142 replies to this topic

#136 C-A-T-S

C-A-T-S

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

24 hours after probably the most disgusting loss I have ever witnessed:

1. Duke fans like to point to the fact that there were similar number of free throws shot, similar numbers of fouls called etc...What they don't like to acknowledge is that when the fouls are called on CJ Leslie, Richard Howell, and CJ Williams it changes the game more than if they were called on other guys. For the record, Deshawn Painter played 3-4 more minutes than CJ Leslie and I think was called for one..maybe two fouls. Coincidence that the fouls stopped coming on our bigs once the most versatile and talented guy was out of the game?? You decide.

2. Duke plays a perimeter game. They shoot threes. They dribble drive and kick. They do very VERY little in the post. State on the otherhand works their offense from the inside out. We essentially work everything through Leslie, Howell, and Painter. Why is this important?

- For two reasons...The first reason is with all things being equal shouldn't the offensive gameplan alone dictate that Duke get less fouls called in their favor? Big men get fouled more when they are going to the bucket than guards...bottom line. Its more physical down there. So at the very least Duke should have had just as many fouls called on Mason and Miles Plumlee as State had called on Richard Howell and CJ Leslie. But with 12minutes to go in the game CJ Leslie (coincidentally our best player) had 4 fouls, Richard Howell had 4 fouls, and Mason and Miles Plumlee COMBINED had 2 fouls. How does that make sense at all?? We were going to the bucket its not like Howell and Leslie were standing out on the 3 point line shooting perimeter jump shots. In fact...Duke shot freakin 25+ three pointers. State shot 10 or less yet the TOTAL shot difference was around 8-10. Which means that you are probably looking at around 10-15 extra shots for State INSIDE the lane...where contact happens. Just saying...

- The second reason that the offensive gameplan is important to the outcome of the game is that as soon as Leslie and Howell picked up those 4th fouls they were done. Their role in the game was over. They could no longer risk going hard to the bucket. They could no longer risk bodying up to play tough defense (the way Miles and Mason did the ENTIRE NIGHT). They could no longer fight for the loose balls or dive on the floor (which Leslie got called for last night...dove for a ball and subsequently got called for a foul for some reason??). Our two starting big men were for all intents and purposes taken out of the game with 12 minutes to go. So yeah...Mike Gminksi was right, Duke did take us out of our gameplan by fouling out the two focal points of the high post offense. Kinda hard to run when your best POST players aren't in the game.

3. The hand check. Come on Duke fans...lets not act like intensity and pounding the floor is all that K tells his players to do at halftime when playing at Cameron. The handchecking was unreal in the 2nd half. I love it when Brando calls the games and talks about the intensity that Duke plays with at Cameron. The intensity in short is the hand check. They did it all night to Scott Wood with Dawkins, Curry, and Rivers getting what...1 foul a piece? I watched Wood run sideline to sideline trying to run off a screen and basically those guys would either push him off the screen (with their hands) or sandwich him between themselves and their big guy...with no whistle...ever.

4. The flop. There are a couple fouls in particular that stand out to me about last night and they were all on CJ Leslie The first was the Hairston flop in the middle of the lane. Hell...Brando even called him out on it saying that he got the foul call without even being touched. The second is the play where Leslie dove on the floor and got called for a foul when I believe he was the first player on the floor for the ball. The third play was a weakside block that Leslie made (one of many on the night) where Rivers was going to the bucket and Leslie pinned the ball on the glass with both hands...and Rivers flung himself to the ground. That was the play where Leslie was essentially done for the night at the 12 minute mark. All three BS and all three were on the best player on the floor who was dominating the Plumlees.

I'm not stupid though. State had a twenty point lead and we blew it. We lost our composure. We lost the poise and confidence we played with for the first 30 minutes of the game. We HAVE to learn that we can't do that if we want to win. But I will say that if I were CJ Leslie and I was on my way to having a triple double but every time I got aggressive or played hard the whistle blew, I'd get frustrated too. Its hard not to when your pretty much dominating the game and they call a foul on you because a player flops.

But thats what I took from the game. I thought it was horribly officiated on both sides but the horrible officiating on States side mattered more to the outcome of the game because of the amount of calls on a few select players.

Scott Wood Chucker, a perimeter player for State shot more FT's than anybody on our team, so get out of here with that lame conspiracy crap!

#137 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

What was, the outcome??? God state and heels fans are babies. Duke has lost to temple,osu, fsu and miami bc they got BEAT.,they were outplayed and lost. The crying is pathetic simple and plain!!!!!!!

#138 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:52 AM

My best friends is a UNC fan, and I've known him for about 15 years. In all that time, he has always blamed the refs for every UNC or Duke game in which he didn't like the outcome. When Duke came back in exciting fashion and beat State, I was certain he would blame the refs for cheating in favor of Duke. He did, for the 1000th time.

My brother's best friend is a UNC fan. My brother will not discuss college basketball with his friend if the topic of the refs cheating is brought up. The reason is because that's the only topic after a UNC loss, or Duke win. How many times can a person talk about the refs cheating? When does it get old? Apparently never.

#139 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Scott Wood Chucker, a perimeter player for State shot more FT's than anybody on our team, so get out of here with that lame conspiracy crap!

Dude you have to learn you can't have a rational discussion with people on here, they don't care about facts they care about how they got screwed out of a win. unc fans cry about how Duke always gets all the calls even though year in and year out they are called for few less fouls then their opponents and shoot way more free throws then there opponent. This year unc on average is being called for 15.1 fouls per game and their opponent is being called for 19.3 fouls per game compared to Duke being called for 19.8 fouls per game and their opponents being called for 19.9 fouls per game. Then State and unc fans want to complain about how Duke is a 3 point shooting team so how could they possibly get all of the fouls and free throws and what they don't realize is we do have big men down low and Mason Plumlee has shot the most free throws this year for Duke.

#140 C-A-T-S

C-A-T-S

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Dude you have to learn you can't have a rational discussion with people on here, they don't care about facts they care about how they got screwed out of a win. unc fans cry about how Duke always gets all the calls even though year in and year out they are called for few less fouls then their opponents and shoot way more free throws then there opponent. This year unc on average is being called for 15.1 fouls per game and their opponent is being called for 19.3 fouls per game compared to Duke being called for 19.8 fouls per game and their opponents being called for 19.9 fouls per game. Then State and unc fans want to complain about how Duke is a 3 point shooting team so how could they possibly get all of the fouls and free throws and what they don't realize is we do have big men down low and Mason Plumlee has shot the most free throws this year for Duke.

Posted Image

#141 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Then State and unc fans want to complain about how Duke is a 3 point shooting team so how could they possibly get all of the fouls and free throws and what they don't realize is we do have big men down low and Mason Plumlee has shot the most free throws this year for Duke.

:rofl:

#142 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Our bigs have been good enough to be 2-0 vs. U:party:nc & state.

#143 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Mase averages 12ppg and 10rpg and shoots an average of 6 free throws per game which leads the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.