive treat well into his late 30s.

Also, I have watched every game of that 1980 NBA Finals series, and there is no doubt that Magic deserved MVP. He averaged a near triple-double (22, 11, and 9) while shooting nearly 60% from the field. Kareem got TONS of easy baskets during that series because of Magic. And while Kareem was sitting on the sideline injured during game-6, Magic started at center and scored 42 points, grabbed 15 rebounds, and dished out 7 assists in a series clinching win to give the Lakers the championship. How are you going to give Finals MVP to Kareem when his team won game-6 despite him not playing? I could see your point had Kareem played in game-6 and the Lakers still won.

And I love how you try to downplay the fact that Magic lead the Lakers back to the Finals without Kareem in '91. His Lakers only won 1 game against Jordan's Bulls. So what...no one expected that Lakers team to knockoff the Bulls. No one even expected the Lakers to make it to the Finals. Portland was the favorite to come out of the west.

[QUOTE]Magic never had the heart or desire to lead a team from scratch like a LeBron and be the man.[/QUOTE]

This is a ridiculous statement and you know it, KT. Magic played in an era when it was rare for players to leave college after only 2 years. Had Chicago landed the number 1 pick, Magic would have stayed in college, but not because he didn't have the desire to lead a team, but because he loved college. By all accounts Magic had no intentions of leaving college early. Then the Lakers unexpectedly landed the number 1 pick and he seen a Golden opportunity to play with Kareem. I'm sure that MJ would have left college sooner if seen the same opportunity. It had nothing to do with Magic not wanting to be "the man". Magic proved that he was the man time-and-time again.

Unfortunately, I'm probably wasting my time responding to you with a serious reply.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CarolinaBlue704']Kareem, in my opinion, is the 2nd greatest player of all-time. However, you're going too far to try and discredit Magic. Magic was the most important player on the Lakers during the Showtime era. Besides his skyhook, Magic is the main reason that Kareem remained such an offensive treat well into his late 30s. [/quote]

Kareem would've been a great center and produced with any PG. He had already won a title and numerous scoring titles before Magic arrived. Without having an MVP type presence in Kareem, Magic wouldnt've gotten by Philly, Boston, & Detroit front courts in the Finals.

[quote]Also, I have watched every game of that 1980 NBA Finals series, and there is no doubt that Magic deserved MVP. He averaged a near triple-double (22, 11, and 9) while shooting nearly 60% from the field. Kareem got TONS of easy baskets during that series because of Magic. And while Kareem was sitting on the sideline injured during game-6, Magic started at center and scored 42 points, grabbed 15 rebounds, and dished out 7 assists in a series clinching win to give the Lakers the championship. How are you going to give Finals MVP to Kareem when his team won game-6 despite him not playing? I could see your point had Kareem played in game-6 and the Lakers still won.[/quote]

Thats 1 game. Kareem was the reason they won the first 3. He had a 40 point game that series and averaged more than 10 points a game more than Magic. 12 boards and a few blocks a game is secondary to 22, 11, & 9? Dont think so.

[quote]And I love how you try to downplay the fact that Magic lead the Lakers back to the Finals without Kareem in '91. His Lakers only won 1 game against Jordan's Bulls. [B]So what...no one expected that Lakers team to knockoff the Bulls[/B]. No one even expected the Lakers to make it to the Finals. Portland was the favorite to come out of the west.[/quote]

Thats a cop out. In the article I posted that came out at the time of that series you can clearly see Magic expected to win. He wasnt in awe of a Bulls franchise and a ringless Jordan at that point. Magic already had 5 rings and had been in numerous Finals, Jordan had 0 and 0 Finals appearances at that point, and you telling me as a competitor he didnt expect to win? Its very telling that when Kareem broke down/retired Magic was only able to win 1 Finals game in the last 2 he appeared.

[quote]This is a ridiculous statement and you know it, KT. Magic played in an era when it was rare for players to leave college after only 2 years. [B]Had Chicago landed the number 1 pick, Magic would have stayed in college, but not because he didn't have the desire to lead a team, but because he loved college.[/B] By all accounts Magic had no intentions of leaving college early. Then the Lakers unexpectedly landed the number 1 pick and he seen a Golden opportunity to play with Kareem. I'm sure that MJ would have left college sooner if seen the same opportunity. It had nothing to do with Magic not wanting to be "the man". Magic proved that he was the man time-and-time again.[/quote]

My article link contradicts that statement. He didnt mention anything about "loving college", he had already won NCAA title. He did mention he wanted to go to a specific team and shuddered at the thought of some of the others had he stayed in school. Thats fine and dandy, he wanted to play for an established playoff team featuring perhaps 1 of the 3 best centers of all time. Nothing wrong with that. Just dont hold him in the same esteem as say a Larry Bird or a Kevin Garnett or a Kyrie Irving or a LeBron James. You know guys who actually went to sorry teams and either tried or are trying to turn them around to be contenders. You have to take that into account when looking at the success in Magic's career. As soon as the talent around him dwindled, Magic wasnt the same player nor had the same success.For perspective, Magic's teammates his first 7 years...

Two first team All-Rookie selections (Byron Scott, James Worthy)
11 All-Star appearances (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar seven times, Norm Nixon twice, Worthy, Jamaal Wilkes)
Four All-NBA first team selections (Abdul-Jabbar)
Two All-NBA second team selections (Abdul-Jabbar)
Five All-Defensive first team selections (Michael Cooper three times, Abdul-Jabbar twice)
Four All-Defensive second team selections (Cooper three times, Abdul-Jabbar once)
One MVP Award (Abdul-Jabbar)
[I]In addition, Abdul-Jabbar, Worthy, Wilkes, Nixon, and Cooper all got votes for MVP at one point in time or the other during Magic's first seven years, and Cooper won defensive player of the year in Johnson's eighth year.[/I]

LeBron James teammates his first 7 years...

Zero first team All-Rookie Selections
Two All-Star game appearances (Mo Williams, Zydrunas llgauskas)
Zero All-NBA first team selection
Zero All-NBA second team selections
Zero All-Defensive first team selections
One All-Defensive second team selection (Anderson Vareajo)
Zero MVP Awards

Posted · Report post

The Lebron thread about the greatest organization in basketball, the Los Angeles Lakers.
As it should be.
You measure yourself against greatness. So far Lebron falls well short.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene']The Lebron thread about the greatest organization in basketball, the Los Angeles Lakers.
As it should be.
You measure yourself against greatness. So far Lebron falls well short.[/QUOTE]

Magic's coach is now LeBron's GM. I see multiple titles in LeBron's future.

Posted · Report post

Congrats to Lebron James for getting engaged. His fiance now leads the family with 1 ring.